PDA

View Full Version : Did you/do you work in a service based industry

alexsmommy
08-20-2010, 08:37 PM
If so, what did it teach you that you might not have "gotten" otherwise?

For me, I make it a point not just to seek out managers to report horrid service, but for excellent service as well. I've had managers come out with a complete look of dread and be completely surprised when I compliment an employee on "above and beyond" service. I'm not sure I would have done that had I not done my time working at Wendy's in high school.

brittone2
08-20-2010, 08:41 PM
If so, what did it teach you that you might not have "gotten" otherwise?

For me, I make it a point not just to seek out managers to report horrid service, but for excellent service as well. I've had managers come out with a complete look of dread and be completely surprised when I compliment an employee on "above and beyond" service. I'm not sure I would have done that had I not done my time working at Wendy's in high school.

My parents are really good about doing this. I find myself usually in a rush to get off the phone or whatever, but I always admire that they *often* take the time to tell managers, etc. how good their employee was.

Anyway, kudos to you for doing such a positive thing. :thumbsup:

DietCokeLover
08-20-2010, 08:46 PM
We own and operate a motel. I am super conscientious about turning the air and lights off when I leave a hotel now. I also am very aware oh the state with which I leave the room looking for the housekeeping staff. I bet we are their fav hotel guests!

TwinFoxes
08-20-2010, 09:06 PM
I worked in a hotel after college. I learned not to blame an employee for something that is completely beyond their control.

I also learned that name dropping makes you look like an a**. If you're personal friends with Bill Marriott why didn't he book you a better room?

ETA: also, lying to try to get your way makes you look like an a** AND pathetic!

ETA again: although I would have understood all of these even without having worked in the service industry! It's amazing how many people DON'T!

BabyMine
08-20-2010, 09:08 PM
I always try and make cashiers smile and remember to thank them. My first job was as a chasier in a pharmacy.

I always clean our tables and stack dishes when we are at resturants becasue my mom was a waitress.

I was yelled at a couple times at the pharmacy so I learned that even though things go wrong getting angry and rude will not help.

niccig
08-20-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm very nice and I thank people for their work. I thank the guy that is bussing our table - so many people ignore or are rude to people in service industry.

I also learned that I did not want to work with food or with the general public. I was a librarian at a university for a long time, and the service experience helped there, but now I don't want to work with a particular group of students either - burnt out dealing with the difficult ones

hellokitty
08-20-2010, 09:14 PM
When I was working, I was a RN. I learned to appreciate when I had help (most units I worked on, we didn't have nurses aides). I learned that there are a LOT of dysfunctional ppl out there. I also learned that as hard as you try, some ppl will just never be happy. I also learned that many ppl said they would write a letter to my mgr about how great I was, but nobody ever wrote that letter (I did have a patient come back with a gift for me, but I quit working on that unit and the nurses there were bitchy and didn't tell him which unit I transferred to). I also learned how fulfilling it was to have patients who verbally expressed their appreciation and gave me a big hug the last time I saw them.

randomkid
08-20-2010, 09:22 PM
I worked at Disney in college. There I learned that everything is everybody's job. You better not get caught saying "It's not my job" there. Everyone sweeps up garbage, gives directions, answers the phones, etc. We were all trained to do it all, just some do more of certain things than others.

I now work in a hospital and patients are always surprised when I do something that they consider "not my job". If every employer trained every employee the way Disney does, everyone's job would be much easier. It is so annoying to me when someone will go out of their way to avoid doing a simple task that they consider to be someone else's responsibility. Often times, it would take less time for them to do the task than to find that other person.

wencit
08-20-2010, 09:45 PM
I've never personally worked in the service industry, but my sister did work for Banana Republic for several months. Ever since then, I always try to fold up clothes neatly after I look at them instead of just throwing them back down on the tables!

kijip
08-20-2010, 09:59 PM
I've never really worked retail but I have: cleaned b & b rooms, worked in a box office for the opera, and been a nanny. I'm a great hotel cleaner tipper. And I try and treat everyone well, though I think that would have been the case regardless. My husband worked at a department store for 5 years during and after college. He folds up displays reflexively now, I have to pull him away. :hysterical:

DebbieJ
08-21-2010, 12:57 AM
I worked at Kohl's in various capacities. If I try clothes on and decide against purchasing, I put the items back on the rack where I found them. If I don't have the time to do that, I at least put everything back on the hangars properly.

liz
08-21-2010, 07:37 AM
I learned not to blame an employee for something that is completely beyond their control.

:yeahthat: I used to work as a cashier in a supermarket while in high school and through college. Now I work as a nurse. Sometimes things are beyond our control.

With that said, I also learned to see the other side of a situation. If a customer/patient/patient family member is upset, all it takes it some words of understanding and an "I'm sorry". That usually helps to deffuse the situation.

DebbieJ
08-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I always clean our tables and stack dishes when we are at resturants becasue my mom was a waitress.

I don't have any experience as a server, but I do this anyway. It just helps clean up the table while we're still sitting there.

hellokitty
08-22-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't have any experience as a server, but I do this anyway. It just helps clean up the table while we're still sitting there.

I'm the same way. I try to pick up too, when the baby gets food all over the place.