PDA

View Full Version : Never been to Hawaii before

kijip
08-30-2010, 02:56 AM
taking two kids sometime this winter. Kids will be 7 and 2. Suggestions on where and when to go? We are more beach/outdoors/science types than activity types. By winter I mean Jan or Feb 2011. I can't leave work after November through the end of the year (fundraising high season) and we have other plans for Spring 2011. Frankly, I am thinking 1 and 1/2 to 2 weeks off right after the busy work season is ideal, so January is most likely. Since T is home-schooling, no need to work around the school schedule.

Thanks in advance.

elektra
08-30-2010, 03:15 AM
Crap, I just posted a really long post about Kauai that disappeared. :( I should have waited until I could actually think straight in the morning.
Anyway, we love Kauai and I think it might be right up your alley with the preference for beach/outdoors vs. activities, although there are hosted tours that you can do too.
If you decide to go that route, feel free to PM me for stuff to do, and for off-the-map plate lunch places. :)
Jan or Feb would be equally great times to go.

citymama
08-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Another vote for Kauai. However - what we love most about Kauai is the north shore - the lush, verdant, chilled out north shore. Which is the site of 12 foot waves and high surf in the winter months, and so may not be the best place to go at that time of year.

For science-y interests, the Big Island is wonderful too. You can get plenty of beach time on the western side of the island, and then head to Volcanoes National Park in the southeast to see a live volcano in action. The Big Island is much more diverse in terms of what you can do. They're both so different, as Kauai is small and uber laid-back (at least the north is) whereas the Big Island sees much more tourism traffic, but is also really beautiful and has lots of interesting things to see from an ecological/geological perspective.

WatchingThemGrow
08-30-2010, 07:25 AM
ooh could T do Haleakala - a long bike ride? Getting out along the way to Hana was pretty neat IMO. We *loved* the waterways running through the lush forest, just on the side of the road. I only know parts of Maui and Kauai.

Tondi G
08-30-2010, 01:58 PM
isn't feb whale watching time in Maui? I think there is a lot more to do with kids in Maui than there is in Kauai. Kauai is fantastic for hiking to waterfalls etc but it is a sleepier island than Maui. The Big Island has a lot to offer too. My boys all really want to see the volcano up close.