PDA

View Full Version : Do I need two waterproof mattress pads?

Ladybug47
08-29-2010, 02:42 PM
We will be moving my son to a "big-boy bed" in the next few months and are getting his queen-sized bedding together. Do most people get one waterproof mattress pad only, or do they get two and then switch them out if one gets peed on in the middle of the night? They're expensive, so I'm thinking maybe just one will be fine?... Do you guys put another waterproof flannel pad or something over the mattress pad and just wash that when it gets wet? If so, where can I find one that's big enough to cover a queen-sized mattress? (I guess I could get a few crib-sized waterproof pads and line them up over the mattress, right?)

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

WatchingThemGrow
08-29-2010, 04:30 PM
We got two, both from Kohls at 50% off (maybe Jan?) then with a 30%off cardmember code af friend had. We keep one on hand to switch it out. We also use our leftover Ultimate crib sheets underneath the top sheet, just to make any changes that much easier.

lorinick
08-29-2010, 07:18 PM
I think so.

Uno-Mom
08-29-2010, 11:01 PM
I'd do whatever you did for his crib.

We got 2 crib mattress pads and it was a total waste for us. Never even used the 2nd one. DD hardly ever leaks, I guess.

WatchingThemGrow
08-29-2010, 11:04 PM
But one episode of throwup in the bed means it has paid for itself. They're in a big bed a LOT longer than the crib.

DebbieJ
08-29-2010, 11:09 PM
We have 2 for DS1's twin bed. Got them at IKEA for a great price.

doberbrat
09-01-2010, 07:46 AM
ikea ones are great and reasonable - i have 2 fot MY bed.

for dd1 we make as follows cheap plastic protector, bottom sheet, ikea protector, bottom sheet (then top sheet, blanket)

middle of the night accident? whip off top 'set' of sheets and back in bed

for us its not pee accidents i worry about but puking

pastrygirl
09-01-2010, 08:44 AM
We have an extra one for my son's (twin) bed. But, if he was in a queen bed, we'd just have three -- one for our bed, one for his, and one extra. I wouldn't have an extra for each bed.

I really like the Land's End waterproof mattress pads. They don't crinkle at all.

KrisM
09-01-2010, 08:50 AM
We only have one. If something happens in the middle of the night, they end up in our bed, which also has a waterproof pad. So far, we've never gone through 2 in a night :).

MommyAllison
09-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Definitely two. As PP said, the first time they have stomach flu start at midnight, it will pay for itself!

Ladybug47
09-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Kohl's is having a "buy one get one free" sale on mattress pads, so I ended up getting two. I figure if I don't need to use the second one right away for my son, I can always put it on my bed around the time that my water might break. :)

Thank you for all the great advice! 'Feels good to be prepared.

daniele_ut
09-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I have 4 total (2 for each child's bed). We've had nights where we've gone through ALL of them when one or both of the kids is sick.

longtallsally05
10-16-2010, 04:12 PM
We have two, b/c if there has been an accident in the night, I don't want to just put a sheet over DD's $$$ mattress. Who knows? Lightning could strike twice in one night. For DS's crib, I layer the mattress protector, crib sheet, waterproof pad, another crib sheet. I can't stand the thought of pee on a mattress.

salsah
10-16-2010, 06:02 PM
definitely two! i make the bed with two (and two sheets, alternating between protector and sheet) so that if there is an accident in the middle of the night, i take off the dirty sheet and protector to reveal a clean sheet over a protector. the clean ones are there and ready to go so we can all get to back to sleep much faster.