PDA

View Full Version : 3D/4D Ultrasound experience

PHBrow
08-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi Everyone. I am pregnant with my first child and decided to have a 3D/4D ultrasound and wanted to share my experience.

It turns out that I have an anterior placenta (placenta is in the front) and b/c of the position of the baby to the placenta, they were unable to get any good pics of the baby's face. In researching this on the internet, it sounds like it's often difficult to get a good pic in this case b/c the baby either has to be in just the right position or else you have to extra-super hydrated (which I followed the hydration guidelines...I drank like a fish the past week (I lost count but I'm pretty sure I got up 6 times last night to pee!)) and even still they couldn't get a good pic b/c his face was pressed up against the placenta and there wasn't enough fluid pressed in between to sneak a pic. I heard that your OB can usually tell you if your placenta is anterior. If I had known I may not have had the 3D b/c it's a lot of money to pay to "maybe" get a good look.

On the bright side, even though we couldn't see the baby's full face and didn't get really get any good pics to share w/ the grands (I don't think they're accustomed to the 3D images where the face is obscured and you have to know what to expect otherwise the images can be a bit alarming), we did get some peeks at his face and a lot of his hands. We could see him sucking his thumb which was exciting to see (good sucking reflex!).

LadyPeter
08-28-2010, 05:22 AM
So sorry you were disappointed, but I know even those little glimpses of hands and face just thrilled your heart. My OB's office has signs everywhere that says NO REFUNDS and SATISFACTION NOT GUARANTEED for 3D/4D ultrasounds. But secretly, if they can't get a good look, they refund 2/3 of your money. Any chance your office may do the same?

marymoo86
08-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Hi Everyone. I am pregnant with my first child and decided to have a 3D/4D ultrasound and wanted to share my experience.

It turns out that I have an anterior placenta (placenta is in the front) and b/c of the position of the baby to the placenta, they were unable to get any good pics of the baby's face. In researching this on the internet, it sounds like it's often difficult to get a good pic in this case b/c the baby either has to be in just the right position or else you have to extra-super hydrated (which I followed the hydration guidelines...I drank like a fish the past week (I lost count but I'm pretty sure I got up 6 times last night to pee!)) and even still they couldn't get a good pic b/c his face was pressed up against the placenta and there wasn't enough fluid pressed in between to sneak a pic. I heard that your OB can usually tell you if your placenta is anterior. If I had known I may not have had the 3D b/c it's a lot of money to pay to "maybe" get a good look.

On the bright side, even though we couldn't see the baby's full face and didn't get really get any good pics to share w/ the grands (I don't think they're accustomed to the 3D images where the face is obscured and you have to know what to expect otherwise the images can be a bit alarming), we did get some peeks at his face and a lot of his hands. We could see him sucking his thumb which was exciting to see (good sucking reflex!).

We had the same problem some of the placenta was blocking the face but the office only charges you if want a CD instead of the b/w pics that are printed as long as it is done with a "medically" necessary US. Luckily we weren't out any money and still were able to see a decent view of our baby.