PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! False alarm

Roni
09-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I spent last night in the hospital, but they sent me home with no baby! Ugh! I was having contractions yesterday and went to the Dr. The midwife measured me at 4 cm and sent me across the street to the hospital, figuring that since I'm half and hour away and it's my third, it didn't make sense to send me home. They admitted me, but labor stalled, and they didn't want to induce me. So frustrating! Of course, now, there's no way I'm going in again until I'm absolutely sure, & the Dr. on-call was worrying that I could still end up with a c-section. (My placenta is 2.6 cm away.) With baby #2, I went from 6-7 cm dilated to delivery in 31 minutes. Seems a little crazy to me. I think if I were past my due date, which is next Tuesday, they may have been more willing to induce me. But for now, it's still a waiting game.

luckytwenty
09-03-2010, 05:53 PM
That stinks, but you're so close!!! Hope you make it there before Tuesday and get a chance to rest in the meantime.

swissair81
09-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I feel for you.

citymama
09-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Hang in there - how thrilling, you'll be meeting your baby very soon!

bostonsmama
09-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Bummer, but I hear inductions suck...so hopefully the next time you go in you'll have a progressive labor pattern that is much more comfortable for you than evil pit contractions. Here's hoping you don't need a C.

swissair81
09-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Inductions definitely suck. They are way more painful than natural labors.

BigDog
09-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Inductions definitely suck. They are way more painful than natural labors.

Really? Ugh! I can't imagine anything being more painful than my natural labor with DS. I'm due this Tuesday with DS2 and it seems like this kid is never going to come out. I've been 3cm and 70% for ages now. If I make it to my appt on Wednesday I was going to ask about an induction. Even with an epidural is being induced still that painful?? I don't know how much more I can take of this!

Roni
09-06-2010, 11:04 AM
DS2 was induced (but 13 days after my due date). It was a long day--I was expecting it to be faster, since it was my second. But, I was able to deliver without an epideral, since the really painful part didn't last long. I went from 6-7 cm to delivery in 31 minutes. I'm due tomorrow, too, but they obviously aren't too into inductions in my practice, unless you are going on two weeks overdue. There's no way I can go two more weeks!!!!

shoxie
09-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Sorry, mama. This actually happened to me with #2. I was contracting fairly regularly at home, and then went in when they got to be 3-1-1. As soon as I got to the hospital, everything stalled even though I was at 4cm. However, MW had me do some laps and squats around the hospital corridor, as long as I could take it, and things started progressing again. Then they stalled once more.

At that point, she asked if we'd consider allowing her to break the bag of waters. I had tested GBS+ so was on IV antibiotics, and I didn't want to have to keep repeating them. I let her do it, and the contractions got super strong. I pushed DS out in 3 pushes, teeny-weeny tear (almost nothing). One hour later, I felt great. Still, I was there from about 6-7am and didn't have DS until about 5pm that evening. The walking around and squatting did help progress, but breaking the bag of waters really did it. Not advocating for anyone to do this, but it worked for me as I think I just don't react well to being in the hospital...

Roni
09-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I had to have my water broken both times, so I would have been fine with that. I'm really surprised they let me stay overnight and then didn't do anything to help me along. It's so frustrating because the timing was so good, with the girls having a 4-day weekend. So, my mother wouldn't have had to deal with getting them both out the door. If I end up in the hospital in the next couple days, I'll miss dd1's Open House at school.

brittone2
09-06-2010, 07:15 PM
It is so hard at the end, but avoiding a non medically necessary induction is something I'd be thankful for. Too many places would have pressured you to have the induction.

Hang in there!

(eta: I've had fastish labors too...longest of the three was 6 hours, shortest was 3ish hours.)

swissair81
09-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Really? Ugh! I can't imagine anything being more painful than my natural labor with DS. I'm due this Tuesday with DS2 and it seems like this kid is never going to come out. I've been 3cm and 70% for ages now. If I make it to my appt on Wednesday I was going to ask about an induction. Even with an epidural is being induced still that painful?? I don't know how much more I can take of this!

Depending on when you get the epidural, it can slow your artificial labor down. Also, inductions can seriously stress out your baby.

Roni
09-16-2010, 12:22 PM
We ended up going in on Thursday because we were worried that the baby wasn't moving as much. They decided to induce me. They started the pitocin around 2:00, & I had a little girl @ 10:04. She was 7 lbs., 3 oz, which is my biggest, so I'm glad they didn't wait any longer. DH & I both were concerned about the date being off, so I was glad not to go to 42 weeks.

SnuggleBuggles
09-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Congratulations!!!!! :)

Beth

citymama
09-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Wonderful news - enjoy your new baby!:cheerleader1:

swissair81
09-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Congratulations! Lots of girls being born now.

WolfpackMom
09-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Yay!! Congratulations!!

WatchingThemGrow
09-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Welcome, little one! Congrats on your new babe!

Drag0nflygirl
09-16-2010, 03:46 PM
I was just wondering about this. Congrats!

Kitten007
09-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Congrats on your baby girl!

Edensmum
09-25-2010, 10:38 PM

Yes it's more painful and epidurals do not always work well. All of those medications increase the risks to you and your baby. Hang in there, time is short and dilation doesn't matter until you are in labor. It's good to be starting where you are as those first three are the buggers, once you are past 3-4 it's generally a faster process. Good luck.

Edensmum
09-25-2010, 10:41 PM
I labored with number 2 for nearly 30 hours of 2-3 minute apart contractions and had no baby. It got me to 3 centimeters and effaced and ready to go. It's all part of the process, your body and your baby know what they are doing. They are getting into position and starting to open. I could be any time now. Be patient it's so much better for you both it if happens on it's own. I went into labor again 2 weeks after the first round, and had my baby.