PDA

View Full Version : Snack ideas for DH?

WatchingThemGrow
09-01-2010, 10:06 PM
He overeats at breakfast and lunch b/c he eats so little during the day. The only snack he can think of is a granola bar, which he just stopped taking to work one day. We need some filling ideas.

Twoboos
09-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Nuts/trail mix? Trader Joe's has prepackaged individual servings of almonds. not sure if they have other indiv nuts but they might.

ETA - of course, if you do nuts in your house. This is DH's go-to snack.

WatchingThemGrow
09-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Nuts/trail mix? Trader Joe's has prepackaged individual servings of almonds. not sure if they have other indiv nuts but they might.

LOL - I have some of these. Need to put them IN his bag and see if he eats them.

DrSally
09-01-2010, 10:52 PM
When I used to pack DH's lunch, I'd do a baggie of mini carrots (he likes to crunch), unsalted almonds from TJ's (I put mine into snack baggies from a big bag), a banana. He'd eat one of the items mid-morning and one on the way home from work. Other ideas--snapcrisp peas, kashi cereal bars, cashew crunch. We don't do nuts around here, so if DH eats them now, it's on the road.

jenrub
09-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I too put mini carrots and banana in DH's backpack for snacks. I usually have him bring lots of fruits that are in season---lately it's been peeled oranges, cut-up watermelon and/or cantaloupe. Since he likes not too healthy snacks at times, he would ask for chips like Doritos or Cheetos. I also pack cookies &/or slice of cake which I make on the weekends. For today, he has a banana, orange, tiramisu, and 2 cookies. That way, he gets a variety.

BabyBearsMom
09-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Wow! Everyone is so nice to pack their DH's lunches! I'm a mean wife and make him pack his own, but I have seen him pack it and he likes baby carrots with hummus (I get little individual hummus packets at Costco or he can put it into a little tupperwear container). He also likes the little packages of peanut butter (if you do nuts) with apple slice. I also buy baked chips or sun chips, so he can have his salt without all the guilt. He eats a lot of fruit, granola bars too. If he did the grocery shopping, I would bet he would bring Oreo cookies every day though.

fauve01
09-02-2010, 04:30 PM
My DH takes a hard boiled egg with him to eat for breakfast when he arrives, or sometimes a TJ soft cereal breakfast bar (like a nutri grain bar).

for a morning snack he likes a cheese stick.

after lunch his afternoon snack is a bag of nuts. I buy the individually wrapped snack nuts at costco--peanuts, cashews, almonds.

WatchingThemGrow
09-02-2010, 04:38 PM
great ideas, mamas! DH packs his own pb&j's. All I have to do is have the stuff available and list what there is, I think. He just doesn't open the fridge or the cabinet and look to see what we have. He is THE healthiest eater, just by choice/habit. He inhales bananas, apples, carrots at the speed of lightning. I can't buy them fast enough. He won't take them to work, though, because they may get messy. Well, he does apples sometimes...

I don't want to do indiv. packaged stuff, but I'm not going to spend any time packing little bags either. Maybe he'll search this thread on tapatalk and make his own shopping list on the ipod.

wendibird22
09-02-2010, 04:42 PM
DH packs his own lunch and usually grabs a yogurt, almonds, or a granola bar for a mid morning snack.

DrSally
09-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Wow! Everyone is so nice to pack their DH's lunches! I'm a mean wife and make him pack his own, but I have seen him pack it and he likes baby carrots with hummus (I get little individual hummus packets at Costco or he can put it into a little tupperwear container). He also likes the little packages of peanut butter (if you do nuts) with apple slice. I also buy baked chips or sun chips, so he can have his salt without all the guilt. He eats a lot of fruit, granola bars too. If he did the grocery shopping, I would bet he would bring Oreo cookies every day though.

If I didn't do it (when DH worked in town), DH *would not* pack his own lunch. I'm impressed that some DH's here will actually pack their own. He'd eat a cra#py $6 entree at the cafeteria or BK. This way, at least I was keeping costs down and ensuring healthier eating. For the individual portions, I'd do a week's worth at one time into little baggies, so I could just grab and thow in his lunch bag. Think of how expensive it is to buy out of the vending machine compared to bringing something from home. I couldn't stomach that wasted money cumulating 5 days a week.

jenrub
09-03-2010, 12:24 PM
:yeahthat::yeahthat:
If I didn't do it (when DH worked in town), DH *would not* pack his own lunch. I'm impressed that some DH's here will actually pack their own. He'd eat a cra#py $6 entree at the cafeteria or BK. This way, at least I was keeping costs down and ensuring healthier eating. For the individual portions, I'd do a week's worth at one time into little baggies, so I could just grab and thow in his lunch bag. Think of how expensive it is to buy out of the vending machine compared to bringing something from home. I couldn't stomach that wasted money cumulating 5 days a week.

Twoboos
09-03-2010, 12:40 PM

I can't even Yah-That this, because even if I did pack DH a lunch, no way would he eat it. He has maybe taken lunch to work once in the 15 years I've known him, and he hated it.

And he likes to eat out at restaurants. To "save money" he will eat in the caf. It's just his thing. We've had many discussions about it and it's a battle I don't fight anymore. Health-wise, money-wise, oh well! :shrug: