PDA

View Full Version : Hand, foot, mouth SUCKS!

wendibird22
08-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Come on ladies, join me in cursing the dreaded HFM disease. DD1 was sick all weekend. Started late Fri night with a high fever that came on in her sleep (we checked because she was whining in her sleep). Saturday was a fever of 103 and a stomach ache. Threw up on me so we thought stomach bug. But, it was right after a crying spell so I think she just had herself too upset cause we didn't have any other GI issues all weekend. Then came the complaining about her mouth hurting and the never.ending.whining. Oh the drama and tears were non stop. Then yesterday was a raging sore throat. DH took her to after hrs and rapid strep test was negative. I saw spots inside her lower lip and tip of her tongue last night so I'm thinking it's HFM. The fever has been gone since yesterday afternoon but the pain and misery continues. Motrin helps for about 1hr with the pain but the rest of the time it's just tears and complaining. And the worst is that she's hungry and thirsty. She's pretty much living on juice pops right now.

I feel so bad for her but I feel worse right now for DH who is home with both girls and dealing with the whining. DH even commented that they have a vax for chicken pox but not this?!!!!!

Seriously, this has got to be one of the worst children's viruses. Here's hoping 8mos DD2 doesn't get it.

scrooks
08-23-2010, 12:07 PM
:grouphug: Hope you DD feels better soon. My DD had it last fall and it was by far the worst illness she has experienced to date!

deborah_r
08-23-2010, 02:06 PM
BTDT...hated it!!! I'm with ya! It was awful!!!

hollybloom24
08-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm sorry! I had it as an adult five years ago and it was one of the most painful things. I hope your children feel better soon, the poor things!!!

SnuggleBuggles
08-23-2010, 09:01 PM
It does suck. Ds2 had it this summer and had to miss his last week of school. The fever part wasn't that horrible b/c he was in decent spirits. The # was super high and scary though! But the sore throat? Dreadful! He never had sores anywhere (thank goodness) so we got off a bit lucky there. It really is horrible. I hope it passes soon.

Beth

DrSally
08-23-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm sorry! Sounds horrible!

eno0609
08-23-2010, 11:59 PM
I know how you feel, last year DD got something that sounds just like this, but it's called Herpangina (not related to the herpes virus, thankfully) it's like HFM but the sores are only in the mouth/throat. It started the same way with a sudden fever and yes the whining, crying didn't stop for days and it took exactly a week for her to get back to normal. We were so lucky that DS who was about 6 or 7 months at the time did not get it. (I credit the breastmilk antibodies for that:thumbsup:) Good luck, it will be over soon enough! Also if it's any consolation, apparently once they get it they should be resistant to getting that particular strain of it again.

srhs
08-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Totally sucks!!!
Both DSs had it this spring. :(
Only comfort I can offer is that in a few months, this will all be a distant, irritable memory!

wendibird22
08-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks for commiserating with me ladies! DD1 had a slightly better day yesterday and is so far a bit better today...who wouldn't be ok when you keep getting offered milkshakes and slushies!

Of course went to bathe DD2 last night and discovered a pin dot rash all over her body and a very slight raised temp (not high enough for me to call it a fever). Hoping that the lovely BF antibodies will keep her with just a rash and not progress to the mouth sores. DH is taking her to the ped today because they said they wanted to see her if she started showing symptoms.

I've always been prone to canker sores. As a kid I'd get them in clusters and it would hurt so bad, so I can only imagine how painful it is for DD1 to have them all around her mouth.

wendibird22
08-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Ugh, DH just texted me to say that he feels like junk and has a fever of 101.7. So, DD1 is on the mend from it, DD2 has the rash and some crankiness, and now DH has aches and a fever. Yep, looking forward to leaving work today, Not!