PDA

View Full Version : Organizing help needed!

WatchingThemGrow
08-22-2010, 09:45 PM
In my quest to be like KrisM :hug5: DH and I moved EVERYTHING from around our room this morning. It is all now piled up around the dining room. Seems like there are three categories of transitional items:
TOYS
-toys our kids don't need in the main living area that I would like to sort through to sell/donate (mainly little baby toys since DS2 is 14m)
-toys requiring supervision (marble run, dot marker supplies)
-toys we will give them later (leapster explorer games for $7.48, Tag books for $3, another stomp rocket for $7, etc)
-new items we need to set up (teach me time clock)
- gift closet-type items

CLOTHES
-clothes to be ironed
-clothes for the next season
-clothes to be tried on/returned
-clothes that need to go to the attic
-clothes that didn't sell at consignment, plus those that need to be CL'd, ebayed or swapped
-other CL items
-boxes of adult hangers
-boxes of kid hangers

RANDOM STUFF
-coolers
-packing cubes
-photo/memory book items for kids
-books that we would like to read but haven't yet
-portraits from June that need to be sorted and mailed

random stuff under the bed:
-ski boots that shouldn't go in the hot, hot attic
- ironing board (we use a small top of the laundry hamper for ironing now, but need the bigger one occasionally)
-phantom door screen (want to use it on next house or paint it and rehang it)
-kiddyguard gate that needs to be hung on boys' room entry
-DH's tools
-blanket, comforters with easy access
-random papers/whatnot that needs to be sorted
-sewing fabrics

In the kids' closets, I pulled out a few bins
-box of pj's organized by size.
-shoes to grow into
-yard sale toys cleaned and waiting until we NEED something new

The stuff is piled on a folding table and on plastic storage shelves in the dining room (our main eating area), so I want it all to find a home asap.

Which items would you send to the attic in big clear bins and which ones would you keep down? If you think something should stay in the main living area, where would you ideally store it? We are maxed out IMO, but just maybe we can find a home for all these items! Funny, but aside from the random stuff under the bed, most of the other boxes are in transition all.the.time.

I don't want any of it to go back into my room. Well, maybe under the bed is okay, but the whole bedbug idea makes me want to have everything clean and easy to keep clean.

KrisM
08-22-2010, 10:36 PM
I feel so honored :).

Do you have a place you can put gift closet and future kid stuff? I have a metal shelving unit in my closet with small bins on it and stuff that is for my kids for later and gift closet are in there. I like that it is easy to access when I need something new. Can you add shelves? Maybe above the existing shelf? Or add a shelf in a kid closet and use non-clear bins so they can't see new toys :).

Our attic is a pain to get to, so I don't have much up there. But, if yours isn't bad and it's big, put as much as you can up there! I'd leave clothes for the next season out and in the kids rooms.

For clothes that didn't sell and you need to CL or ebay, either get them listed or just donate them. Set a time frame to list them somewhere and if you don't do it, get rid of them and just have them out of the house!

Try on clothes and stick the returns in your trunk.

Do you have a garage with space? Can you add high shelves over the garage door? Do you have kitchen cabinets that don't go to the ceiling? I have nice baskets over mine with things like Dot Paint.

Good luck! I know your house is on the smaller side and I don't remember if you have a basement or not. I hope you can find a place for it all.

WatchingThemGrow
08-22-2010, 11:27 PM
no basement, no garage. Attic access is a sturdy pull-down staircase in the hallway. Easy enough, but still...the attic.

Good tips - I'm just looking for space to harvest. Thinking of putting the extra parts for DS2's twin bed and bunk bed parts under our King so I can use the space under DS1's bed and under DS2's crib for more of their stuff, freeing up some room in their closets for things they don't need to see.

Some thoughts I've had..
Does anyone use the zip up wardrobes hanging things? My mom uses them in her garage, but I don't feel like the outer fabric is very secure/protective. I'd love to have one of those in the attic, but I like the idea of the outgrown clothes staying in the living space before they get sold/donated.

A timeline sounds like a good plan. Where can you find a good ebay timeline? Like when's the right time to list playdresses or buntings or jeans or winter dresses?

niccig
08-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Ok, I should be working on my project with deadline of next week, but helping you with this is much more fun...that's how much I'm loathing my project..

