PDA

View Full Version : How long did you use a nursing pillow?

citymama
09-03-2010, 01:36 PM
This is the weirdest thing. With DD1, I used a nursing pillow from the day we got back from the hospital till probably a year old. (I don't actually remember, but I'm pretty sure we used it for a long time.)

With DD2, I went out and bought a new pillow coz the old one was so beat up - another MBF, which I loved the first time and gave as my standard shower gift. But I've never used it, not once! DD2 is
almost 4 months old, and I just hold her in my arms when I nurse her. As she's getting heavier, it feels like a pillow would be a good idea to save my poor arms and neck, but the hassle of getting the pillow on, strapping it on, and then having to jut out forward while nursing feel more complicated than necessary. It's just bizarre to me because with baby #1 I loved and depended on the pillow so much I even travelled with it, but with #2 I haven't
ever used it!

Does a nursing pillow become more or less necessary as they get older? Does a 6 month old hold herself up when nursing or depend on you to do all the holding? How about an 8 or 10 month old? Trying to figure out whether to hang on to these nursing pillows or get rid of them! We have a tiny place and they're definitely taking up space. But if they're going to save my neck and arms from being too strained, I might want to hang on to them for later.

Let me know how long you used yours and what you would advise - thank you!

BabyBearsMom
09-03-2010, 01:42 PM
DD is almost 5 months old. At first, I used the nursing pillow (a boppy) at every feeding. Now, I really only use it when I am feeding her in bed. If I am in a chair, I kind of rest my arms on the chair arms and use them for support. Also, now, DD likes to eat kind of sitting up on my lap, rather than laying in my arms, if that makes sense. I just support her back so she doesn't topple over.

BabbyO
09-03-2010, 03:22 PM
I had a love/hate relationship with my nursing pillow. It often made my arms, neck, back more comfy...but I got so darn HOT using it that it drove me nuts! I used it off and on until DS was about 3 mos old. I don't think I used it more than a handful of times between 3 and 6 mos. I KNOW I did not use it once after he was 6 mos.

For me, as DS got bigger, although he was heavier, it was easier to hold him...at least I didn't have to hold him "up" to reach my breasts while nursing. I also tended to sit on our couch where I could rest my arm on the arm rest. Though I nursed every single morning at the kitchen table w/o a place to support my arm. He nurse on one side, and I'd pump the other, so I was supporting him with one arm. I did that until he was about 12 mo.

When we have #2, I don't plan to get a new pillow...even if I found that it was somehow destroyed in storage.

maylips
09-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I used it the entire time I nursed with both kids (a year each). It was my must have baby item for me, but everyone is different, I guess. It just helped my posture tremendously, as I didn't have to bend my body in ways to fit the baby, or hold him/her up and wear out my arms.

My mom made me one, though, and it is bigger than the store-bought ones. I really loved it.

HonoluluMom
09-03-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm still nursing DD and use a boppy at home. If I'm in bed, I'll use a pillow on each side of me under the boppy to kind of elevate her. If I'm on the sofa, I'll put my arm under the boppy to elevate her head. DD likes to lay down to nurse.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-03-2010, 05:46 PM
DS is almost 8 months old and i still use my MBF whenever i nurse (unless i'm lying down). i won't go without it unless i'm in public or something. it really helps my posture etc. the thing is though i don't know how much longer i can use it for, as i'm pg and already have a tummy. so i probably won't be able to use it in a couple months.

lovebebes
09-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I cant remember exactly how long I used it for, but definitely a long time, both times.
This time around Im going to get the Blessed Nest organic pillow because I just hate the fact that MBF and a lot of the other mainstream favorites have all been treated with fire retardants:irked: Too bad, because I thought the strap on function of MBF was going to be awesome..

eta to add this: http://www.puremothers.com/?p=1376

catsnkid
09-03-2010, 09:34 PM
I think I used it a lot the first three months, during the constantly nursing phase.. Probably stopped around 4 1/2 to 5 months when he got much stronger.

barkley1
09-04-2010, 09:27 PM
I never liked the Boppy as much as just a regular old bed pillow. I had a fav DS layed on each time and we used it up until he quit nursing at 5 months, and still use it as 13 months to recline on to drink a bottle. It just makes it so my arms aren't worn out - more relaxing for us both since I have bony arms LOL.

ncat
09-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I only used the boppy for nursing for a few months with each kid (preferred position for me was laying down once they had some neck control and had figured nursing out), but I used it to help DCs sit up when they were 5-7 months or so, capable and interested but still wobbly.

DebbieJ
09-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I mostly just use regular pillows.

When DS2 was a wee one, I used lots of bed pillows and mostly nursed him in bed.

When we nurse on the couch we use a couple throw pillows.

When we nurse in his room in the glider, I have a pillow my grandma made that works perfectly.

I can certainly nurse without one at this point, but it's nice to be hands free.

twowhat?
09-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Mine used their nursing pillow until they weaned at 18 months. I would occassionally nurse without the pillow, but then I'd have to support them. They really liked to be relaxed when nursing. The poor nursing pillow stood up to it all, and I felt like I'd lost a piece of me when I sold it on CL.

