PDA

View Full Version : LMP when you have funny cycles--did you "catch up"?

luckytwenty
08-26-2010, 10:22 AM
My EDD based on LMP was Nov. 3, and when I went in at what would have been 7 weeks had I had a 28 day cycle, there was no heartbeat, but I knew I had ovulated around day 20 something or so and wasn't worried. A week later the OB had me come back, and sure enoug there was the heartbeat and here I am, in my third trimester with a very active baby!

Anyway, for the past few months, I've actually been measuring as if my EDD is Nov. 3, right on schedule. Even though I think my EDD should be about a week later than that. It ultimately doesn't matter because with a scheduled c-section scheduled Nov. 1, I'll be somewhere between 38 1/2 and 40 weeks, all of which is totally fine for a healthy, term baby--but I just wondered if other "late ovulaters" found that eventually during the pregnancy, they "caught up" to their original EDD?

brgnmom
08-26-2010, 10:48 AM
My EDD based on LMP was Nov. 3, and when I went in at what would have been 7 weeks had I had a 28 day cycle, there was no heartbeat, but I knew I had ovulated around day 20 something or so and wasn't worried. A week later the OB had me come back, and sure enoug there was the heartbeat and here I am, in my third trimester with a very active baby!

Anyway, for the past few months, I've actually been measuring as if my EDD is Nov. 3, right on schedule. Even though I think my EDD should be about a week later than that. It ultimately doesn't matter because with a scheduled c-section scheduled Nov. 1, I'll be somewhere between 38 1/2 and 40 weeks, all of which is totally fine for a healthy, term baby--but I just wondered if other "late ovulaters" found that eventually during the pregnancy, they "caught up" to their original EDD?

I think I'm a late ovulater too, because my DH and I weren't actively trying when we conceived DC2 who I'm currently pregnant w/. I have a November EDD too, although based on LMP, my due date was initially October 25th. Based on when I know we could have possibly conceived, the due date is a week or two later, and the very first U/S at 6 weeks confirmed that. We saw the heartbeat at 6 wks, but the baby's measurements indicated a November EDD. My later ultrasounds have shown the baby to be measuring a week ahead of the adjusted due date.

luckytwenty
08-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Sounds like we're in a similar boat. Not sure if we have big babies or not--just surprised that it seems like I would have been OK with the original LMP after all.

brgnmom
08-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Sounds like we're in a similar boat. Not sure if we have big babies or not--just surprised that it seems like I would have been OK with the original LMP after all.

great to connect w/ someone on this board who is in a similar situation. :)

with my son, I was actually measuring smaller than anticipated by a week or two, and he was born three days after the EDD and he was still smaller than I expected at 40 weeks, 3 days (6 pounds, 12 ounces). it's been the complete opposite for my DD-on-the-way so far, although I'm still clearly waiting to see when she'll be born relative to her adjusted EDD and original EDD.

I'm hoping that this baby will be born at full-term (37+ weeks), but that she won't be necessarily overdue like my son was. It's kind of confusing when the EDD has been changed, based upon the first U/S. I might need a c-section as well, depending on if my baby remains breech. My low-lying placenta has moved up and away from the cervix, according to my OB yesterday and the scan.

luckytwenty
08-26-2010, 11:34 AM
There's a good chance she'll turn around--you still have time. I was breech until a few weeks ago (not that it matters much with a scheduled C, but I prefer punches rather than kicks to the cervix these days!) I hope she does. Also, babies do tend to be slightly bigger with each pregnancy, though girls are a little smaller than boys. I hope you make it to 37 weeks. My oldest was born at 37 weeks 0 days and was 6 1/2 lbs...not that that's unhealthy or anything, but I remember getting super upset when he got below 6 lbs after losing the initial birth weight in the hospital.

swissair81
08-26-2010, 02:18 PM
My due date was pushed back 9 days from the date according to my EDD. The original date was 8/26 & they changed it to 9/4. I consistently measured 1 cm below the GA in weeks- which is fine, that is within the normal range. What is interesting though is that DD was born at 38 0/7 weeks & the pediatricians who saw her initially said she was 37 weeks due to physical markers.

bostonsmama
08-26-2010, 02:52 PM
My actual LMP was way off from baby's gestational age as assessed via early u/s. In fact, once we got our first betas, I calculated a dummy LMP as to not freak out my OBs, and they have no idea that I likely ovulated on day 29 of the real LMP. So, they think I got pg on CD 14 of the "adjusted" LMP I gave them, so no miscalculations from them. Fortunately, DD has measured pretty much exactly on date since the beginning. Based on her weight and length, they did say she measured as 2 days "bigger," but that they were sticking with my original EDD. I attribute much of her consistent measurements to continuity of care (same OB, same office, same machines, highly skilled MFM & sono techs). I never expect her to "catch up" to a 28-day version of my LMP.

llama8
08-27-2010, 08:08 AM
My doctor was very concerned with the size of my DD at my initial visit. I charted that cycle and I ovulated on day 26 so when I gave the doctor the info, she realized my DD was exactly on target based on my cycle.

My DD was 9 lbs at birth after a schedule c-section for being breech. She never deviated at any ultrasound to be different than my estimated ovualtion date.
Most people can't believe I have 35-42 day cycles often. It made conceiving a bit of challenge being so irregular. (Taking my temp made all the difference...and made the doctor realize there was no problem with DD)