I don't have a huge house either. No basement, not attic, we do have a garage. I don't buy a lot of stuff ahead. I don't stock up on clothes in next size or future gifts. I have some of this, but not a lot. Mostly I forget I have them, and I just don't have the room to keep them.

If you're keeping things to sell, but you still have them months and months later - then I would just donate. Getting my house rid of clutter is more important to me. I know someone who needs the item will be able to find it at Goodwill as they certainly can't find it in my closet. If you really can't do this, then set a deadline in a couple of weeks of listing for sale. If you haven't listed them, then donate them.

I've also found it easier to say "I have room for ONE basket of x", and I purge until they'll fit in that basket.

I would do the projects that you can do right now, first eg. Do the portraits tonight. Hang the gate this weekend. Try on and return clothes this week (as I look at a box of shoes from Zappos that I got 2 months ago and have NOT opened yet...shoes, not tried on yet, how can that be???)

Things to sell or donate, clothes and toys - If you don't need the extra cash desperately, I would just donate. If you don't get it out of the house quickly, the pile will continue to grow and take over. Ask me how I know this - just sorted through 24-4T clothes of DS's...way too big a job.

Toys requiring supervision - I have those in baskets up high on shelves either in closet or on toy of expedit shelves in the family room

Toys for gifts for DS - in suitcase on top shelf in my closet - I do have to transfer these when need the suitcase.

Gift closet toys - I don't have space in my house for this, and I would forget I had them. I find a sale just before the birthday.

CLOTHES
-clothes to be ironed - hung in closet when fold laundry and iron as needed - they get less wrinkled this way too, so ironing is faster.
-clothes for the next season - In closet as current clothes are in dresser. Next size clothes are in plastic tub on top shelf in DS's closet
-clothes to be tried on/returned - do this ASAP
-clothes that need to go to the attic - ??? not sure what these are?
-clothes that didn't sell at consignment, plus those that need to be CL'd, ebayed or swapped - Just donate.
-other CL items - donate if you're not going to do it in next 2 weeks.
-boxes of adult hangers - keep some, but get rid of if you have too many hangers and no room in your closet for all those hangers
-boxes of kid hangers - ditto.

RANDOM STUFF
-coolers - attic
-packing cubes - inside suitcase so ready for next trip
-photo/memory book items for kids - I bought this from container store and have things in there in hanging files http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/desktopCollections/fiberboard?productId=10017282&N=74528&Nao=16- I will probably never make the photo book, but they're still somewhat organised for DS to look through.
-books that we would like to read but haven't yet - on book shelves - if no room on shelves, then need to weed your books. I was a librarian, you can get rid of books and not feel guilty about it. DH hates it, but we only have room for so many bookcases, if what we have can't fit, then something has to go. And I bought him a Kindle.
-portraits from June that need to be sorted and mailed - do this ASAP

random stuff under the bed:
-ski boots that shouldn't go in the hot, hot attic - leave if no room in a closet.
- ironing board (we use a small top of the laundry hamper for ironing now, but need the bigger one occasionally) - we have an over the door hanger for the ironing board. The iron goes here too when it has cooled down http://www.containerstore.com/shop/laundry/ironing?productId=10015026&N=77005
-phantom door screen (want to use it on next house or paint it and rehang it) - either paint and rehang now or store in the attic.
-kiddyguard gate that needs to be hung on boys' room entry - hang it ASAP
-DH's tools - I have frequently used tools (hammer, screwdrivers)in SMALL toolbox on laundry room shelves, the rest is in our garage on peg board - maybe you can put not often used tools in the attic either in toolbox or pegboard etc.
-blanket, comforters with easy access - either under bed storage box or in closet. I have a lift up lid trunk in the living room that we put all the guest linens in. The guest queen comforter is in a suitcase - have to take it out when we use it.
-random papers/whatnot that needs to be sorted - all together in one box and sort in front of the TV over coming weeks - get a shredder and put all that needs to be shredded in a box and then do marathon shredder session in front of TV.
-sewing fabrics - purge and put what you keep in ONE basket/container

In the kids' closets, I pulled out a few bins
-box of pj's organized by size. - purge or put with clothes of next size
-shoes to grow into - put with other clothes in next size.
-yard sale toys cleaned and waiting until we NEED something new - ??? can't they go in the yard???

niccig
08-23-2010, 12:52 AM
no basement, no garage. Attic access is a sturdy pull-down staircase in the hallway. Easy enough, but still...the attic.

