PDA

View Full Version : Steel-cut oatmeal, in a rice cooker or crock pot?

Kestrel
09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I overheard in passing someone mention that they cooked steel-cut oatmeal in a crock pot or rice cooker. I thnk that this would be a geat idea, but where to start?

Has anyone ever tried it? Hints, please!

larig
09-01-2010, 06:17 PM
I do steel cut oats in a fuzzy logic rice cooker. It's awesome. 1.75 cups milk to 2/3 cup oats, splash of vanilla and set on porridge cycle.
ETA: it is the only way I cook oatmeal anymore.

pb&j
09-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Another one for steel cut oats in the rice cooker. My cooker has a porridge setting and porridge marks on the bowl. I cook with water, b/c I put them in at night before we go to bed and put it on the timer so they'll be ready when we wake up. I always use a pinch of salt and some cinnamon and maybe some vanilla. Butter or cream, and maple syrup or brown sugar plus whatever add-ins we've got around (dried fruit, nuts, etc). Yum!

Pepper
09-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Me, too! I have a Cuckoo rice cooker (fuzzy logic, pressure cooker option, and some other things that i don't reallyunderstand yet). I looked around on the web and settled on a recipe that's identical to the one I use when I do steel-cut oats in the double boiler overnight: one cup of oats, three cups of water, a pinch of salt. Run the rice cooker on the porridge setting. In the morning, I scoop it out into bowls and add maple sytrup, cream etc to each serving.

My rice cooker has a keep-warm function that is soo great - I can give the kids their oatmeal when they get up at 6, and eat mine later after everyone else is set for the morning.

larig
09-01-2010, 10:59 PM
the recipe I posted is based on a recipe in
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=rice+cooker+cookbook&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1092301141501159181&ei=AxN_TMSJA4--sAOh6rT1Cg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDwQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers