PDA

View Full Version : Infants visiting at the hospital?

babybell
08-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Do you think it's a bad idea to bring babies to a hospital to visit people? Would you be concerned with all the sick people and your DC getting something?

Sillygirl
08-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Yes, it's a bad idea. Hospitals are germy places.

liz
08-21-2010, 07:39 AM
I would try to avoid bringing infants/children if possible.

carolinamama
08-21-2010, 07:40 AM
YES BAD IDEA. I work in an ICU. I am amazed that people bring babies to the hospital. I do not allow my kids to walk through the unit with me if I must drag them up there for something. So many nasty germs you do not want them to pick up.

egoldber
08-21-2010, 07:44 AM
I think it depends on the particular set of circumstances.

kdeunc
08-21-2010, 08:52 AM

:yeahthat: My dad had heart surgery when DD was 4 months old. I was EBF and he was 3 hours away so I had no choice but to bring her. I also had to be there for my parents. I kept her away from people as best I could.

However I am not very germ phobic. That is my comfort level. I think you do what you need to.

dogmom
08-21-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm a nurse in an ICU and my advice would be, it depends. I mean, don't let your kid crawl around on the floor and play with the urine bag. (Yes, I have seen that.) Most of the bugs they have people on precautions visitors or not likely to get if they have a decent immune system and wash their hands. The precautions are prevent us lazy health care people from spreading it from person to person. If I felt that the baby should visit, especially if I were breast feeding, I would feel comfortable if I took precautions. (I'd be more concerned about hanging out in the family waiting room with the masses.)

I, however, think it makes sense to make sure it's a good idea for the patient. School age children are little petri dishes when school is in session. We had to ban under 18 visitors during H1N1 season. I have seen some grandparents really rally when seeing a grandchild. I very much, "Oh, THAT'S why I'm going to try to get better." I realize the knee jerk reaction to most ICU staff, is OMG there are so many germs here, but I don't think that is based in a lot of hard facts.

nfowife
08-21-2010, 10:05 AM
When DD was almost 2 and DS was about a month old she had to be hospitalized for dehydration from rotavirus. My ped instructed that DS was not to come to the peds floor under any circumstances. DH had to stay with her in the hospital and I would have a friend sit with DS in the lobby so I cod visit with DD but still be available to nurse DS. It sucked big time.

lilycat88
08-21-2010, 10:27 AM

:yeahthat:

My mom was going through chemotherapy when my DD was born and she went with my mom to every chemo appointment at the hospital.

american_mama
08-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Depends. DH had emergency surgery when DS was 9 days old and ended up staying in the hospital for 3 full days. After staying away for a half day or so because of DS, I ended up taking DS with me the rest of the time. He was exclusively breastfed, I hadn't pumped anything yet much less offered him a bottle, and of course needed to eat frequently. I am not a germ-a-phobe, but I was scrupulous about using hand sanitizer on me and baby, covering my hands with paper towels when opening doors or using my elbows, and washing hands at regular intervals. Seemed like the best solution for us.

wellyes
08-23-2010, 01:08 AM
I have seen some grandparents really rally when seeing a grandchild. I very much, "Oh, THAT'S why I'm going to try to get better." I realize the knee jerk reaction to most ICU staff, is OMG there are so many germs here, but I don't think that is based in a lot of hard facts. .

FIL had leukemia and DD's visits were the light of his life throughout his treatments. I am very glad that we let her visit frequently. Of course we used a lot of caution. I'd even change her clothes/shoes as soon as we were out of the ward.

Only go if there is a good reason.

weech
08-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Not the best idea, but it happens. I was in the hospital for two or three days when my son was 2 months old, and my husband brought him to see me because I was going nuts being without him.

Then my mom went into the hospital unexpectedly in June (so DS was 3 months-ish) and I brought him to see her. It was in an orthopedic-type wing, so not occupied by sick people, just folks doing in-patient rehab... but I knew it was important to her. She has brain aneurysms that could potentially burst at any time, so things like that seem a little more urgent when it comes to her.

SnuggleBuggles
08-23-2010, 08:29 AM
I bet we go to as germy places every single day. Just use common sense about what is touched and try and avoid crowded areas. My dh had surgery when ds1 was 4mo. Ds1's Pack N Play was set up right there in the room and we spent 8 hours there every single day by dh's bedside. It worked out since ds1 wasn't mobile thus couldn't touch things we didn't want him to.

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥
08-23-2010, 08:47 AM

:yeahthat:

i agree. and what about when they're not visiting someone sick, for example they are visiting mommy & the new little brother/sister in maternity ward?

i used to work as a candy striper in high school. i've seen many sick, depressed elderly people light up like crazy when they see one of their little grandkids. so yeah, i think exceptions can be made, just as long as common sense is used.