PDA

View Full Version : ? About Front Loader and Powder

almostamom
08-31-2010, 02:51 PM
I want to start adding 20 Mule Team Borax to my laundry again. I used it when I had a top loader, but I stopped using it when we got the front loader two years ago. I think we need it again. We have very hard water. How, when, and where do I add it? I'm reading a lot of mixed information - no powders ever in a front loader (mine has a spot designated for powder detergent), only in the rinse cycle (do I stand there and wait for it?), mix with hot water and use in place of softener/vinegar, etc. Does anyone here use it with their front loader?

TIA,

Linda

boltfam
08-31-2010, 04:28 PM
I have not used it yet but am hoping to start. I have heard of some people sprinkling it into the tub beforehand but am not sure if that is what you are supposed to do or not. I'll be watching this thread, too.

Claki
08-31-2010, 05:34 PM
The directions on my front loader say to put the powder directly into the basin, not into the dispensers.

boltfam
09-06-2010, 03:16 PM
I have not used it yet but am hoping to start. I have heard of some people sprinkling it into the tub beforehand but am not sure if that is what you are supposed to do or not. I'll be watching this thread, too.

ETA: I just read in my owner's manual that laundry enhancers can be added to my detergent dispenser and it says my detergent dispenser can accept liquid or powder detergent. However, it also says not to mix detergent. Well, how will that work?

I would read your owner's manual, and hopefully it will be less confusing than my owner's manual.

wellyes
09-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I put oxyclean in the basin and powder detergent (if I have it) in the dispenser.

almostamom
09-06-2010, 04:08 PM
I have not found a clear answer for this. My washer also has a set spot for powder detergent, but it would have to be instead of the liquid. My owner's manual has been zero help!

I've been mixing 1/4 cup of Borax with about cup of hot water and stirring it. It doesn't completely dissolve, but then I put it in the washer before I add the clothes. It's definitely helped with the odor that was in DH's clothes. I haven't seen any residual on the clothes. I am worried about the powder clogging things in the washer though.

Am I the only person who regrets purchasing a front loader?

Linda

boltfam
09-07-2010, 08:23 AM
I

Am I the only person who regrets purchasing a front loader?

Linda
nope! I e-mailed GE and am waiting for an answer about where I should add powder laundry enhancers. My owner's manual is oh so helpful in telling me how to get rid of the odor in the basin...wipe it dry and keep the door open. Wow! You think?! Thanks for all the help! :rolleye0014:Obviously, if I'm consulting my owner's manual, I'm beyond that point. What do I do when it REEKS?

maestramommy
09-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Um, I use Charlie's Laundry powder with my front loader. Have for almost 2 years. I also use Arm and Hammer powder detergent for the really smelly loads. Never had a problem.

We have hard water too, and liquid just doesn't rinse out well.

clb
09-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Never used powder detergent, but have a suggestion for the smell.

boltfam- We started to use affresh tablets to clean it. If it smells already, the directions says to run three cycles in a row with one tablet per cycle. After I ran it, the mildew wiped off. Not sure that it will help mold. My machine was started to smell and this helped.

I agree it is a pain to clean it out the door gasket. I do wish my machine had a cleaning cycle on it but it is 8 yrs old. Next time, I know.

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-front+loader+cleaning+tablets-%3d%3dc14i1373065&PartID=1373065

secchick
09-07-2010, 09:10 AM
This is why I got an HE no agitator top loader (well, that and I was freaked out about that story about the child who drowned when her toddler brother closed te door and started it with her in the washer).

For the smell issue, is there a reason you can't run a few loads with vinegar in it (either directly with the clothes or in the detergent dispenser) or just do a couple empty cycles with vinegar and hot water? That's what I would try.

boltfam
09-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Never used powder detergent, but have a suggestion for the smell.

boltfam- We started to use affresh tablets to clean it. If it smells already, the directions says to run three cycles in a row with one tablet per cycle. After I ran it, the mildew wiped off. Not sure that it will help mold. My machine was started to smell and this helped.

I agree it is a pain to clean it out the door gasket. I do wish my machine had a cleaning cycle on it but it is 8 yrs old. Next time, I know.

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-front+loader+cleaning+tablets-%3d%3dc14i1373065&PartID=1373065

I'll have to try the Affresh tablets to clean it. Where do you find those? It looks like I might have to try Charlie's Soap. I've also never tried powedered detergent, but we have very hard water, so maybe the liquid detergent is part of my problem. I've already tried vinegar and baking soda (not together), and it's helped but hasn't eliminated the smell. Sorry to OP for hijacking your thread.

BayGirl2
09-07-2010, 11:20 PM
My Front Loader has a section to add Oxiclean or similar powders in addition to the detergent section. I assume Borax would go there.

almostamom
09-07-2010, 11:55 PM
My Front Loader has a section to add Oxiclean or similar powders in addition to the detergent section. I assume Borax would go there.

Amy, could you add powder and liquid simultaneously? There is a piece that I have to move in mine that makes me think I can only do powder or liquid. I suppose I could switch to a powder and combine the borax with that. II'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer.

Linda

BayGirl2
09-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Amy, could you add powder and liquid simultaneously? There is a piece that I have to move in mine that makes me think I can only do powder or liquid. I suppose I could switch to a powder and combine the borax with that. II'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer.

Linda

Yes. My washer has 4 sections - one for bleach, one for detergent (liquid or powder, with a piece to move), one for fabric softener (IIRC) and one for Oxiclean. It has an oxiclean cycle too, so that's probably why there's a special section.

I'd see what the manufacturer says, but probably mixing Borax with powder would be best. I've actually never used Borax, does it work well?

almostamom
09-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Yes. My washer has 4 sections - one for bleach, one for detergent (liquid or powder, with a piece to move), one for fabric softener (IIRC) and one for Oxiclean. It has an oxiclean cycle too, so that's probably why there's a special section.

I'd see what the manufacturer says, but probably mixing Borax with powder would be best. I've actually never used Borax, does it work well?

I always used Borax when we used cloth diapers. I've been using it for the past week and I notice a big difference in DH's clothes. They don't smell "funky" anymore. I just don't want to ruin my washer while trying to get rid of the smell.

Linda

boltfam
09-08-2010, 04:10 PM

I think it is okay to mix Borax with powder...just not liquid. Hope you hear from the mfg. soon. I'm waiting to hear back from GE again to see they say about where to put Borax. GL!

boltfam
09-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Just heard back from the mfg. I am supposed to add powder directly to the tub.

MissyAg94
09-09-2010, 10:29 AM
My Maytag manual recommends using powder detergent for all but the gentle cycle to help prevent odor.