PDA

View Full Version : How to get DD to eat Veges

PMJ
08-24-2010, 11:56 PM
DD is about 10.5 months old. She has been EBF for 6 months and then we began introducing solids to her around 6.5 months or so -- the Baby-led Weaning way.

I'm beyond frustrated right now. I keep introducing all kinds of foods to her, and she seems to like certain foods and only sticks with them (I guess this is what we adults do too...)

Things she does enjoy:
strawberries, cantaloupe, banana (sometimes), cheese (1 kind), yogurt (sometimes), bagels (loves bread)...

As you can see, she rarely eats vegs. I've introduced many to her, but she might take one or two bites (no teeth yet), and then screams a hissy fit b/c she does not want it any more.

1) Please help me / teach me how to get my DD to like veges.

2) I was trying to not give her any of the ready-made pureed baby food (Gerber etc) b/c I have always thought it had preservatives in them and I just figured fresh food was better. Am I wrong here? Maybe I should try one of these.?

Thanks so much !

egoldber
08-25-2010, 08:14 AM
What have you tried?

Sweet potato and carrots are generally popular. I think green veggies are harder.

BabbyO
08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
We did BLW, too. My DS loved veggies at first, but with all the summer melon he's not as interested in his veggies. My guy seems to like them better if they are roasted. We just put a little olive oil and salt (just a pinch) and cook them in the oven under the broiler. Ok, maybe that's not roasted...but he seems to like veggies that way. He's also developed a fascination with peas and corn (I think because they are little and he can practice picking them up - but he always eats them, too).

I would just keep offering veggies in a variety of preparations.

PP about sweet potatoes and carrots, has a great point...they may be accepted better because they are sweeter.

Don't stress...if you keep offering a variety of options your LO will eat what she needs.

llama8
08-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Offer her only veggies at a particular time when she is very hungry. My DD is 9 months. There are certain foods she likes less than others, but she needs to eat them. I don't give her a choice and if she is hungry enough, she eats them with little issue. Sometimes I mix it with a fruit to make it tastier.

My DD loves most veggies and fruits. She really only gives me an issue with Sweet Potato and a few meat dinners.

Green beans, peas, squash, and carrots are favs. (Earth's best jars mostly)

I don't know much about babyled-weaning, but I haven't had any solid food issues just feeding her what I want her to eat. She can choose her foods when she is a little older and understands better decision making.

(If I let her choose her own food, it would be Gerber Graduate puffs and cut up blueberries all day which isn't balanced).

PMJ
08-25-2010, 11:31 AM
I guess that is mostly my issue... I don't put any seasoning, salt or any flavoring on what I'm giving her. I was afraid she was a bit too young.

I guess I will try that !

I'll also try getting some of those baby food jars - Earth's Best. Maybe she will take to that.

Veges I have given to her: carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, cucumbers,

BabbyO
08-25-2010, 05:27 PM
I guess that is mostly my issue... I don't put any seasoning, salt or any flavoring on what I'm giving her. I was afraid she was a bit too young.

I'm a bit more generous with salt than most moms, but that is because my DS has food allergies that severly limit his intake of prepared foods. Nearly everything he eats is prepared fresh from us so we control how much sodium he gets. When I was still nursing (and on the same diet as him) I found myself craving salt because I wasn't getting nearly as much with the limited diet.

Spices like basil, tyme, etc can add some nice flavor without the concerns of excess salt. (we haven't limited much by way of spices and DS' favorite is garlic and lots of it! :) )

alirebco
08-25-2010, 06:36 PM
You have to keep trying with the same veggie. Peas can be pretty sweet and also fun for a 10 month old. Same with the orange veggies. Just give her one of them and keep trying for at least 10 times in a row. Also try putting butter on them.

barkley1
08-26-2010, 10:19 AM
I have the same problem. DS won't touch anything green except avocado and green noodles, LOL. Well, really, he won't eat veggies at all, even carrots and sweet potato!! he used to like green beans b/c it was fun to pick up on his own, but that has apparently worn off. I'm just hoping he's getting enough vitamins through fruit, yogurt, whole wheat bread and milk these days...our ped did recommend a multivitamin, so I'm giving him Poly-Vi-Sol each day.

One thing he will eat though, is this organic spinach and pear mixture in a squeeze packet from Babies R Us (can't remember the brand)...