PDA

View Full Version : Stocking up on Diapers

minandjam
08-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Hi Everyone-

I have been banned from buying anymore clothing for our new little one so I have been thinking about stocking up on diapers and wipes. I was thinking about starting out buying sizes 2 and larger since the baby won't be in newborn and size 1s for a long time.....so i figure every time I get paid maybe pickup a pack of diapers or when I see a really good sale to grab some diapers since I'm going to be going through soooooo many.
Anyway my main question is what do I buy???? I'm just nervous that the baby will be allergic to the diapers.....or do I just buy a lot of different brands? I have also been playing around with the cloth diapers, which would be a whole other story.....so any experience/thought/comments on the allergy thing to diapers and/or wipes would be appreciated.....
We are due in March so stocking up startin now and I could buy a lot of diapers and wipes before the baby is here....would help out financially.
THANKS!!!!

HonoluluMom
08-31-2010, 02:36 AM
I wouldn't stock up on diapers. I would buy several different brands of newborn or size 1 diapers which will allow you to figure out what diapers work best for your little one.

FWIW, I absolutely loved Pampers Swaddlers with the indicator line. Also, I have used Pampers Sensitive wipes since DD was born.

swissair81
08-31-2010, 02:39 AM
I wouldn't assume how quickly you will be out of a certain size. DD came home from the hospital weighing 5 lbs 7 oz. It will be quite a while before I need size 1 or 2.

citymama
08-31-2010, 03:05 AM
Don't stock up on diapers! First, you can usually leave the hospital with a good supply of NB diapers. Second, if you're on any neighborhood or regional parents listserve, people are always giving away or selling cheaply sz NB-2 diapers because people tend to overbuy and babies tend to outgrow! Both my DD's did well with Pampers Swaddlers (we did Sensitive with DD2 because of this whole DryMax issue) but other kids do well with other kinds.

I know it's hard to be patient when you are dying to be well-prepared, but this is one area where I would hold off.

For example, right now, amazon.com is having a mega bumper diaper sale (through a subscription program; the additional discount expires Aug 31). If I had stocked up before DD2 was born, I wouldn't have done as well as this sale.

Things you can buy a few of ahead of time: wipes (although you never know what kind your kid will do well with or be sensitive to), nursing pads (if you want to BF), diaper pail liners (if you know what kind you're going to get), diaper cream (again, depends on the child).

MoJo
08-31-2010, 04:05 AM
Another vote not to stock up on diapers or wipes. I had a pack of NB and a pack of size 1 and that was good. Every child is different, and you don't know what will work best until baby is here.

I also agree with not buying outfits; we received over 100 as gifts for our first baby.

I'd recommend putting aside some money from each paycheck for baby. Then, you have it & can spend it on whatever you need most once you know what that is. I know that's not as fun now, but it is the most practical.

WatchingThemGrow
08-31-2010, 06:18 AM
There will be sales and cute things when your baby arrives, plus stuff others will give you. Just save the $ and save up for something else. I know the temptation is hard.

Kestrel
08-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Another opinion of no, don't stock up on diapers. Certain brands are cut differently, and you don't know if your baby's going to be chubby, lanky, small or big... My baby couldn't wear huggies at first, their leg holes were too big, we ended up in pampers swaddlers. Now, he can only wear huggies!

If the finacial part is bothering you, you could do what we did - we had a "diaper jar". We put $30 per paycheck in the jar, then, once we knew what we'd need, we used that money to buy the prefered brand. Our jar money lasted us for nearly a year!

llama8
08-31-2010, 08:44 PM
I may be in the minority, but I was so glad that I stocked up on diapers. When I could combine coupons with awesome sale prices, I bought size 1 and 2 of all different brands. (Pampers, variety of Huggies, Luvs, Fisher-Price, etc.)

My DD was 9 lbs at birth so I was very glad I didn't buy newborn. I had hundreds of diapers and went through all of them and had to buy more. I found brands that I liked better than others and some diapers were better during the day than night. There was no brand I hated or my DD had a bad reaction to.

My DD is now 9 months and in size 3..and I think she will be in 3 for a while.

I would stock up again when we have our second child (but I wouldn't stock up on newborn sizes. I am very glad I only bought 1 newborn pack and was able to squeeze DD in them for a few days until I finished the pack)

minandjam
08-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Thank you everyone for responding. I really like the Diaper Jar idea that way it helps to save the money. I was just reading a post from another website and everyone on there was saying that they were stocking up and I thought maybe I should too......but I was so worried about buying things that I didn't want/need or couldn't use. Soooooo I will just hold off and save the money in the diaper jar!

mskitty
09-01-2010, 01:36 AM
The diaper jar is an excellent idea since your due date is quite awhile yet. Who knows what kind will work and how long they will last in a size.

My MIL bought a package of diapers a week for the last two months of my pregnancy. If they needed to be returned, it was close enough to do a return or exchange. Most stores will do exchanges for a different size with a receipt. I think I ended up exchanging or returning all 6 packages of newborn diapers she had bought for us because we went to size 1 almost immediately.

My goal is to a buy diapers at least 50% off. Decent diaper sales happen at least once a month and fabulous diaper sales happen 2 or 3 times a year so its not like you have to have that big of a stockpile. I bought a ton of diapers when CVS reset their displays a few months ago (waited until they went 75% off and used a coupon too). I normally try to keep at least 6 packages of diapers in the house to get me to the next sale. Right now I probably have at least 15 due to the CVS clearance and $8 Huggies boxes at the grocery store a few weeks ago. I won't buy any more for several months (or until the next fab deal I can't resist). I prefer Huggies for overnight but will send almost anything to daycare where they change diapers practically every hour on the hour (so cheap is awesome).

mskitty