PDA

View Full Version : Dear DS

HIU8
08-22-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm tired. Please take a breath and stop. From the moment you wake up until the moment you go to bed it's nothing buy questions all day long. They are sometimes insightful and sometimes I wonder if you are paying attention to me at all. BTW, you are 5.5. Shouldn't you have done this a year ago? Now you have DD doing it also (she is 3). If this continues at the same rate I think my head might explode. From now on, when you have a question we are looking it up on the internet or in your encyclopedia.

sarahsthreads
08-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Oh, I feel your pain. I don't deal with questions all day long anymore, but I'm subjected to non-stop talk about whatever random thought pops into DD1's head. Following what she's trying to say is like trying to track a butterfly flittering all around the yard.

And then she usually ends her lengthy monologue with a question that makes you realize you didn't actually understand more than half of what she said before and then you have to ask her to repeat herself.

The encyclopedia is a good idea. Or set him loose with google. ;)

Sarah :)

DietCokeLover
08-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Oh, I know! DS is only 2.5, but if I had a dollar for every time I heard "Mommy, what doing?" I'd be a VERY wealthy woman.

wendibird22
08-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I was a non stop chatter box when I was little. My mom said she's tried to play a game and tell me my belly button was my on/off switch and would "switch me off" and see how long I could stay quiet. I'm hoping this isn't genetic!

hillview
08-23-2010, 09:22 AM
I instituted quiet time as well as music time when I feel this way. Music time we listen to loud music and there is no talking (sometimes dancing).
/hillary

egoldber
08-23-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't know that they grow out of this. But it's one reason I encourage older DD to read and one reason I am considering actively teaching younger DD.... some days it questions from both of them all.day.long.....

HIU8
08-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Yup. here to. They have both been home with me for 5 weeks. I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to pre-K and preschool to start!

LarsMal
08-23-2010, 02:15 PM
DS is turning 5 on Friday and is suddenly into asking a zillion questions a day. He's always been curious about things and asked questions, but it is out of control right now! I like that he is interested in finding out how things work, but it's all.day.long. I have started putting a limit on his questions. Driving in the car is the worst because I can't get away from him! I have to tell him I can't concentrate on the road and listen to his questions.

Oh...and half the time he asks and I answer he tells me I'm wrong. Punk!

HIU8
08-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Oh yeah. I get the "NO, Mommy" thing all the time when I answer his questions. Heck, I'm just hoping he is taking it all in and will someday be a rocket scientist (teehee).

trentsmom
08-23-2010, 08:30 PM
I have a non-stop talker, too. And for the past few days he's been asking for the definitions of words. I think it's time to show him how to use a dictionary.

DH said he never understood an expression his mom used - You're just talking to hear your head rattle - until we had DS1!

hellokitty
08-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I feel your pain! Both DS1 and DS2 are like this. I think it's healthy for them to ask questions and I try to patiently answer them. However, the questions that drive me absolutely batty are the DUMB ones where they KNOW the answer, yet they keep asking me the question!!! I don't know what the deal is with that, but both of my older two do this and I feel like it's a, "let's drive mommy looney" tactic.