PDA

View Full Version : What the hell am I supposed to do with this?

Fairy
08-23-2010, 10:05 AM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u178/FairyMay9/IMG_5346.jpg

I mean, c'mon. I'm told it's so full of seeds that I must be sure to slice it lengthwise over the sink and then scoop them out. But ... but ... but ... I don't have a sink big enough for this. And even if I did get it sliced, what do I make?!

DebbieJ
08-23-2010, 10:27 AM
shred it up and use it for zucchini bread, cake, etc. That's what I did with the gigantic ones from my dad's garden.

ThreeofUs
08-23-2010, 10:28 AM
I never scoop out the seeds. (eek?)

I just slice it into circles and fry or bake with olive oil and garlic. Add a little chopped tomato at the end and let it sit on low heat for a bit, and it's wonderful!

Or, I guess, you could use it as a club....

GL.

wendibird22
08-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Zucchini bread. That's what DH does with our green baseball bats.

Fairy
08-23-2010, 11:02 AM
IOr, I guess, you could use it as a club....

I have plenty of applications for this.

MommyAllison
08-23-2010, 12:42 PM
I have a zucchini cupcake recipe that is supposed to be amazing, if you want it. If you just want it out of the way, I'd shred and freeze in 1 cup servings.

MontrealMum
08-23-2010, 12:45 PM
I have never in my life scooped seeds out of a zucchini. I either do like Ivy described (not the club ;) , the frying), or I make zucchin bread. But due to my health kick, I don't fry anymore. Let me know if you want the recipe for the bread, it's really yummy either plain or with a little cream or goat cheese. It's also nice to add to a tomato/pasta sauce.

Fairy
08-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Guys, I'll totally take the cupcake and z'bread recipes. Thank you! I think I'll cook up some of it into something with tomatos or grill it, maybe.

jammytoast
08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
slice, quarter, sautee in olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.

then take the last 3/4 and shred for muffins/cupcakes :)

Twoboos
08-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Recipes, coming at you!

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes via Big City Cooking
Makes 24 muffins

3 cups all-purpose flour (half White/Half whole wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
1/4 tsp ground cloves (optional)
1 cup vegetable oil (half veg oil/half apple sauce)
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp grated lemon zest
2 cups brown sugar (You can probably cut this to 1C)
3 cups packed grated zucchini
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (or use less mini-choc chips!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin tins with paper liners.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. In another bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest until well blended. Whisk in brown sugar until smooth. Stir in zucchini and then add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Divide the batter evenly into muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Transfer muffins on a wire rack to cool.

Use substitutes as you see appropriate for these two:

Blueberry Zucchini Bread
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/blueberry-zucchini-bread/Detail.aspx

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chocolate-zucchini-muffins/Detail.aspx
(Tip on this: don't use olive oil instead of veg oil when you're not paying attention to what you're doing!! :irked: They came out OK but I don't recommend it.)

Also, you can chop that bad boy up and grill with some onions, olive oil and s/p. YUMMY!!!

ETA: This recipe just came into my inbox. Looks like a zucchini quiche type thing.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/zucchini-pie-10000000780293/index.html?xid=dailyrecnews-08-23-2010?xid=dailyrecnews-08-23-2010

Smillow
08-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Blueberry Zucchini Bread
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/blueberry-zucchini-bread/Detail.aspx

I made this recipe (but with 4 eggs) last night (using half WW flour & half AP flour, and 1 cup white sugar + 1 cup of light brown sugar and used frozen blueberries) and it turned out pretty good! I can't taste the cinnamon at all, though!

MontrealMum
08-23-2010, 01:22 PM
I sent it off to you :) Happy baking!

alien_host
08-23-2010, 02:03 PM
LOL, I've seen bigger! DD submitted a huge zucchini to a local fair for the longest zucchini and we didn't even come close...the attached pic is from the adult submissions, I forgot to take a pic of the kids ones...gigantic ones! (second attachment).

For fun the first pic was 3 years ago...I think my then 2 YO was scared of it! :)

Check out this thread.....

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=365011

I made these awesome zucchini with blue cheese things...supposed to be small bitesized but with the bigger zucchini's, it makes a great side dish.

The chocolate zucchini cake was great! Thanks to the PP who posted it!

I also got this receipe from friend...very tasty! I baked them in the toaster oven. They were pretty and very yummy!

Cheesy Zucchini Bites appetizer:

Ingredients
5 medium zucchini (about 6 inches long)
4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 pint cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced

Directions
1. Cut zucchini into 3/4-inch slices. Using a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out the insides and discard, leaving the bottom intact. Place zucchini on an ungreased baking sheet; spoon 1/2teaspoon crumbled blue cheese into each.

2. Combine the Parmesan cheese, basil, and pepper; sprinkle half over blue cheese. Top each with a tomato slice; sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan mixture. Bake at 400°F until cheese is melted, 5-7 minutes. Serve warm.

crl
08-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Definitely go with bread. My grandfather used to deliberately let some of his get all big and woody like that and then give them to my mom to make bread with, because "you can't let them go to waste" and "well, I guess they are only good for bread now.".

I miss my grandfather.

Catherine

Fairy
08-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Ooooh. I understand. I miss my grandmother. I'll never eat her tuna salad again :-(

kijip
08-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Slice thinly in crosswise. Think like pepperoni shape and thickness. Marinate is something yummy like italian dressing. Use on pizza with tomatoes and mushrooms. One of the best pizza toppings ever.

I have never in my life, and I cook a lot, seeded a zucchini. I have no idea I was supposed to. In other squash, there is a cavity where the seeds and strings are and they are easy to scoop out. Zucchini? Seeds are part of the deal.

alien_host
08-31-2010, 08:52 AM
Slice thinly in crosswise. Think like pepperoni shape and thickness. Marinate is something yummy like italian dressing. Use on pizza with tomatoes and mushrooms. One of the best pizza toppings ever.

Oooh this sounds yummy!

I'm on my last 2 zucchinis, DH is getting very tired of them! I might actually cook them with the tomato sauce and then use the blender to mix it in, hidden veggies....can't hurt right?