PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else shocked at their baby's gender?

teedeedee
08-21-2010, 12:05 AM
We chose to not find out the gender of our babies prior to birth. With my DD, I just *knew* I was having a girl. And, of course, I was right!

For baby #2, I have spent months agonizing over the perfect girl's name because I just *knew* I was having another girl. Was still negotiating girl names with DH during my c/s...and then the doc told DH to stand up & tell me what we had. Isaac Liam was born today- 8 lbs 8 oz @ 39 weeks exactly. It did make the naming simple. =)

I am still completely shocked. Not even a little disappointed, but still in disbelief- even as I look at his sweet face!

Anyone else have a feeling that was completely wrong?

ncat
08-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Congratulations! Enjoy your sweet baby boy.

I was surprised to find out DD was a girl - but at the ultrasound. I had plenty of time to get used to the idea before she was born, as well as a second more convincing ultrasound. We decided to find out the gender not so much to ruin the surprise, but because our 1st ultrasound was so impressive, that we didn't want to miss a thing!

BabyMine
08-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Congratularions and happy birthday Liam!!!!!

TT was a complete shock. I swore I was having a girl. I had dreams about baby girls and my intuitiopn said girl. When we had the US and found out it was a boy I was in shock. I thought they were kidding and I kept thinking that they must be wrong becasue I just knew I was having a girl. I delivered a little boy and I couldn't be happier.

KpbS
08-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Congratulations! DH and I just found out baby #3 is a girl and we were very surprised! We were scraping the bottom of the barrel for boys names but have never had the chance to use one of our girl's names--exciting!

Boys are so fun--I love mine :)

citymama
08-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Congratulations! Love both his names. Enjoy your beautiful baby boy!

AnnieW625
08-21-2010, 01:55 AM
Congratulations on the birth of your little boy:)

We didn't find out the sex any of the three times I was pregnant, however with each baby I had an ultrasound and each time at a different time during the pregnancy I saw nothing between the legs.

With DD1 at 17 weeks during the u/s DD1 had started moving around a lot and during the part of the u/s I could watch I saw DD1's legs moving and I didn't see anything in between. With DD1 I did convince myself that DD1 was a boy for about the last week of my pregnancy so I wouldn't be disapointed if it was a boy.

With DD2 at the 17 week u/s the u/s tech put the wand down on my belly after I had laid back down and I saw nothing between the legs again from a butt to head view. Again we didn't find out the sex. I didn't care one way or the other with DD2.

Either way I was suprised both times, but happy that I was able to predict the gender both times about the same time as I had the first time.

niccig
08-21-2010, 02:44 AM
I was shocked because I had no idea what to do with a boy. I have 2 sisters, and had never really been around younger boys as my male cousins lived across the country. My reaction at the ultrasound was to tell DH that he was teaching potty training. How would I know how to teach DS to pee. Well, you learn. I potty trained DS and then DH showed him the finer points of peeing outside or at a urinal.

DS is 5 and when I've babysat friend's DD's, I have no idea what to do with them. I'm all prepped for boys. :heartbeat: my snuggly buggly boy.

Welcome to the world Isaac Liam - love both those names.

goldenpig
08-21-2010, 03:00 AM
Congrats and welcome to baby Isaac! :cheerleader1:

I was thrown for a loop by DS. First thing I did when I found out I was pregnant was to buy a matching Big Sister shirt and Little Sister onesie. :ROTFLMAO: Boys were not even on my radar...my sisters and I had all had girls and I already had a pink stroller, pink bouncer, etc.

I was so sure I was having another girl. DD knew somehow though--she kept saying it was a boy even before we found out the gender. Well, she was right and it's been great having DS. DD absolutely dotes on him. I have this cute video of them having a tea party together when he was only a couple months old. And after his bath I dry him off with "Daddy's Little Girl" towels. It'll be interesting to see the differences in them as he grows up & see if he'll act much more like a boy.

Enjoy your little boy!

WatchingThemGrow
08-21-2010, 06:49 AM
I was shocked each time there was an actual baby, not even considering the gender! Congratulations to you!!! My first little boy is SUCH a little cutie pie. So sweet and wonderful! I'm sure yours will be too!

boogiemomz
08-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Congratulations and welcome sweet baby boy! :yay:

I can't handle the suspense, and DH and I need to minimize the necessary arguing about names. We found out with DD and we will find out again, if it comes up. :)

daisymommy
08-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Congratulations! LOVE the name!
Yes, I was totally shocked with DS#1, whom I swore was going to be a girl. We even bought girl things before the ultrasound because I was so positive. But nope! All boy!

elizabethkott
08-21-2010, 08:46 AM
I was totally shocked with J. I was convinced that he was a girl. Had weird dreams about him being a girl (like sitting down with Bono from U2 at a cafe table and having Bono tell me that we were having a girl and that once the baby was born that we were welcome to come and spend some time in his Irish castle... don't know where the heck that came from!) and just KNEW that he was a girl.
Until he came out and the doctor said "It's a boy!" Talk about a shock!!!
We found out the gender with S, so no surprises there!

kdeunc
08-21-2010, 08:47 AM
DH and I both just knew DS1 was a girl. We were completely convinced. When he was born and they said boy we just looked at each other and said boy? really? It was great.

