PDA

View Full Version : stopping bottle

llama8
08-31-2010, 08:58 PM
I was wondering when is the correct age/recommended age to stop giving a child a bottle to drink from.

My DD is 9 months and she is on formula. I noticed she is starting to invert her level 2 nipples. I may need to go to Level 3, but I am not sure it is worth the expense to purchase new nipples. (I may try to manually make the nipple hole bigger) I just don't know if it is worth it.

She does drink water from a sippy cup, but I never tried giving her formula in the cup. (I use the Playtex spill free)

My mom thinks 1.5 years old is a good age to wean from the bottle, but I heard that some people do it earlier.

She only has 1 tooth on the bottom with no sign of another one coming in anytime soon so a sippy cup may be hard for her to use full time as babies many times use their teeth to coax out the liquid when they suck.

Dr C
08-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Conventional wisdom is to wean to a sippy cup at 12 months. Obviously some kids are ready earlier, some later. Dentists actually recommend weaning to a straw cup (or to a regular cup but then you have the obvious spill issues) and skipping the sippy because kids pretty much treat it like a bottle (once they figure out how to get the liquid out). We found that out the hard way with DS, and essentially had to wean him twice. You don't need teeth to drink from a sippy. DD (10 months) manages fine with the Nuby straw cups that require you to bite the straw to get liquid out, and she has just 2 bottom teeth plus one emerging fang on the side on top.
If it were me, I would not buy new nipples. Instead I'd spend the money on sippys or straw cups. Another alternative... Nuby makes sippy cup nipples that fit in standard neck bottle rings. Our Babies R Us has them, and they're cheap.

billyy2288
09-03-2010, 10:00 PM
I was wondering when is the correct age/recommended age to stop giving a child a bottle to drink from.

My DD is 9 months and she is on formula. I noticed she is starting to invert her level 2 nipples. I may need to go to Level 3, but I am not sure it is worth the expense to purchase new nipples. (I may try to manually make the nipple hole bigger) I just don't know if it is worth it.

She does drink water from a sippy cup, but I never tried giving her formula in the cup. (I use the Playtex spill free)

My mom thinks 1.5 years old is a good age to wean from the bottle, but I heard that some people do it earlier.

She only has 1 tooth on the bottom with no sign of another one coming in anytime soon so a sippy cup may be hard for her to use full time as babies many times use their teeth to coax out the liquid when they suck.

Thanks you for the post.