PDA

View Full Version : Can 11 month old eat muffins?

PMJ
08-31-2010, 07:01 PM
I've got these RIPE bananas and am wondering if I can use them to make some banana (w/ veges in there!!) - muffins for DD. She is about 10.5 months old.

I was planning on doing 1/2 whole wheat flour and sub. some applesauce (1/2 ) for the oil as well. There was a good muffin thread on here a bit ago, and I wanted to try something out.

What do you guys think?
I'm worried about the eggs in the recipe.

Also, if you have any recipes w/ bananas and veges, please share !

thanks

SnuggleBuggles
08-31-2010, 07:37 PM
My ds was eating eggs by then and lots of food containing eggs. Muffins made with eggs would have been fine for us.

Beth

elektra
08-31-2010, 07:41 PM
If you are making them yourself, then sure. I wouldn't worry about the egg personally.

I have worried about nuts in muffins for my little ones though, so I held off on store bought muffins for awhile, since there are often nuts in them.
DS eats nuts now though. I didn't end up waiting as long to try them out as I did with DD.

YouAreTheFocus
08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
My baby is the same age as yours, he eats scrambled eggs no problem. He has also gnawed on sourdough bread, cornbread, pizza crust when we've been out, so no problems w/ baked goods, either.

JBaxter
08-31-2010, 08:23 PM
we were doing all table food by 11 months. So yes we did

kijip
08-31-2010, 08:43 PM
We do muffins (carrot and other) a lot. Our younger son has been eating them since about 9-10 months. At 10-11 months, we started giving him scrambled eggs and man, does he love the eggs. I would not worry about it unless you have reason to be concerned about genetic food reactions and allergies.

peanut520
08-31-2010, 10:22 PM
:thumbsup:sure why not especially if you are making them. i would even skip the applesauce unless you normally have them like that. our ped wanted dd on regular food (cut up and cooked to an appropiate tenderness) by 12 mo. (dd got her first tooth at 12 months). the new aap stance that withholding certain foods (eggs/pb) does not prevent potential allerrgies. http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/pages/Switching-To-Solid-Foods.aspx i actually read last week that they are studying the potential of delaying the allergens causing more severe reactions.

DrSally
08-31-2010, 10:24 PM
IF you're worried about the eggs, there's a receipe floating around here for "applesauce cake". I made it for several years while DS was allergic to milk and eggs. I added bananas and got a lot of compliments on it from nonallergic people. You could make that into muffins.

MamaMolly
09-01-2010, 01:02 AM
If you want to avoid eggs you can use 1 TB of ground flaxseed to replace 1 egg. Good for up to 3 eggs, IIRC.

Vegan (eggless) Banana Muffin recipe: (Joy of Vegan baking)

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar (this seems crazy high to me. I'd cut it in half, at least, personally!)
1/3 cup canola oil
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
(here you can add nuts or chocolate chips, a cup of each if you want but I certainly wouldn't do that with a little one your DC's age. :))

Preheat oven to 350. Mix the flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl beat the sugar and oil together, then add the bananas. Stir in the water and vanilla extract, add the flour mixture. Fill each muffin cup halfway with batter, bake for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted int he center comes out clean.