PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Pack n Play more comfortable?

strawberryswing
08-21-2010, 03:55 PM
If I can't rent a crib for my 6 week stay in Madrid, I will be buying a pack n play over there. I feel like my dd doesn't sleep as well because it is so uncomfortable.

Do you have suggestions on how to safely make it more comfortable? DD will be 21 months, so is it safe to add some kind of egg crate or foam topper to the ridiculous pnp mattress?

Also, I thought I saw something on this forum about padded sheets, but can't seem to find any?

Thanks for any help!:wink2:

zag95
08-21-2010, 05:37 PM
We used the Eddie Bauer crib sheet avail at Target- it is nice and cushy......DD is still using the pnp at 2.5 yrs when we go on trips to the beach, etc.!

Maybe you should look at the PeaPod Plus
http://www.amazon.com/Kidco-PeaPod-Indoor-Outdoor-Travel/dp/B000LL1624/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1282426462&sr=8-1

or the Bjorn travel crib
http://www.amazon.com/BABYBJ%C3%96RN-Travel-Crib-Light-Blue/dp/B000XDYLEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1282426537&sr=1-1

- I think both aren't bad from what people say- the other option might be to use a sleeping back and an air mattress type pad (like for camping) or similar!

Have fun in Spain!

lowrioh
08-21-2010, 09:21 PM
While DD still fit in the PnP we had one of these mattress pads that we used on top of the PnP mattress. It works pretty well. I would think that at 21 months it would be safe to cut a piece of foam egg crate and put it between the PnP mattress and sheet though.
http://www.amazon.com/American-Baby-Company-Waterproof-Porta-Crib/dp/B000BPMJR6/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1282439906&sr=8-19
We recently got a Bjorn Travel crib and I am really happy with it. The mattress is much softer than the PnP and it is super light and easy to set up.
We use a regular crib mattress pad and sheet which makes it even more cushy.

Dr C
08-21-2010, 09:35 PM
DS has never complained about being uncomfortable in the PnP... I think kids tolerate a firm mattress much less than adults would.
That said, my mother worries about such things so when the kids sleep in a PNP at her house, she folds up a quilt to make the mattress softer. That works well. I also usually will put one of those waterproof quilted pads under the PNP sheet when DD sleeps there (more for the water-proofness than the padding but it does seem to soften it a bit). I think at 21 months it would also be safe to cut an egg crate to fit.

DrSally
08-21-2010, 10:50 PM
We use the Eddie Bauer crib sheet from Target. I think it's a bit more cushy/soft/warm. Other than that, I think the PNP is fine.

tempi
08-23-2010, 12:36 PM
I have both the Eddie Bauer quilted sheet as well as one of the thick waterproof sheets and while they seem quite think and comfy, DS still doesn't sleep well on the PNP pad. I realized that he can actually FEEL a bar running underneath the mattress on the PNP so if he happens to be in a state of light sleep it bothers him. He's not old enough for the egg crate solution but I've tried the extra blankets between the pad and the sheet - he actually requires several before he can sleep.

BabyBearsMom
08-23-2010, 12:53 PM
We use a quilted sheet for the PnP. It seems to make it a teeny bit cushier. DD doesn't seem to notice...I think she likes to sleep in the PnP more than her crib.

army_mom
08-25-2010, 12:56 PM
DD sleeps fine in her PnP. I also add something "extra" under her sheet now that she is older because those sheets are so darn thin. When she was younger I would just put a waterproof pad down and an extra set of sheets. A blanket, big bed sheet folded, or even a towel if that is all we can get our hands on is what we use now.

edurnemk
08-25-2010, 01:34 PM
If you'll be purchasing a pack n play in Spain, look at this store www.prenatal.com they have some models which are longer than the Graco ones and come with a foldable mattress. I really like this store they have very nice quality products, it's an italian stores with franchises in several countries.

It's on page 93 of the catalog http://www.prenatal.es/prenatal/es/services/catalogue/puericultura_pe_2010.html

I have a peapod plus we used recenty with my 2.5 yo and it's pretty comfortable and easy to take along.

pb&j
08-25-2010, 03:22 PM
We finally ditched the PNP and got a Bjorn travel crib - it's awesome. Mattress is nice and fluffy. DD would never go down easily into the PNP, but looooooves the Bjorn - she actually asked to get in it at bedtime, and cried when we folded it up the next day! Added bonus, it folds up much smaller and lighter than the PNP.

llama8
08-26-2010, 11:17 PM
My DD slept in her Chicco Playard bassinet until 4 months and it seemed comfy. We now us that and our second Gracco PNP as a playpen.

I used a soft,velour, quilted Carter's sheet to make it soft and cushy. I still wouldn't use it for sleeping past the bassinet feature as it doesn't offer much support, especially for a larger, mobile child.

I found my Chicco to be much more comfy than my Gracco.