PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with a 2 month old

carochinha
08-21-2010, 09:15 AM
The little one is due in three weeks and we're pretty well prepared. In the spirit of keeping busy while waiting, can you help me plan ahead? We're flying (3 hours) for Thanksgiving to visit family with our then two month old. We'll bring our Graco infant seat and a snap 'n go. Hoping Continental considers this just one travel assistance item, though the Rep I spoke with didn't sound optimistic. We may have to check one part or another and get charged.

*Tips on keeping the baby calm and settled during flight?
*buy/rent a pack 'N play or bassinet for our visit? To be delivered to our family's house with whom we're staying prior to our arrival.
*what to pack for baby for the flight?
*any tips on how to get a bulkhead seat? We're carrying the little one and didn't purchase him/her a separate seat.
*general travel advice?

Thanks in advance!

JBaxter
08-21-2010, 09:35 AM
*Tips on keeping the baby calm and settled during flight?

Bounce rock or nurse thats about all they do at that age.

*buy/rent a pack 'N play or bassinet for our visit? To be delivered to our family's house with whom we're staying prior to our arrival.

I'd see of your relative can borrow one for you. OR at that age I have done a pillow block and placed them in the middle of an adult bed

*what to pack for baby for the flight?
The diaper bag. Mine were all breast fed at that age if not I would get a few bottles of premix formula ( they make the 4oz and 8oz sizes I think) they are nice to keep handy in the diaper bag anyway An outfit change or 2 diapers and wipes Oh and a blanket.

*any tips on how to get a bulkhead seat? We're carrying the little one and didn't purchase him/her a separate seat.

I DO NOT EVER book the bulk head seats with kids. You must store ALL your things overhead and I need a bag to often to stand up and down. I pefer the underseat storage. and if you h ave a seat in front of you and are breast feeded it give you some cover if you are not yet comfortable bfing in public.

I generally buy a seat for my kids but I did take a 2 .5 hr flight with Nathan @ 4 months and it wasnt bad. HE nursed/ slept the whole flight Buying a seat would be a toss up.

*general travel advice?
Do what works for you. Other people will just have to get over it when you have a 2 month old.

mom2binsd
08-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Two adults and one newborn- piece of cake!

The car seat and snap n go won't be charged. Bring both right to the gate.

Bring an extra top for you and DH, spit up/diaper blowouts can be nasty!

Double diaper to avoid above said blow out.

As said above bring your carseat right to the gate, they may have an extra seat and then you can use it on the plane. At Thanksgiving it's not likely though. I would never ever check the car seat as luggage, esp at Thanksgiving, if it's lost you are sunk/screwed at your destination. If there's no extra seat you'll have to gate check it, which is easy. Reserve seats on the aisle and window and usually nobody chooses the middle. If it's a full flight, give the middle person the window so you're not talking across them.

I'd have your parents buy a pack n play to keep at your parents house, my kids slept in one for up to 3 years. But buy the sheet ahead of time at your end and wash in your detergent, then it smells like babies sheets at home. My kids slept in their own cribs from day one and I know I couldn't have slept with them in my bed, it really depends on how baby sleeps at home.

I'd also avoid the bulkhead, not having access to your bag is a pain.

If you're so inclined a drink ahead of time is always a good calming method!

doberbrat
08-21-2010, 10:37 AM
I'd have the relatives borrow a pnp/bassinet or find one at a consignment store or even craigslist. those thigns are expensive new and often hardly get used. worst come to worst, a changing pad in an empty drawer or laundry basket also works ;)

for a 3h flight w/a breastfed baby, I would bring 6-9 diapers on board and 3 changes of clothes plus a full set of clothes for you and a shirt for dh. 2 burp cloths, a blanket socks and a hat. planes can be chilly or warm. and purell .... plenty of purell. I would also bring a carrier of some sort. a pouch or a ringsling to help get through security etc.

you never know if you'll get delayed plus you need to be there 2h early so 3h flight = 5 h of traveling at least. change baby right before you board its possible but not easy to change baby in flight so avoid it if you can.

almost guarenteed that you wont have an empty seat through thanksgiving. bring a bag of some sort for the carseat so it doesnt get dirty. gate check it so it doesnt get lost.

rkold
08-21-2010, 10:46 AM
I've never traveled with a DC yet, I'm pregnant with our first, but just wanted to counter argue that I positively adore the bulkhead seats and whenever I fly I try to get to them.

It makes it so much easier if you need to get up and do anything, you do have extra leg room. For my last flight (NY to Tokyo) once the fasten seat belt sign went off, I took down my carry on and used it as an Ottoman to keep my feet elevated. I admit I've also gotten good at hiding my purse so that I don't need to put that in the overhead. I make sure to put my blanket over my legs, and stick my purse behind my feet. Even if the other person behind me is using the space beneath their seat there is always rooms for it.

The reality is, unless Continental has a different policy than United (its newest partner) you're unlikely to get a bulkhead. ^^; While the airlines try to accommodate travelers with small children, bulkhead seats are super popular and often go to those who have status on the airline. I flew Continental in April, and I want to say that they do reserve several rows of seats for those people who have status on Continental and its partners. If a flight isn't full or someone gets upgraded those seats become available but airlines do reward those who have status with them.

If you have to check/gate check *ANYTHING* make sure it is marked "FRAGILE" My Continental flight in April was on one of their small jets (the smallest type that are not propeller) and they made us gate check nearly everything, and since I was feeling so ill I forgot to remove my laptop from my 19 inch wheelie and the monitor ended up getting cracked ~.~

JBaxter
08-21-2010, 10:57 AM
. and purell .... plenty of purell. I would also bring a c.

Purell was considered a liquid last time I flew so get the small bottle and dont forget to zip lock bag it

OH get the gallon size zip lock bags and put a couple in your diaper bag they dont take up much room and IF you have a blow out poop / puke you can seal them up and not smell them the whole way.

** I continue to do this well through potty training years :D

jellibeans
08-21-2010, 12:50 PM
I have done lots of travel with my kids as infants and toddlers. I do NOT like the bulkhead seats with them. You have to store your bags up above and when you need something you have to get up to get it. If you arent allowed out of your seat at that time, you are stuck. There are too many things that could be needed(bottle, binkie, change of clothes, diaper, toy) during the flight to put it above you.
I would only bring one change of clothes for my child and maybe an extra tshirt for myself. Really, it depends on how much your child spits up and what his/her pooping is like. 5-6 diapers, 2-3 bottles if you bottle feed, and extra formula incase of delays.
Also, give a binkie or feed during take off and especially landing. I think of plane travel with an infant as a time that you are in survival mode. But I don't like to bother other passengers...so even though I like my strict schedule of feeding and sleeping, I do what the baby wants onthe plane.
Walmart has cheap pack n plays.

longtallsally05
08-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Just gate check the SNG and take the bucket seat on the airplane with you. You'll want to get a seat for the baby anyway, trust me!