Put things up there that you don't use too often and don't need to worry about the heat.

Using under bed space is a good idea - I have 2 underbed boxes on wheels from Ikea under DS's bed - one box is for his Transformers. The other box might become the lego box with lego sorted by colour into smaller boxes - DH wants it sorted by colour as he builds with DS and hates things to be jumbled together.

My MIL has a zipped up wardrobe in her basement and it's fine - they don't have damp problems. I have one that is kept in it's box in the garage. We don't have a guest room, so the living room sofa becomes the guest room. We also have a family room, so it works out. I put together the portable hanging rack (mine has shelves too), so guests can put their clothes away, as there's certainly no room for someone else's clothes in OUR closets.

Generally, it's a good idea to list all the storage spaces that you have and to store items near the place they will be used. We also keep storage in mind when buying furniture eg. we have a set of bookshelves with 4 shelves adn then 2 rows of small drawers - perfect for the tv remotes, Wii games etc. We have 2 chests with lift up lids. One is for board games, the other is for guest linens. It's taken us several years, but slowly we've gotten things that help with our lack of storage space.

Good tips - I'm just looking for space to harvest. Thinking of putting the extra parts for DS2's twin bed and bunk bed parts under our King so I can use the space under DS1's bed and under DS2's crib for more of their stuff, freeing up some room in their closets for things they don't need to see.

Some thoughts I've had..
Does anyone use the zip up wardrobes hanging things? My mom uses them in her garage, but I don't feel like the outer fabric is very secure/protective. I'd love to have one of those in the attic, but I like the idea of the outgrown clothes staying in the living space before they get sold/donated.

A timeline sounds like a good plan. Where can you find a good ebay timeline? Like when's the right time to list playdresses or buntings or jeans or winter dresses?

niccig
08-23-2010, 01:11 AM

Another thing with storage like your attic or my detached garage - they have to be well organised too, so that it's easy to find things when you need them. Our garage has shelves and cabinets, but everything was a right mess so I would walk in, and dump an item on the pile in the middle as I couldn't get to the cabinet to put things away properly.

It took several days, but I got in and cleaned everything up. I keep my wrapping and shipping supplied out there, and today it was very easy to go out there, wrap a present and then box it up for shipping tomorrow at the post office. I have an old formica kitchen table out there and underneath I put a plastic drawer unit and organised the gift bags, wrapping supplies and shipping supplies. I have a stack of different sized amazon boxes that also fit under the table. I couldnt' believe how quick this one job was, normally it would take much longer to find what I needed.

I would look at your attic and work out how you can most easily use the space, so you have quick access to get something AND put it away. You also have to keep this space clean - I need to go out regularly and make sure no spider webs/no dust etc.

WatchingThemGrow
08-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Nicci, THANK YOU!!! Some great ideas!! I like that a lot of the tips are: Just do it, ASAP! That's totally the problem. Three little DC at home means that only the essentials get done. But, I can put these tasks on my calendar and just work toward them during that time. Having them in the dining room will help. When the gate was under the bed, it was easy for DH to ignore the task on his Remember the Milk list.

Making a better "attic plan" is in order. We're down to one in diapers, so that will give us a little bit more space in the attic. I've always bought them in bulk when BRU had a gc, plus 2 coupons, so at least 1/3 off. Wish subscribe and save would continue.. It's nice to have them come when you need them and just keep 2 boxes for DS2, a box for DS1 to sleep in, and a pkg for DD to sleep in. I think my plastic shelving rack will go into the attic (losing a shelf or two since you can only crawl up there and hold a couple of the boxes.

I hate to add a bookcase to our room, but I like the idea of keeping the art supplies and "assistance needed" toys up on higher shelves. We have ONE built-in bookcase in our kitchen/dining, and it has 2.5 shelves of adult books. That's it for the whole house, including cookbooks.