Kymberley
09-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Right after DS turned 1 last month, I retired the nursing pillow. I've finally figured out how to nurse without it, but it makes me so sad that I don't use it anymore. My little boy is growing to fast *sniff*

dec756
09-05-2010, 11:44 AM
i probably only used boppy for nursing purpose until he was a couple months old and i recovered from my cection. i still use the boppy to this day (9months old) for sitting, playing, laying around. he actually has a cold right now and i use it to prop him up while he sleeps in his crib. i love my boppy and so does he

hellokitty
09-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I've used mine for a long time, basically for the entire time I've nursed each child. The longest I've nursed was DS2 who was one month shy of turning 3 yrs old before he weaned. I used boppies. I got a velcro version of the MBF this time for DS3 and the velcro annoyed me, but overall I think it's a better pillow for new moms trying to get the hang of nursing, so the new clip version would probably be a lot better.

Beth24
09-06-2010, 01:17 AM
I've used mine for a long time, basically for the entire time I've nursed each child. The longest I've nursed was DS2 who was one month shy of turning 3 yrs old before he weaned. I used boppies. I got a velcro version of the MBF this time for DS3 and the velcro annoyed me, but overall I think it's a better pillow for new moms trying to get the hang of nursing, so the new clip version would probably be a lot better.

There's a new version w/o Velcro??? I love my MBF but hate how loud the velcro is when you take it off!

citymama
09-06-2010, 02:42 AM
There's a new version w/o Velcro??? I love my MBF but hate how loud the velcro is when you take it off!

That's why I bought a new one! I remember how annoying it was to wake up your sleeping baby when you take the pillow off. Well, now I don't want to use the new buckle one b/c it's harder to get the buckle *on* single-handedly when holding the baby. Plus I hate that it has fire-retardant. My old, velcro one that is falling apart was used by 2 other moms before me and washed so many times there's probably nothing left on it.

gatorsmom
09-06-2010, 11:43 PM
With Gator I used my Boppy all the time. With Cha cha NEVER. I got lazy and didn't want to carry the Boppy up the stairs. LOL. So, I'd sometimes hold him in my arms but most often I'd lay on my side on the floor of the family room where Gator was playing and have him next to me on a blanket. That was most comfortable.

With the twins I had a double bfing pillow which I bought 2 of- one for each floor of our house. I always bfed the twins simultaneously (less time consuming and easier for me) and couldn't have managed that without the pillow.

Beth24
09-06-2010, 11:56 PM
That's why I bought a new one! I remember how annoying it was to wake up your sleeping baby when you take the pillow off. Well, now I don't want to use the new buckle one b/c it's harder to get the buckle *on* single-handedly when holding the baby. Plus I hate that it has fire-retardant. My old, velcro one that is falling apart was used by 2 other moms before me and washed so many times there's probably nothing left on it.

Well then I'm so glad I didn't buy a new one. I actually got my pillow back from my sister who had lent it out to her friend, so between everyone the pillow is 12 and a half years old and has been through 8 kids! And that darn Velcro is as loud as ever. FWIW, I got a different pillow made by luna lullabye that I use downstairs as a baby gift and I really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosom-Baby-BB-7043-Pillow-Blue/dp/B003BL66SA/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1283809914&sr=1-3-fkmr1

essnce629
09-07-2010, 08:25 AM
DS2 is 15 months old and I still use the MBF pillow for every nursing session (except when we're cosleeping). I love it so much that I actually have 2 of them-- one for in the living room and one in the bedroom. DS2 knows to go to the "milky pillow" when it's time to nurse! I nursed DS1 till he self-weaned at 24 months and I know I used the MBF pillow with him till he was at least 13 months old. I had the old loud velco version MBF with DS1, but the buckle version MBF came out at least 4 years ago since my friends with 4 year olds handed down their buckle version ones to me after I had DS2.

sweet_pea
09-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I used the MBF until DD grew to be longer than the pillow (maybe around 6 months?) and looked uncomfortable the way her legs were hanging off. After that I just used a regular pillow to help support her.

twowhat?
09-10-2010, 10:02 PM
With Gator I used my Boppy all the time. With Cha cha NEVER. I got lazy and didn't want to carry the Boppy up the stairs. LOL. So, I'd sometimes hold him in my arms but most often I'd lay on my side on the floor of the family room where Gator was playing and have him next to me on a blanket. That was most comfortable.

With the twins I had a double bfing pillow which I bought 2 of- one for each floor of our house. I always bfed the twins simultaneously (less time consuming and easier for me) and couldn't have managed that without the pillow.

OK wow, I thought I did great for breastfeeding twins...but you get a GOLD STAR:applause:

gatorsmom
09-11-2010, 01:50 PM
OK wow, I thought I did great for breastfeeding twins...but you get a GOLD STAR:applause:

My thought is that anyone who even HAS twins gets a gold star. TWINS ARE HARD.