PDA

View Full Version : I felt like a supermom this morning.

WatchingThemGrow
08-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I wasn't, but I felt like it for a second. I took 5 kids on an outing this morning!

Neighbors went to NYC for a few days, left their 8 and 9 year old with an older couple. The mom asked if I could entertain the kids for the morning, so we went to the science museum and did all the outdoor stuff for a few hours.

I had - in and around my BJCED with standing/riding board-
9yo
8yo
4yo
2yo
1yo

And we all survived!!!!!!!! Several strangers' eyes bugged out, and two close friends saw us. I'm exhausted, but I think it will make handling my 3 on a daily basis seem easier. What's the most you've ever had in your care outside your home?

citymama
08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

AshleyAnn
08-20-2010, 03:31 PM
What's the most you've ever had in your care outside your home?

On my own? Two.

You are amazing. Seriously - I can't imagine getting five in the car let alone to a muesum and back. It takes me a half hour to get out of the house with DD.

ourbabygirl
08-20-2010, 03:31 PM
:yeahthat: :cheerleader1: :bighand:

Well, if you count a bunch of kids at camp, or a bunch of high schoolers in class or on a field trip, a lot more, but that's way more work when you have to deal with diapers & potty breaks, car seats, snacks, meals, strollers, etc., etc.!

Good job! :thumbsup:

boolady
08-20-2010, 03:58 PM
What's the most you've ever had in your care outside your home?

Three, by myself as an adult, four, when I used to babysit-Three boys and a sweet baby girl.

brittone2
08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh my. You are amazing!! :bowdown:

KrisM
08-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Awesome!

The most for me was 4. A number of times last May, a friend and I had to kid-swap so we could get to kindergarten/preschool events. So, a few times, I had a 6, 4, 3, and almost 2 year old for an hour or so. But, it was just going from point A to point B and about 30 minutes in between. Nothing like you did!

crl
08-20-2010, 04:27 PM
You are supermom!

The most I've ever had outside my home is four, but that was in our little neighborhood and one was my then two month old. Outside my neighborhood, I've picked up a neighbor's child and walked him home with mine, so three, again one is my little baby though who is often asleep for the whole thing.

Catherine

m448
08-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Not five for sure, just my four - 6.75, 4.5, 2.75 and almost 2 months. We've been running lots of errands lately and I'm amazed on the good days how much easier it is now that the boys are older vs. when it was just the two of them but at 3 and 1. Those were the hair pulling days. Now they mostly help, are easily engaged in conversation (that one can backfire some days) and most importantly walk on their own LOL. Sounds like you guys had a great day and definitely what an awesome favor you did them.

belovedgandp
08-20-2010, 05:34 PM
I've done 5 on my own - ages 2 to 6 - fairly regularly, but nothing like a big outing. Usually just walking to the park or driving to school or to another friend's house.

Roni
08-20-2010, 05:45 PM
That's very impressive. It must be especially difficult when some of them aren't yours. Well done.

I still can't figure out how my mother did it with 6 kids. I vividly remember getting our pictures taken when I was 6. It was classic. Our ages were 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, and an infant. Not only did Mom go on outings with all of us, but sometimes we had a few cousins with us, too. There were seven of them.

g-mama
08-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Good for you! That's quite an outing, too.

I have had 6 kids before, my three and my best friend's 3: two 9 yo's, two 6yo's and two 4yo's. I've watched them all at the pool for an hour once and that was a bit daunting b/c I worried about safety there. And I've taken all six out to Chick Fil A and walking around the mall once.

I regularly take four kids if my oldest ds brings a friend - I'll go anywhere with 4.

hillview
08-20-2010, 07:31 PM
WOW go you!
4 ages 6 months to 4 years. But it was in my house for an hour or so. Venturing out? Nope.
WOW you rock.
/hillary

DietCokeLover
08-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Impressive! I'm not sure I would have even had the guts to try that!

WatchingThemGrow
08-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Well, I have to confess that my DS2 has a cold and doesn't walk, so he stayed in the stroller most of the time. We only had snacks, so no meals to deal with. That's what might have put me over the edge.

Anyway, I think you guys should try it. It was actually kind of fun and a confidence boost. LOTS of stares from other moms. LOTS.

vejemom
08-20-2010, 09:32 PM
I do 5 on a regular basis, but I don't feel like it "counts" because the steps are all preteens/teenagers and thus are largely self-sufficient.

About a month ago, I watched a friend's 6 and 10 year old sons for 7 hours. I went to the grocery store with them and the DDs. One guy walking past in the parking lot looked at me like I had slayer a dragon and said "wow, you've got your hands full!". But actually, it really wasn't too bad. DD#1 was on her best behavior because she wanted to impress the big boys. The boys also rocked! I went to grab a cart, and they had the girls unstrapped and out of their carseats in the 20 seconds that took. They also helped carry in the groceries - something that NEVER has happened at my house. I was almost tempted to keep them!

arivecchi
08-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Holy moly! That's quite a crowd! :bowdown:

DrSally
08-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Wow !! Amazing! I've had people chuckle when 4 kids pile out of my van (DC's and cousins). I don't know how you did it with those ages! Good for you!

LarsMal
08-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Sounds pretty Supermom to me!

I haven't done anything like that yet, but my friend and I took our 6 kids to the beach last week. It seemed like one of us was always focusing on a baby so the other would be left dealing with 5 kids for a short period of time- either at the pool or the beach. Even those short periods of time could get a little stressful.

I did give five kids a bath one night by myself (my 3 and her older 2). That was quite an event, but I managed. That was my supermom *moment*!

carolinamama
08-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Good job! Doing things like that always makes me feel like supermom.

The most kids I've had in my care at once was 6 - my two and then my friends 4.
DS1 - 4.5
DS2 - 1.5
Friend's kids
Boy - 4.5
Boy - 4.5
Boy - 2.5
Girl - 8 months

It was crazy and my house was a disaster at the end of the day but she was in a real bind and I needed to help her out. I felt like supermom at the end of that and I didn't even take them anywhere!