The funny thing is that one of my storage trunks that holds a comforter for guests (and some other bedding type stuff) just got clawed by a friend's cat we're keeping for another week. so sad to see it go, but the woven grass/wicker type stuff is shredded, and it looks horrible. I've been looking for a storage something to replace it already.

Thanks so much for the reply. I'll get busy making lists today. I'm sick and DS2 is sick, so not a lot can get done. BUT...I HAVE to get it done before MIL and FIL come over Tues. for speech. They will have a ton of semi-hurtful comments. They forget 5 people in 1400 sf. That's 280 sf per person, not the 1600 per person they have.

KrisM
08-23-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm sorry you guys are sick!

Nicci always has such good ideas, doesn't she?

I want to say that my house is 4 bedroom and about 2100 sq ft with both a basement and a garage and I still don't have room to buy to much ahead either clothes or toys. I don't have a good system to not lose it, and I'm tired of clutter. I do buy things that are an outstanding discount that I am sure I won't find again when I need it, but as for general gifts, I skip it. DS has a lot of friends with early spring birthdays, so I stock up for them at Chrismtas sales, but very specifically.

I have a bookcase in my bedroom and another in DD's closet. We need to get rid of the one in her closet so she can use the closet herself. I have been getting rid of books because there are just too many. It's hard, but really, when do I have that much time to read any more??

And, it'll all get easier as the years go. I'm a couple years ahead of you on kids ages and I can't believe how much easier things are with a 6 year old and a 2 year old. The 6 is so independent now and can really help. The 2 is old enough to not be a baby and totally needy.

KrisM
08-23-2010, 07:10 AM
-photo/memory book items for kids - I bought this from container store and have things in there in hanging files http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/desktopCollections/fiberboard?productId=10017282&N=74528&Nao=16- I will probably never make the photo book, but they're still somewhat organised for DS to look through.

Nicci,
The link doesn't work. Can you redo it? I'm curious what you do. I paired the school stuff down a lot, but haven't had time to do anything with it. Right now, it's a project for when school starts in Sept and I have a bit of time in the day.

WatchingThemGrow
08-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Lol - When school starts in Sept. I'll have a 2yo and a 1yo to contend with, and only 2.5 hours of "school." I should be realistic about how that time will look...

Oh, I know that part of the problem with the attic is that in the summer, we can only go up there in the very early morning. It gets up to the 120s midday and the heat overcomes the house. All the times I was pg, DH would not let me go up there, so it has largely been his work. He has NO spatial/organizational abilities, despite the nice map I've drawn for him.

KrisM
08-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Lol - When school starts in Sept. I'll have a 2yo and a 1yo to contend with, and only 2.5 hours of "school." I should be realistic about how that time will look...

It won't be a lot. You have to consider driving home after taking him to school, and then leaving to get him. For a 2.5 hour school day, I get maybe 2 hours of time. For me, DD is in afternoon preschool this year and DS2 still naps, so I am hopeful for an hour at least of time to myself. When DS1 started PM preschool, DD gave up naps :( and DS2 was an infant.

niccig
08-24-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm sorry you guys are sick!

Nicci always has such good ideas, doesn't she?

I HAD good ideas - I did a lot of that about 3-4 years ago, and then I got ina rut and I am just now in a place where I can pull myself out of the clutter that has accumulated again. I'm ready to move on with other things in my life and tripping over things in my house is getting in my way.

I've got MIL and FIL visiting for 10 days from this Thursday, and althought they're not the type to make comments to me or behind my back, I'm using it as a motivating tool.

Today I did the pantry and 2 kitchen cabinets. DS was playing with his lego and I had to go back and forth a few times, but I was ruthless and quick - Thursday is rapidly approaching. MIL can now find the crackers without 5 mostly empty chip bags falling on her head. On a side note, WHO puts a chip bag with about 10 broken chips back in the pantry...OHHh that would be DH :6: After the grocery shop, I cleaned out the freezer compartment- if I didn't recognize what was in the ziplock freezer bag, it went in the trash. I've been meaning to do this for MONTHS and putting it off. It really didn't take too long as I did one shelf, went to DS, did another shelf, back to DS.

Tomorrow is the toy closet - that will take much longer.

