PDA

View Full Version : Lock for stroller at WDW?

tlw
08-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Do you bring a lock, like a bike lock, I guess, to lock up your stroller?

Do you lock up the one you own or the one that you rent or neither? I've read about strollers being 'stolen' so I just don't know what to think.

TwinFoxes
08-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't plan to. I think WDW discourages it in case they have to move your stroller.

I always wonder if those stories of stolen strollers were more urban legend than true. I mean I'm sure someone's stroller has been stolen in 40 years, but is it a real problem?

Having to tote a lock, and lock and unlock a stroller several times a day for 10 days is not for me! But I'm daring like that. ;)

ETA: And I certainly wouldn't lock a rental stroller.

egoldber
08-26-2010, 10:46 PM
I have never locked a stroller. Thieves are more likely to steal small, high $ items left in your stroller: digital cameras, video cameras, wallets, cellphones, etc.

Most strollers that people think are stolen have either been 1) taken by mistake by someone else (often abandoned later. so I would report it) or 2) moved by a WDW cast member. They constantly shuffle and rearrange strollers left outside rides and restaurants to make room for new ones.

ETA: Not to say that a stroller has never been stolen. But I do think it is quite unlikely.

charmcitymom
08-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I was just in WDW last week and at first, I gulped whenever we had to leave our beloved Maclaren XLR outside all alone. Then I realized that everyone was doing the same with strollers that were just as expensive. Ours didn't get stolen and we didn't hear about anyone else having this problem. We did often come out to find that the stoller had been moved to tidy up and make room for others. I think that carrying a lock would be very cumbersome and tiresome. It would probably get old pretty quickly and then I'd just regret that I brought it.

I saw lots of stollers and none were locked. For whatever reason, we always put the break on it. Somehow that made me feel better.

Edensmum
08-27-2010, 12:54 AM
I think a lock would be a big pain. I understand the fear, but I wouldn't bother. I hate all the moving of the strollers, why do those coming after me need the space I got to first, we spent so much time trying to figure out where they moved them to.

klwa
08-27-2010, 06:51 AM
I agree with the others. I will say that it helps to mark your stroller in some way so that when it's moved, you can find it. I wrapped a brightly colored scarf around the handles. Even when there were 5-6 of the same stroller in a line, I could find mine quickly, and I figured anyone looking for theirs wouldn't mistake mine for it & wander off with it.

hellokitty
08-27-2010, 08:29 AM
I would tie something very notable (I tied a hot pink bandana) to your stroller handle so there are no accidents of ppl getting my stroller mixed up with theirs. I don't think a lock would be a good idea. There is no place to lock your stroller up to for one thing and secondly, they often move strollers around and re-organize them while you are in line or on the ride. I wouldn't be surprised if you were confronted by a worker to tell you that the lock wouldn't be a good idea, b/c of the moving around that they do.

kbud
08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
We live in the area and are passholder so there a lot. I've never locked my stroller nor have I ever seen a stroller locked. Most stroller parking areas don't even have anything to lock a stroller to. There are attendants at most stroller parking areas and they are constantly moving the strollers to keep the open spots clustered together so locking it would mess the "system" up.

Puddy73
08-28-2010, 08:29 AM
I would tie something very notable (I tied a hot pink bandana) to your stroller handle so there are no accidents of ppl getting my stroller mixed up with theirs.

Ditto. Makes it MUCH easier to find your stroller in a whole sea of them!