PDA

View Full Version : DD1, I'm at the limits of my patience...

sarahsthreads
08-22-2010, 05:29 PM
So now it's not enough to constantly challenge me at home, now she has to start throwing temper tantrums in public? I should not have to carry a nearly 6 year old, 40 pound child who is almost 3/4 of my height out of a shoe store while she's having a kicking and screaming tantrum. I bet that was a ridiculously funny show we gave everyone today.

I don't like 5-going-on-6 very much. I am so tired of the arguing, the whining, the constant complaints (about how her food is yucky or too hot or too spicy, or how something between her and her sister "isn't fair", or how exhausting it is for her to pick up 5 books off her bedroom floor), the bedtime battles, and, did I mention the whining?!?

Will somebody reassure me that 6 is better...? (Seriously, if it isn't, lie to me and tell me that it is, OK?)

Sarah
(...who *might* be suffering from PMS, but really, this behavior is over-the-top awful no matter *what* time of the month it is...)

ncat
08-22-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't know if and when things will improve, but I can assure you that you are not alone!
I am so tired of the constant arguing and whining.

caleymama
08-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Wait, how did my DD2 end up at your house???

OMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, I am so done with her some days.

Yeah, just a couple of weeks ago she and I popped into Goodwill b/c for a minute while we were killing time at a shopping center. Well, let's just say it didn't go well when she spotted a small ceramic unicorn that I wouldn't let her get. I'm surprised you didn't hear her way out there that day. The screaming, crying, flailing, carrying, chasing - it was a sight to see. And the ridiculousness when it's time to clean *anything* up. You would think I was asking her to walk 1000 miles with no shoes and no water - she is too tired, she doesn't feel good, you name it. She's sure got plenty of energy to get stuff out!

:hug:

Twoboos
08-22-2010, 07:38 PM
.... how exhausting it is for her to pick up 5 books off her bedroom floor), the bedtime battles, and, did I mention the whining?!?

..... the ridiculousness when it's time to clean *anything* up. You would think I was asking her to walk 1000 miles with no shoes and no water - she is too tired, she doesn't feel good, you name it. She's sure got plenty of energy to get stuff out!

Ahhh, I always knew DD2 was advanced for her age. She just turned 5 and this has been going on for at LEAST a year. She will be a shoo-in for the Academy Award one day with the drama that accompanies the smallest request about cleaning up an-y-little-thing.

My latest to her is, "Use words, not whine." *I* need the WINE most days!! Good to know I have another year to go... ugh. :grouphug:

mom2one
08-22-2010, 08:42 PM
please know that my almost 6 1/2 year old son is a member of this club. some days i just want to run away. i tell my husband that i am going to the embassy suites and ordering room service and will be back in a day. i have not done this yet, but seriously want to. there are days that there does not seem to be enough WINE for me. Between the whining, complaining, talking back and not listening or obeying it is enough to drive a sane person over the edge. School does not start till 9/1, i know I will make it to that day! Hang in there everyone else.

ThreeofUs
08-22-2010, 09:23 PM
I just spent the weekend days at the sailing club, on a committee boat, in the middle of a lake. (Thankyouthankyouthankyou, DH!) I'm not sure it was enough time away from this. It's making me rabid.

sarahsthreads
08-22-2010, 10:51 PM
please know that my almost 6 1/2 year old son is a member of this club. some days i just want to run away. i tell my husband that i am going to the embassy suites and ordering room service and will be back in a day. i have not done this yet, but seriously want to. there are days that there does not seem to be enough WINE for me. Between the whining, complaining, talking back and not listening or obeying it is enough to drive a sane person over the edge. School does not start till 9/1, i know I will make it to that day! Hang in there everyone else.

Wait, you were supposed to lie and tell me it gets better! ;)

Our school starts on 9/7. I feel terrible, but I am counting the days...of course, then I'll get to deal with her being surly after school until she gets back into the routine in a few weeks. Yay for me.

It's good, I guess, to know that I am not alone in having a whining, argumentative drama queen on my hands. ("My feet are soooooooo tired, I caaaaaaaan't walk anymore!" as she literally drops to the ground in the middle of a store aisle and other shoppers stare at me as though I'm abusing my child by taking her *gasp* grocery shopping with me. Sigh.)

Sarah :)

caleymama
08-22-2010, 11:28 PM
I drove an extra 10 minutes today to leave DD2 with my parents today so I could go into Home Depot quickly in peace. I just could.not.handle.any.more.drooping.and.whining. I just had to return something and purchase something and was in and out in 10 minutes but the thought of bringing her today was enough to make my head spin. That was the only place we were going - it's not like it was the tail end of a long morning of errands. She said she "just feels like being home today." I am in the midst of re-doing a piece of furniture and needed something. Usually I would try to work with her and honor that she didn't feel like going out, but come on kid, it's not THAT bad. I knew bringing her would be setting both of us up for disaster - she didn't want to be there and I didn't want to deal with her not wanting to be there. Even well rested and fed she's been miserable unless she's doing exactly what she wants to be doing, which too often lately hasn't been what I need or want her to be doing!

