PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible....

newg
08-25-2010, 01:49 PM
For a newborn to have a reaction to one kind of similac but not another?? DD2 is a BF baby, but had to supplement her first week because she was born early. We were giving her the single use bottles of similac. Since week1 she has been EBF 'till last night. I didn't make it home from the store in time so DH (forgetting I had some frozen milk) made up a bottle of powder similac ...and three hours later DD2 started having horrible vomitting. And the rest of the night she didn't keep any BM down either.
No fever thankfully. Just throwing up whatever liquid was in her stomach. DH and I took turns sitting up with her and finally at the 7am feeding she was back to normal.
When we called the Ped. this morning they said it was the formula.

Anyone else had this experience with two different forms of formula of the same brand ???

WolfpackMom
08-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I havent btdt, but I do have a friend whose DS was formula fed and the powder version of Similac gave him a belly ache (not to the point of throwing up) so he could only be on the premixed type - which was mighty expensive for a formula only baby!

c&j04
08-25-2010, 05:38 PM
One 6oz. bottle of Similac blue label will have DS vomiting at the end of bottle and for about 5 hrs. I use the gentle formula-purple label.

JBaxter
08-25-2010, 06:11 PM
regular similac would give Jack the belly ache and constipation we did the orange lable sensitive formula

DrSally
08-25-2010, 11:08 PM
IDK, I haven't heard of that happening. BUt, this is a very *remote* possiblity. Powdered formula has a higher chance of bacterial contamination, which is why it's recommended to use RTF formula for the first 4 weeks or so. I'm sure this is not what happened to your Dd, but just something that popped into my head.

Could it be that DD got a larger amount of formula than she's had in the past during this feeding? Maybe she was ok with smaller amounts, but a larger amount upset her tummy?

heatherandlouis
08-26-2010, 01:18 AM
My son is allergic to corn. We found this out by using different formulas when he was born. The powder formulas have corn products in them where as most regular milk based ready to feed formulas don't. Try the ready to feed next time and compare the ingredients.

Fairy
08-26-2010, 02:57 AM
U do not want to go from ready made to powder or vice versa. It causes this kind of thing. If u have to, ok, go, but do it and stay, don't go back and forth and back again. Could b the bacteria thing but probably the change in type. Yes, even within brand. Now that u r on powder, STAY, and stay w/the brand.

newg
08-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Well after talking to the ped. some more we've decided that she def. has some acid reflux. Not sure if that is related to the big formula spit-up........but we started her on Zantac this morning and I'm also feeding her more frequently, but less volume..........so about every 1.5-2hrs for only 10min. tops.
I am hoping I can start to build up a supply of BM in the freezer, so we won't have to go to formula in an emergency......but I think DH and I are both afraid of using powder again, so we'll probably have a small supply of the ready-made stuff in the pantry (just in case)

Thanks again for the feedback!

AshleyAnn
08-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Is it possible he accidentally mixed the formula wrong? Once while supplmenting I made a mistake and decided to make a 3 oz bottle for DD when she was 8 weeks old. I added 3 scopes of powder to 3 oz water. I knew how to do it but I was sleep deprived and screwed it up.

She never spit up and that night it was constant projectile scary vomiting that started a couple hours after I fed her the bottle. She refused to eat (bottle or breast) that night but was fine the next morning too.

newg
08-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Is it possible he accidentally mixed the formula wrong? Once while supplmenting I made a mistake and decided to make a 3 oz bottle for DD when she was 8 weeks old. I added 3 scopes of powder to 3 oz water. I knew how to do it but I was sleep deprived and screwed it up.

She never spit up and that night it was constant projectile scary vomiting that started a couple hours after I fed her the bottle. She refused to eat (bottle or breast) that night but was fine the next morning too.

I actually mixed it............and it was one of those indivdula packets that said to mix the whole packet with 4oz. of water. I guess it's possible that I mixed it wrong............another reason to go back to the individual bottles. We just won't be using the formula enough to get "good" at mixing it correctly.

DrSally
08-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Well after talking to the ped. some more we've decided that she def. has some acid reflux. Not sure if that is related to the big formula spit-up........but we started her on Zantac this morning and I'm also feeding her more frequently, but less volume..........so about every 1.5-2hrs for only 10min. tops.
I am hoping I can start to build up a supply of BM in the freezer, so we won't have to go to formula in an emergency......but I think DH and I are both afraid of using powder again, so we'll probably have a small supply of the ready-made stuff in the pantry (just in case)

Thanks again for the feedback!

That might be more convenient for you anyway since you're mostly bfing. I kept some cans of Alimentum handy in case I needed them b/c opening a powder container for 1 feeding was just a waste. Also, when your at your peds for well checkups, you can ask for samples, and they should have RTF single serving samples to give you in your brand. Since you're feeding less volume/time per feeding, make sure she gets enough hindmilk.

newg
08-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Since you're feeding less volume/time per feeding, make sure she gets enough hindmilk.

How do I do this?

DrSally
08-26-2010, 10:23 PM
How do I do this?

It depends. I don't want to suggest you switch things around unless you're having problems. If it appears DC isn't getting enough hindmilk (gassy, hungrier earlier, green poop, etc.), then you might want to block feed. That is, nurse on one side and nurse on the same side for the next feeding. You can kind of see what your milk looks like at the end of the feeding, is it thin or thick and creamy?

daisymommy
08-31-2010, 05:22 PM
FWIW...my DS #1 could only handle the ready made formula, never powder, or he was so seriously colicky and would throw up.

He did have reflux, but the powdered type made it worse.