I do think that with smaller homes, you have to not let much come in the door in the first place and then stay on top of putting things away and purging when no longer needed. eg. as soon as DS is out of current summer clothes, I'm going to go through and sort for donation and box for his cousin rather than leaving it until next Summer and doing it then. I know he won't fit these clothes next year as nearly out of them now.

srhs
08-24-2010, 02:09 AM
I have a tiny house and a stockpiling/bargain-hunting/super-couponing/buy-ahead um...habit...so I feel your pain. No real practical tips except this... do what you must to get over your attic reservations! It will free your world!!! Especially if you are not currently using it much and can start from scratch loading things up in an organized fashion! You should get a break from brutal temps soon, yay!
I am currently experiencing this with our garage since we can no longer park in it (narrow-1-car) and get both babies out.

niccig
08-24-2010, 02:10 AM
Nicci,
The link doesn't work. Can you redo it? I'm curious what you do. I paired the school stuff down a lot, but haven't had time to do anything with it. Right now, it's a project for when school starts in Sept and I have a bit of time in the day.

It's their desktop library file box - a box that can take letter hanging files with a lid. I saw similar ones at Target.
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/desktopCollections/fiberboard?productId=10017282&N=74528&Nao=16

I saw something similar you can buy for memories and it was like an accordian file. I like the desktop file as it's sturdy and can fit on a shelf. The idea is to have a hanging file for each year and slip things in there. I have some of DS's baby things like hat, certificate with footprint etc. And some birthday cards etc. I also have a box for me, mostly it's cards and personal things I want to keep. I'm probably going to need more than one box for DS. It's semi-organized, so better than my old method which was all jumbled together in a shoe box.

I need to buy a new art portfolio for DS, as ours was cardboad and got wet when brought it home - thanks DH for putting it on ground and then starting sprinklers...again :6: It has artwork, and things from school. I got it at an arts supply place.

niccig
08-24-2010, 03:11 AM
You won't get a lot of time when in preschool - the driving eats into your time.

I have found that when I'm motivated, I can get a lot done in a short amount of time. And we have to grab the time when we can. I REALLY need to clean out my drawer in the bathroom. DS will have a bath tomorrow night and I can do it then - he's 5, so I don't have to hold him up in the bath. That won't work when you have little ones, but if you can grab a few minutes here and there, it will all add up.

DH is going to be out of town one weekend in Sept, and I've already got that weekend listed as closets in our bedroom. Once DS is alseep, I'll have a few hours each night to purge and put it all back together. I can leave things out on the bed and go sleep in DS's room (bunk bed). I can't pull off Kris's all weekend organizing, but I should be able to get the bedroom done.

Oh, another suggestion if you haven't already done it. I use the back of closet doors. I have over door hanging bags - one in DS's room for things like belts, scarves etc. Our doors are mounted too close to top of doorframe to use the overdoor rack that the bags come with, otherwise I would use it for DS's shoes. I have command adhesive hooks on the back of the door and it's not strong enough to hold all his shoes. But it works great for little bits and pieces. I have a 2nd bag, I plan to use on a hallway closet to put all the electronic gadget leads that we have currently jumbled in a drawer. Idea is for each gadget to have a pocket or a basket on the closet shelf if the item is too bulky to go in the pocket eg. DVD player will be in a basket, but the camera charger can be in a pocket. I haven't done this yet, but it's on the list. I'm also going to label each cord. I hate having to search through a jumbled mess and not knowing if the cords fits the phone/camera/pda/video camera/ipod/ etc. So, I'll label the cords.

I also have these from the container store mounted to back of 2 closet doors - I had to screw these in again because I can't use an over the door hook, or it can go on a wall http://www.containerstore.com/shop/elfa/bestSellingSolutions/kitchen?productId=10009292&N=73671 I have one in the closet where the vacuum cleaner goes and the bottom basket holds the vaccum cleaner accessories. Baskets above are for scarves, hats etc. We have a closet in our family room that I've turned into the toy closet. My Dad put shelves in it, and then I put one of these on the back of the door, and the baskets hold art supplies like colouring books, crayons markers, glue etc. The top basket is for permanent markers or messy things. I'm lucky that DS knows to not touch that top basket and he's never tried to climb the baskets to reach it...but that could be a problem for some kids.