What was really funny was that we had 8 friends that had babies in the year before us. With each pregnancy I was right on their gender, every time, until it came to me.

Congratulations on your new little one!

elephantmeg
08-21-2010, 01:12 PM
congrats on your baby boy!

MoJo
08-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Welcome, Isaac Liam! (Love the name!)

Congrats, Mama!

marit
08-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Congratulations!

Yes, I had the exact same reaction when I found out my second was a boy!

I found out during an U/S, but still I wa absolutely sure I had another girl, because that's all I knew up to then, and I've already proved that I can make girls... I was so shocked when the technician told me I didn't believe him and all I could say was: "what am I going to do with all my pink clothes?".

Today of course (the little nuget starts K on Monday) he's my favorite prince of all. He's the smushiest of all and he's mommy's little angel :)

Twoboos
08-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Congrats on your new baby boy! :bighand:

Yah, I was totally shocked. With DD1, Dh announced, "It's a Girl!" to which I replied, "It's a WHAT?!?" since my good motherly instincts told me for the past 9mos that is was definitely a boy.

With DD2, I was a little more prepared that it could be a boy OR a girl. ;) Although I was thinking boy, b/c my mom had me then my brother.

Wrong on both counts! So much for my motherly instincts.

shawnandangel
08-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Congratulations! Welcome to the world little boy! I love his name!

scrooks
08-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Congrats on your baby boy!

Same shock here...I lost a pregnancy and had DD (both girls) so when we went to the ultrasound for DS I had a feeling it was a boy but I don't think I REALLY believed it. I thought I was one of those people that just had girls. I was actually a tad bit scared and disappointed. Fastforward to now. DS is almost one and I love having a baby boy!

bostonsmama
08-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I always wanted a boy b/c I have a semi-strained relationship with my mom. I just thought boys would be easier & cheaper, but two very spiritual girlfriends said they knew I was having a girl. I had her name picked out early & called her it often, even though I was secretly hoping they were wrong. So I was shocked she was indeed a girl and had to slowly ease into all the drama girls can bring. But I am so in love and very excited now.

Congrats on your baby's birth, even though it was a great surprise!

Uno-Mom
08-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Excellent name(s)!!!

I was shocked at that ultrasound. I really felt that we were expecting a son - to be named Samuel. Nope!

I was half hoping for a girl because I'm from a family of all girls and it was hard to wrap my head around parenting a son. But I was pretty sure it was to be Sam. Maybe because I spent so much time mentally trying on the strange concept of rearing a boy!

Also we were both emotionally attached to the boy name we'd chosen.

But no complaints!

Dream
08-22-2010, 12:14 AM
I thought DD was a boy, I was so sure. But during the US we were told its a girl but I still refused to believe that. And I was thinking of a boy even at the c-sec.

kijip
08-22-2010, 01:17 AM
You have good odds of a guess being right. 50%! 1 in 2! And pretty good odds of a guess being wrong. :p

Welcome little boy! And Congrats to the whole family.

luckytwenty
08-22-2010, 06:47 AM
I love the name Isaac Liam! Congrats!

No, I was not shocked any of the three times. (I have boy-girl-boy.) Bizarrely, I just knew what I was having and got to watch DH being shocked. I mean, I wouldn't say I was 100% confident and still had some jitters before the u/s, but I was certain enough that I WOULD have been shocked if I'd been wrong. :-P

I have a rather rare and useless talent for guessing baby genders.

MamaMolly
08-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Congrats, Mama!

And yes, at the 20 week I was totally flummoxed to learn DD2 was a girl! My pregnancy was so completely different I was convinced it was because she was a HE. :) Nope, just her little way of letting Mama know she was going to be an individual from the get-go.

SnuggleBuggles
08-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Congratulations!!! Great name!!

I never had a feeling with ds1 and with ds2 I assumed it would be a boy (and was) but was open either way. I didn't find out before the births. That "it's a ___" was fantastic. I think it'd be cool to be so surprised when you got it wrong. ;)

Beth

Tanya
08-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Congrats, Mama!

And yes, at the 20 week I was totally flummoxed to learn DD2 was a girl! My pregnancy was so completely different I was convinced it was because she was a HE. :) Nope, just her little way of letting Mama know she was going to be an individual from the get-go.

Same here. My 2nd pregnancy was so different from my first, that I thought the second one must be a boy. I think were surprised to learn it was another girl.

For my current twin pregnancy, we just went in expecting two more girls. It's what we make, it's what we know now and dh figures girls are more common with fertility treatments (which we did). I have girl toys and clothes and understand the drama. So, the u/s tech said the first one was a girl and I was like yeah, the second one is too. Well, she said the second one is a boy and I asked her if she was sure. If I got to actually choose, a girl and a boy were my first choice. It's exciting to get what I'm used to but also get something new and different. I would have been perfectly fine with all girls too though.