PDA

View Full Version : GD anyone else? What diet do u follow?

Firsttime
08-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Hey,

Got 5 more weeks to go but the GD diet is making me frustrated at times. Not gaining enough weight and cutting back on yummy treats wasn't at all what I expected to do in pregnancy.
The diet works to keep my blood sugar low but doesn't satisfy me. In the sense that I can barely eat out as it is the restaurant portion sizes are HUGE + gotta be soooo picky. I run out of ideas.
Anyone else with it? What is your meal planning? Are you following some diet book?

My nutritionist recommended
breakfast - some carb(1 slice bread or oatmeal) + protein
snacks- fruits + nuts
Lunch - carb + protein (meat/fish/poultry)
similar for rest of the day.

I seem to be on such stringent schedule that if i wake up late or am late in taking one helping it pushes everything out. Then one reading gets out of whack - not huge but still >140 or 120(stringent target) :(

ThreeofUs
08-26-2010, 10:23 AM
You should be eating every two hours, from the diabetes association lists, as:
b'fast
snack
lunch
snack
dinner
snack

I know I found it HARD to eat this much, but remember that serving sizes are small. A handful of walnuts, for example, is a great snack (especially if you have this with a small slice of cheese). So I'd have food with me whereever I went, just in small quantities.

Look at food lists here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00077

GL!

nrp
08-26-2010, 12:31 PM
When I had GD, I was very careful to limit my carbs to the recommended amounts in my diet plan (and, as Threeofus suggested, I was instructed to eat six times a day, according to a specified plan), but I did not pay as close attention to my portion sizes for fats and proteins. I found that I could eat more of those than was strictly on my plan and still keep my numbers in good control. Peanut butter and cheese were definitely my friends! That allowed me to keep my self satiated and felt like an indulgence. So, at a restaurant, I would make sure to limit my carbs, but if the grilled chicken breast I ordered was bigger than the, say, two protein servings I was allowed at that meal, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, my OB told me that I could "blow it" once a week or so, if I was really craving something naughty, and it wouldn't have any real ill effects (not suggesting you do this without your nutritionist or doctor's okay). When I did, I was usually careful to take a nice long walk afterwards and my numbers rarely strayed too high as a result.

One thing - did your nutritionist give you a more detailed plan than the one you laid out below? If not, I would ask for more guidance. I received a personalized plan with how many carbs, proteins, and fats to eat at each meal and snack, as well as suggestions on what to eat in each category.

Also, for what it's worth, I gained very little weight with my GD pregnancy (seven pounds total, most of it before my GD diagnosis), and my doc was not at all concerned. DS was a healthy 6 lbs 13 ounces at 38.5 weeks.

Firsttime
08-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Wow, I am surprised and encouraged with your wt gain but glad to hear that the baby was still a good size & hopefully no labor complications. So guess 17Lbs in 8 mos isn't bad then. At this point I am almost more concerned abt low birth wt than abt the baby being big.
Its hard to keep the focus and fight any "conditions". I dont feel any different but the Drs & MW do take it so seriously that I feel concerned.

I am changing my RD. Think she gave me too little calories, made me lose 2-3 lbs (which on further reading seems a normal response to change in diet) and I was hungry and felt weak. And gave me a $200 bill that isn't yet paid by insurance :(
She explained more in terms of calories and outlined very few meal options. I was and still am frustrated that I do not know of more breakfast options other than oatmeal & bread+eggs. Got books from Lib on meals again they are mostly lunch/dinner; not snacks or breakfasts.
And sometimes even with RD's diet my blood sugar would be in 140s. Then my endocro... explained in terms of total carbs and that helped me way better in being able to read labels and choose snacks. Honestly, I have been cheating every now n then with cakes, brownies(this didn't work as well) and sweets (hv a sweet tooth) and then trying to make up with walking extra. Thankfully reading still maxes in 140s (I am provided a goal of 120 post meal). I really hope to stay focus these last few weeks so that I dont get a c-sectn.

elizabethkott
08-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey Firsttime -
I had GD with my most recent pregnancy.
Breakfast that worked for me was 1 sandwich thin, toasted with 2 tbsp of natural Jif peanut butter and 1 tbsp of polaner sugar-free jam with Fiber and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. Boring, yes, but I found that the higher protein content helped me.
Snacks that worked for me were the South Beach Protein Fit bars - 15-18 grams of carbs, easy to throw in a purse for on-the-go and fairly decent tasting. I would have one of the chocolate ones each day to cure my craving for something sweet.
For me, I was a vegetarian during my pregnancy, since I would get horribly sick with chicken and meat. So I did eat a good deal of fish. Salmon is a great eating out option, with a 1/2 baked potato on the side as your carb. Remember that protein will help to fill you up if you are feeling hungry.
For a "treat" I discovered the popsicle brand sugar-free pops. They actually helped me get through the summer! :)
Feel free to PM me if you want my full standard daily menu. It's boring, but it kept my levels stable. GD sucks. :(