WatchingThemGrow
08-26-2010, 10:17 AM
I like those library storage boxes for hanging files! Currently using a file box with a handle on the top of the lid, but it looks SO temporary. We don't have room for a filing cabinet anywhere.

The insides of our closet doors are all spoken for already - broom/mop, 3M hooks for fleeces, kid bath towels, robes/hoodies.

I scored some white 3 shelf bookcases on CL for $5 each, so one went into the boys' closet for kid books since their bookcase is filled with baskets for pj's, swimwear, etc. I'm hoping to transition it one shelf over to toy sets for DS1 to use when he stops napping. He'll be able to take a set or two into my room or the laundry room for some quiet play/rest time on the bed or futon.

DH asked how he could help, so I've got a few pages of "what goes where" info for when we are both here, well, and able to work. funny how that time never just shows up. Maybe I should put it on the calendar.

Two of the CL shelves are going into my room - one for books for us, like bible study stuff, parenting books, hobby (guitar, spanish, lawn care) etc type items. The other will have projects that need to be done, with a list of what they are taped to the top of the shelf.

I tried getting items tried on/stashed in the car faster, but it isn't working. Some are return by mail type things, so they actually need to stay inside the house to get postage stuck on, return slips inside, etc.

We're getting there, slowly... I got a box of those plastic shoe boxes from Costco also. They were really good for organizing our medicine/soap/toothbrush supply shelf and our office in a cabinet projects, so I figured they will be good for toy things also.

What kinds of 3-5yo toys fit well in plastic shoeboxes? I'm thinking Polly Pocket should automatically go in them, maybe small Playmobil sets? Hot Wheels type cars?

KrisM
08-27-2010, 10:32 AM
I was just checking for an update and must have missed this yesterday. I thought of you while I cleaned my bathroom drawers and shelves while the kids played upstairs this morning :).

Personally, I don't like the shoeboxes for the kids stuff. I don't like boxes that don't have lids attached :). I like the boxes you can buy for scrapbooking that are about 14x14x3 and have a handle. I have Matchbox, K'nex, dress up dolls, etc in those and they can carry them to wear they want to play.

I do like the shoeboxes for adult things because I remember to put the lids on :). I have them in the linen closet for toothbrushes/paste, batteries by size, razors, first aid, etc.

I was talking to DH about DS1's room last night. He's 6 and is really starting to play in his room a lot now. He has an Expedit in there, which is great. His dressers are in the closet and I want to get rid of them (very old and don't really work well) and put a closet organizer in instead. Also, I thought about tearing out the carpet and putting in Pergo. It seems like most of his toys are hampered by carpet and are too big for the train table (Lego, Rokenbok, marble runs). I wish I knew what I know about the kids now before we moved into this house and I could have started differently!

niccig
08-28-2010, 02:06 AM
What kinds of 3-5yo toys fit well in plastic shoeboxes? I'm thinking Polly Pocket should automatically go in them, maybe small Playmobil sets? Hot Wheels type cars?

I have bigger boxes, about 2 shoe boxes size. DS has so many matchbox cars that they take up one of those. DS can deal with the lids as he's 5.5 years old. He has stepped on some lids and cracked the handle, but they still fit on.

Organizing is slow going. I got a lot done these last few days - mostly purging too get rid of things we don't need anymore. I need to go back over a few areas and put things into baskets/plastic bins to keep them contained. That should be an easier task as all the extra items have gone.

I will admit I grabbed a garbage bag and just put in extra toys/stuffed animals and put it under DS's bed. ILs were coming and I didn't have time to sort through those items for trash/donation/keep. So, in a bag and under DS's bed hopefully just until they leave and not in several months :bag:

It is much easier to be able to open the toy closet/pantry/bathroom cabinet and quickly find what I want as all the extra crappola is gone. That's a nice feeling, and I hope once the ILs go, I keep up this motivation.

WatchingThemGrow
08-28-2010, 06:47 AM
just updating - big day of organizing ahead. DH is taking two big kids to Lowes for craft time, and he has enlisted himself for naptime. Getting there.

Love the scrapbook boxes, had hoped to use them for something. How do you store them, Kris?

