PDA

View Full Version : scared to use steamer on hardwood

momof2girls
09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I only use bona on my hardwood as I am paranoid of ruining them. However, they never feel truly clean to me. The installer stressed to me to only use Bona as everything else is too harsh. I already ruined them once by using Pladge multi-surface floor cleaner and had to get them re-done. Has anyone used a steam cleaner on hardwood and regretted it?

Smillow
09-03-2010, 02:27 PM
I used a shark-type steamer on some really filthy hardwood in a house my DH & I cleaned up for sale. The house was beyond filthy, I figured I didn't have much to lose, but it worked great! THe floors were oak, if that matters. We have 90 yo heart pine floors at our home & I would steam them (lightly) as long as the finish was good.

ThreeofUs
09-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Hmmm... You know, Bona might be leaving a residue on your floors. Try damp-mopping (but wring out the mop pretty well or dry afterward) with a dilute white vinegar/hot water solution and see if your floors feel cleaner.

peanut520
09-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Are you hardwood floors sealed? i use a steam mop on my sealed hardwood floor at least twice a week for the past few years since i bought my first steam mop.