PDA

View Full Version : When to start solids?

crl
08-23-2010, 05:19 PM
How did you decide it was time to start solids?

Strictly by age? What age?

When your ped said to?

Because your dc seemed ready? What were the signs?

My dd is 4.5 months old. My ped didn't mention solids at her 4 month appointment. I was planning on starting around 6 months so I didn't ask. But a couple of people have mentioned starting at around 4 months to me. And dd has started staring pretty intently at our food. . . .

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥
08-23-2010, 05:26 PM
we started at 5 months, bc at that point DS was reaching for food and was going crazy whenever we were at the table eating. it became obvious thta he was very interested in eating whenever we ate (for example. he would be fine at a restaurant until one of us started eating, then he would start fussing and reaching for food, etc). so we started with rice cereal first and then did green beans, peas, etc.

our ped had told us we could introduce solids at 4mo, but i felt that was too early, bc his head control/sitting weren't that great. but at 5 mo they were a lot better plus he clearly had an interest so we decided to do it then. don't think we could have held off till 6 months without him having bitten our heads off. he really really really wanted to eat solids.

edurnemk
08-23-2010, 05:28 PM
We EBF until 6 months, I had decided that previously and also because I thought it better to wait until he could sit unassisted.

A few days before he turned 6 months I let him have some diced banana since he seemed super ineterested in our food. He mostly played with it and didn't eat it. A few days later we gave him rice cereal, and again he mostly played and didn't swallow much since it takes a while for them to learn to swallow solids, I didn't push it, but just kept offering it every few days until he got the hang of it. But since solids at that age are not really needed for nutritional value, I think there's no hurry and no specific age to start.

IIRC the Ped said we could start if we wanted to at 4 months, but it was fine if we waited 6.

IMHO, at 4.5 months she's staring at food out of curiosity and because babies observe everything parents do, but not specifically because she wants to eat it. DS was more interested in squishing food at first, not eating it.

HonoluluMom
08-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Started solids when DD was almost 6 months old per the ped's advice. DD also seemed ready as she had been looking longingly at our food for quite some time.

crl
08-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks! I do think she needs to be much better at sitting before we start. Thanks for making that point. I have stuck her in the Tripp trapp for entertainment value and she slumps and I take her back out in a few minutes.

Also, I am seriously thinking that we will do baby led solids, which I also think suggest waiting.

Catherine

llama8
08-23-2010, 07:35 PM
My DD started solids with no problems at 4 months, but she was able to sit on her own with great head control. She loved solids and we never regretted it. At 9 months she is really enjoying finger food.

Smillow
08-23-2010, 09:19 PM
My DS did not start solids until 11 1/2 months. He was just not interested at all. He would just play with the food with his fingers. He didn't put ANYTHING in his mouth, toys, teethers, nothing. It was a pain because he also wouldn't take a bottle, so I didn't get too many (any?) breaks from BF for a long time! I wasn't too worried about the delay as I was interested in keeping his immunity high through the winter.

Dr C
08-23-2010, 09:35 PM
We started solids with DS at 4 months and I think in hindsight it was too early. DD we started around 5.5 months and when she was literally grabbing food out of my hand/plate and stuffing it in her mouth. It went much smoother for her. We did the BLW thing with her (mostly) and it has been great. There is recent research that there are lower risks of allergies and diabetes if you wait a little longer... so I figure it's best to watch until your baby is giving you clear signs that he is ready, and not to rush it if you're not sure.

indigo99
08-23-2010, 09:53 PM
It is generally recommended that you don't start before 6 months as outlined here
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

We started just after six months. He was able to sit up in his highchair and be at the table with us then, and he was showing interest.

AnnieW625
08-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Strictly by age? What age? DD1 started at 4 mos. old

When your ped said to? yes we went with what her ped. said; it was the one pre 12 mos. visit that I didn't go to as I was back at work and DH was off bonding with DD. I never asked and DH didn't say why; I figured it was normal. I wasn't posting much here yet.

Because your dc seemed ready? What were the signs? DD1 seemed ready; she did quite well. We started with rice cereal or an orange veggie every three days; then after she was good with that after about two weeks we started every other day. I think we added green veggies by the time she was 5 mos. old. We added yogurt at just about 7 mos. old.

We go the pediatrician on the 2nd for DD2's 4 mos. appt., and we go to Kaiser now too (we had Blue Cross with DD1) so it will be interesting to see what they say about this as they are very crunchy when it comes to baby care:). DD2 is already getting rice starch in her formula (Similac RS) because it's the best formula so far that has helped her spit up:).

crl
08-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Thank you all! Perhaps I should have mentioned that dd is formula fed (she is adopted). Nonetheless I think we will be waiting until she is closer to 6 months.

Catherine

BabbyO
08-24-2010, 03:38 PM
...DD we started around 5.5 months and when she was literally grabbing food out of my hand/plate and stuffing it in her mouth. It went much smoother for her. We did the BLW thing with her (mostly) and it has been great. There is recent research that there are lower risks of allergies and diabetes if you wait a little longer... so I figure it's best to watch until your baby is giving you clear signs that he is ready, and not to rush it if you're not sure.

:yeahthat:

Our DS was about 5.5 mo, staring at our food, trying to grab it, but we waited until he was 6 mo because he has food allergies and we were waiting for the all clear from the doc. When we started, we tried to do the rice cereal/purees thing. We quickly found out he didn't want that "gruel" he wanted nice tree-like broccoli! I read and followed Gill Rapley's book Baby Led Weaning (BLW) and we've been a very happy family since.

When it comes to LO #2, we're planning to follow his/her lead (assuming it isn't significantly earlier than 6 mo). The BLW way has been very good to us. We've rarely ended up with whining or HUGE messes at meal times. That's not to say we haven't had messes...but I can only think of one instance where it was out of control and DH helped bring that one on!