Nicci, have you seen the library storage files elsewhere? We will be near a Container Store in Dec, but not until then.

For DS1 (nearly 3) I need to create a play area somewhere else in the house as DS2 will be sleeping in their room at naptime. Good to know I may need to consider a hard floor surface. I was considering the mudroom which has FLOR in it. Ok, gotta go for now - a HUGE yardsale is happening down the road (limiting the junk, of course), then I'm getting busy for the day... Thanks, y'all!

KrisM
08-28-2010, 07:53 AM
We have wire cubes (http://www.target.com/Whitmor-Set-Storage-Cubes-Purple/dp/B000LRBOFC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=wire%20cube&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-2&qid=1282996208&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Whitmor%20Set%20Storage%20Cubes%20Purple&node=1038576%7C1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_ primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0)that fit the scrapbook boxes perfectly. The wire cubes aren't super sturdy - I have to recreated them maybe twice a year. But, they fit into odd spots better. I have a 2x3 in between 2 book shelves in the playroom and I left the top open so taller things can go there. I can fit 4 of the scrapbook boxes in a cube opening. Another good thing about the scrapbook box is that there is alot of surface area, so less dumping seems to happen :).

Have a great day and I hope you get a ton done!

WatchingThemGrow
08-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Just checking in to say that I need to work by lists. Got going, but realized that some items in our coat-turned-toy closet were smelling funky - and there was a reason. Some of the gymbags/ etc had white spots on them. So...I cleaned out, bleached and reorganized that closet in the midst of doing the other stuff. I got about an hour in the morning to work before DS2 woke up, then we had lunch and went to see TS3. After that it was dinner, giving back our borrowed cat, bike-riding and bath time. Now I'm just exhausted. I'm going to make lists for DH. That's the only way stuff gets done around here.

Oohh...I know what I can do without moving...make all the new labels for the clear bins in the attic. Kris, what did you end up using for those? I like sticking white cardstock inside the box and taping it to the front. A huge list for the bins is waiting for me.

WatchingThemGrow
09-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Still cranking along here. What I've discovered is that during the week, there really is not much time for getting stuff done. DH took the DC out for a few hours yesterday, and I made some headway. Then, I ended up getting a bunch of CL/ebay stuff folded and put into bins, and a lot of stuff ready for the attic. Now, there are 2 table tops of random small stuff to sort though. Still need to work on DSs' underbed storage.

And then...we hear a mouse this morning. :( Now I'll to deal with that before continuing on... waah.

KrisM
09-05-2010, 07:43 AM
I didn't end up with any new bins of stuff this last time! I have a pile in my bedroom, but they're all for the mom2mom sale in October, so they don't need to be labeled. I do need to go through them and make sure everything in there is sellable and folded nicely and maybe even sorted by size before I get there, but I'll probably wait until the end of the month.

I do have bins in the garage for Christmas, etc and I label 2 sides with a Sharpie on an index card.

I need to get some time to finish up this weekend, too. I still have a pile of empty bins in the dining room that need to go somewhere. I've used a bunch in the past couple of weeks though - I used some baskets to organize under the kitchen sink last week and it was nice to not have to buy anything! But, the bigger bins can just get stored for now.

Sorry about the mouse. Yuck on that!

WatchingThemGrow
09-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Oh, yes, the labeling.... I used 1/2 sheets (longways) of cardstock labeled with huge marks-a-lot marker or similar, stuck inside the clear bins. DH LOVES that I can send him into the attic with something and he knows where to put it. Well, if it a labeled bin. Still need to work on the "greater attic plan" when it cools off.

Do you have a place to stack the extra containers? I find them really useful in the sorting stage.

KrisM
09-05-2010, 08:01 AM
The containers I have are random shapes and sizes it seems and don't stack/nest well. There are a few I"m just getting rid of because I don't like the tops. Others I'll keep and I'll try to keep some more handy than others. I have laundry baskets that I can use for sorting if I need to.

I'm hoping to get into DD's closet this weekend. It's huge and had lots of random things in it. We still have a book case in there and a lot of our stuff, but it's getting to where we can use it for her soon. It's around 10 feet by 6 feet deep. Crazy and I don't even know what to do to keep it neat when I get it cleaned.