PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC

rebwal98
09-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I promised my DD that I'd take her to DC during her Spring Break next year. Since it coincides with cherry blossom season, I thought I'd better look into hotels now.

I'm hoping to take the train (we're in NJ), since public transportation is ideal down there. I'll be traveling with a 10 year old and 18 month old. I'd like to find something close to the Mall that offers a fridge and microwave in the room. I'm on a tight budget, so money is definitely a factor, but so is safety.

Any hotel recommendations are greatly appreciated!!!

Rebekah

SnuggleBuggles
09-01-2010, 12:34 PM
I find that taking the Metro around, even if you stay really close to the Mall, is almost a must. At that point I personally don't mind staying in Arlington to save $$. I've stayed in town a few times but never thought that the convenience was any better. My hotel pick is the Hilton Garden Inn at the Courthouse part of Arlington. Super safe as you are one block from the very well lit, always well staffed, courthouse and police station. There are restaurants in walking distance as well as a movie theater, farmers' market (seasonally, on weekends maybe midweek too), and the Metro. The website says that they have a fridge and microwave. It's a quiet, easy hotel.
http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=DCAARGI

HTH,
Beth

Smillow
09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
We have stayed at the Residence Inn on C St SE. South of the mall, a few blocks below the Museam of the American Indian. It is in walking distance to the metro & has rooms with a queen bed, foldout couch & kitchen with fridge, oven, micro, dishwasher & has dishes, pots, etc. The room also includes a full hot breakfast buffet (including a make you own waffle station). We got the room through Priceline last year & the included breakfast for 3 really made it quite a bargain! There aren't any restaurants close by, there is a Starbucks a few blocks away but it is in a more officy area.

lowrioh
09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
We have stayed at the Residence Inn on C St SE. South of the mall, a few blocks below the Museam of the American Indian. It is in walking distance to the metro & has rooms with a queen bed, foldout couch & kitchen with fridge, oven, micro, dishwasher & has dishes, pots, etc. The room also includes a full hot breakfast buffet (including a make you own waffle station). We got the room through Priceline last year & the included breakfast for 3 really made it quite a bargain! There aren't any restaurants close by, there is a Starbucks a few blocks away but it is in a more officy area.

If you stay at this hotel you can go to the cafeteria in the Ford House Office Building on C street for coffee and lunch during the week. It requires a trip through the metal detector but the food is pretty good and super cheap for that part of town. I used to work right down there and we went all the time. You never know who you might see in the bagel line ;)

citymama
09-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Do yourself a favor and stay in the District not some suburban hotel. A place where you can walk out to dinner and fun stuff during the spring evening. I always recommend the Woodley Park hotels (nr the zoo and Adams Morgan/Dupont). The Omni Shoreham and Woodley Park Marriott are two options. They have discounted "neighborhood" rates - say you are visiting a friend in Adams Morgan, zip code 20009 (PM me if you need an address to complete your booking). It's on the red line metro.

rebwal98
09-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Do yourself a favor and stay in the District not some suburban hotel. A place where you can walk out to dinner and fun stuff during the spring evening. I always recommend the Woodley Park hotels (nr the zoo and Adams Morgan/Dupont). The Omni Shoreham and Woodley Park Marriott are two options. They have discounted "neighborhood" rates - say you are visiting a friend in Adams Morgan, zip code 20009 (PM me if you need an address to complete your booking). It's on the red line metro.

Many thanks - if I need to PM you I will!

Rebekah