PDA

View Full Version : help! transitioning to aluminum free deodorant and I STINK!!!

boogiemomz
09-01-2010, 07:12 PM
So, I had resolved that my aluminum-laden toxic deodorant was just something I would have to live with. But for the last few months, (sorry, this is gross and TMI), I would get the nastiest gunk in my razor when I went to shave under my arms. Even after scrubbing the skin with an exfoliating puff, this gunk would lodge between the blades of my gilette venus razor and clog it up, until the grimy blades were just gliding across my skin without razor-ing off anything. I even brought a new toothbrush into the shower to try and clean out the blades, and the toothbrush got all gunky and disgusting. The stuff I managed to get off was all pasty and gross. It doesn't happen on my legs, so I figure it has to be my deodorant. It just started happening when I moved this summer from the mid-west to the southeast, and I remember it happening before when I lived here years ago. Very hot and humid climate here, don't know if that made a difference. (Has this ever happened to anyone else? I would really love to know that I'm not a freak who is secreting pasty gunk from my arm pits. :praying:)

Anyway, I reached my breaking point. I can't keep putting all that goop on, and therefore in, my body. And I would love to re-claim a cleaner and more satisfying pit-shaving experience. I ordered a couple of natural deodorants to try. This morning it was the Alba botanical parraben-free. It smells nice (on the stick) and the ingredients look great. But boy oh boy do I S.T.I.N.K. right now. I think I smell worse than I would have if I had just gone without anything.

I know there was a thread a while back about different natural deodorant alternatives, but I'm curious about this transition period. Someone on one of those threads (brittone, IIRC) mentioned that there may be a funky adjustment period where the pores are getting used to not being plugged with aluminum. Just wondering if anyone else endured the funky-ness and got to where the natural stuff was working better. Will I need to try a bunch of different things, or is it mostly just a matter of waiting out the stink? Can I do this???

noodle
09-01-2010, 07:28 PM
My first attempt at a "natural" deodorant was not successful (I think it was a Tom's of Maine product) and I just.could.not. make it through the transition period. But my second try was less traumatic, and now I'm happy and pleasant-smelling.:loveeyes: This (http://bubbleandbee.com/deodorantdetox.html) helped me.

You can do it! Good luck!

brittone2
09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
What I would do is use witchhazel on a cotton ball or paper towel under your arms every few hours as you transition. It will help kill off the bacteria. THen follow with reapplying your deodorant. If you work out of the home, I think you could premoisten some makeup rounds with witch hazel and keep in a ziplock or maybe even use something like Tucks (I think those have witch hazel?).

Coconut oil works too . Let it dry well so you don't wreck your shirts though.

I'd go with those *and* whatever non aluminum deodorant you are using (I like Nature's Gate clary sage and lemongrass (something like that?) and the crystal spray. Check the bacteria via some means, and then use the deodorant of choice afterward.

Any chance you have yeast growing in there from the hot/humid weather? I never had gunk but I was wondering if you might have yeast.

boogiemomz
09-01-2010, 08:13 PM
:thanks:Thanks for the link and the ideas. I have some tucks pads left over from after I had DD (midwife prescribed them... very soothing for child-birthing parts!!), so I'll try that.

Would I not have any more symptoms if it were yeast? I haven't had any itching or redness or anything.

brittone2
09-01-2010, 08:22 PM
:thanks:Thanks for the link and the ideas. I have some tucks pads left over from after I had DD (midwife prescribed them... very soothing for child-birthing parts!!), so I'll try that.

Would I not have any more symptoms if it were yeast? I haven't had any itching or redness or anything.

Yeah, I think you'd have other symptoms. TMI but DH had a yeasty problem when he tried to cut out aluminum antiperspirant a few years back, so it came to mind. He got kind of peely and felt a burning sensation.

boogiemomz
09-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Huh, interesting. So did he go back to aluminum? It seems like it's much easier to find men's deodorants without aluminum (they're not antiperspirants). DH uses Old Spice and it's just a deodorant, not antiperspirant, and has no aluminum. Why is this such an alternative thing for women? weird. Yeah, it seems like just the deodorant residue gunking up my razor. When I first noticed it and tried to wipe it off with my finger, it just sort of spread out on my fingers, I imagine like it would if you just scraped a bit of deodorant off your stick and rubbed it between your fingers, only it's this grayish color. Now I try not to touch it! So, SO gross!! :barf:

brittone2
09-01-2010, 09:28 PM
He did. We were living in hot, humid NC though which didn't help. He might be able to swing it where we are living now (in the Northeast).

At least with guys, they have hair and don't shave, kwim? So I think they kind of end up with less in their system than we do as women...at least, that's what I'd like to believe ;)

essnce629
09-02-2010, 02:11 AM
I've tried several natural deodarents and the ONLY one that works is the Crystal Body deodarent. I would have never tried it on my own, but the reviews were excellent and I found it at CVS on sale one day so I decided to try it. I'm no longer using my beloved Secret!

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp41032_333181_sespider/crystal/body_deodorant_stick.htm

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-02-2010, 02:17 AM
I think it is a body chemistry thing. Some things don't work for others. We have a local natural body shop making one as we speak. She just got listed on Skindeep.com 0-2 ratings,so safe. I will let you guys know if it works!

Babymakes3
09-02-2010, 09:24 AM
I live in FL so obviously I need a good working deodorant. I was using Secret with the yummy scents but it was leaving all that residue behind that you talked about, it's very gross! I finally gave that up and bought Secret Clinical, it's fantastic. Leaves no residue and just keeps on workin'! I read the package today though and it does contain aluminum. :(