ETA: I will say that with DD1 almost 8 is a very pleasant age! Overall 7 has been pretty darn good. Much better than 5 going on 6. That was a tough year. DD1 didn't want to go to school, didn't want to play soccer, etc. Different drama than with DD2, but drama just the same. I think this must be a period of disequilibrium for them. My Mom swears that kids have and up and a down every six months or so.

klwa
08-23-2010, 06:58 AM
*hugs* My mom always said the odd numbered years were the roughest, so, hopefully, you'll see a calming as she turns 6. But, then, 7 is right around the corner.... :)

cuca_
08-23-2010, 08:17 AM
*hugs* My mom always said the odd numbered years were the roughest, so, hopefully, you'll see a calming as she turns 6. But, then, 7 is right around the corner.... :)

I think your mom is right. I'm not liking 7 much -- 6 was much better. And to top it off I have a 5 year old, a soon to be 3 year old and a soon to be 1 year old. So if the odd numbered years theory is right I am screwed!!!

Momof3Labs
08-23-2010, 08:35 AM
I think your mom is right. I'm not liking 7 much -- 6 was much better. And to top it off I have a 5 year old, a soon to be 3 year old and a soon to be 1 year old. So if the odd numbered years theory is right I am screwed!!!

But then think about how easy next year will be!

sarahsthreads
08-23-2010, 08:36 AM
ETA: I will say that with DD1 almost 8 is a very pleasant age! Overall 7 has been pretty darn good. Much better than 5 going on 6. That was a tough year. DD1 didn't want to go to school, didn't want to play soccer, etc. Different drama than with DD2, but drama just the same. I think this must be a period of disequilibrium for them. My Mom swears that kids have and up and a down every six months or so.

You're probably right about the disequilibrium thing, it just feels like it's been going on non-stop since the kid turned 3. Clearly is hasn't, or I'd have run away before now!

Good to know that 7-8 seems to be a reasonable age. I'm hoping 6 turns out to be more pleasant than 5 was, at least a little bit, because otherwise I might really need to take a mom-cation. I'm definitely going to be making my own wish when DD1 blows out her candles this year!

It also does not help that DD2 is fully into the stinkerpants "I'm going to do the exact opposite of what you want just to see what happens; also I'm going to try to injure, maim or kill myself in as many ways as I can think of to see how many gray hairs I can give you" 2-year-old phase. So I just feel stretched very thin as a parent right now. DH tries to help when he's around but he mostly just asks in awe, "is she like this *all week*?!?" Not. Helpful.

wendibird22
08-23-2010, 08:43 AM
I hope it's just a phase. And if it is you can take comfort in knowing yours is almost done and I have 3 more years of it because you just described my 3yo to a tee!

sarahsthreads
08-23-2010, 08:46 AM

:bowdown:

DH just asked me last night (after this horrible, rotten, no-good, very bad day with DD1) whether I really did want one more child or if we were done. I don't know how you and all the other moms of more than two do it - I want a third (most days) but I worry that they'd get together and stage a coup or something. ;)

Good luck with the next year - although I didn't find 1-2 to be all that bad, so maybe you'll only have 3 out of the 4 in a trying stage?

cuca_
08-23-2010, 11:04 AM
But then think about how easy next year will be!

LOL! As I am sure you know, it is never easy with 4!!

cuca_
08-23-2010, 11:05 AM
:bowdown:

DH just asked me last night (after this horrible, rotten, no-good, very bad day with DD1) whether I really did want one more child or if we were done. I don't know how you and all the other moms of more than two do it - I want a third (most days) but I worry that they'd get together and stage a coup or something. ;)

Good luck with the next year - although I didn't find 1-2 to be all that bad, so maybe you'll only have 3 out of the 4 in a trying stage?

Thanks! I'm counting the days until school starts -- I think we all need to be back in a routine! FWIW, I did not think 3 was bad. Four, however, is another story!

buttergirl12
08-23-2010, 11:22 AM
So far 6 going on 7 is the worst for us. Lucky for us he is on the shy side and he is pretty good in public.

carolinamama
08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Sounds like my almost 5yo DS. Nothing is right, I can't do anything right and nothing is fair. Argh. You aren't alone - I had to carry my tantrum throwing guy out of B&N last month with DS2 in the other arm. I'm so sure some of those older ladies were just gasping at his behavior. But it happens to all of us at one time or another, right?

squimp
08-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Ummmm, six is better :)!