PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for 4yo Who Never Uses One?

theweebee
09-04-2010, 06:08 PM
We're going to WDW for the first time at the end of October for our b-days! (DD turns 4, I turn 40, DH turns 41 all in the span of 5 days!). DD hated her Graco Metrolite from the time she was out of her infant seat and just wanted to run anyways, so hasn't been in a stroller since she was 18 months old. I just never bothered to try to put her in one as we just never needed one (is my only child, we live in a suburb of a small wintery city, she's very well behaved so I don't have to trap her in a stroller in the mall etc). I also found the Metrolite to be such a pain--heavy, cumbersome to store and to use, etc. Disney-phile friends w/ 7 and 9 yo girls advised me to absolutely expect to have a stroller at WDW, and implied we should rent one. But we will be there 8 days/7 nights staying at the Beach Club resort (so not on the monorail, is on the bus system). At $13/day, we'd pay $91 for the days we'll be doing the parks. We are also flying with one layover going down, no layovers coming back. I planned on carrying a backpack and fanny pack (I'm laughing at all the posts about fanny packs. DH hates it when I wear mine, which I routinely do when flying somewhere, but it's so darn convenient that I don't care if they're old lady/geeky or not!). I was in BRU last night trading in our old infant car seat for a new booster car seat (that 25% discount thing they go going on right now), when DD and I looked at the folding strollers for kicks. She actually had fun riding around in them, so maybe she would use one here at home (like on big shopping trips, zoo, etc). I do not intend to have another child, so this stroller would probably be it for life if I bought one.

So knowing all this about me, what do all you seasoned moms (and lurking dads) recommend for me? Go ahead and just rent at WDW? Buy one here? If so, which one? Thanks

hillview
09-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Can you borrow one? I'd personally prefer a BJCM but that is about 200 so might be a little much. I think I'd go with ask a friend first. Failing that maybe a Mac Volo? Hopefully someone will have other ideas!
/hillary

hbridge
09-04-2010, 08:21 PM
We took a volo and it worked wonderfully. Easy fold and light weight for buses, ect.

Momof3Labs
09-04-2010, 08:32 PM
How heavy is she? I'd probably just get something like a Maclaren Volo - by that age, a basic Maclaren was enough for my boys even at WDW (though I don't have stroller nappers either).

crl
09-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Do you have a decent Craigslist? Could you buy something off CL before the trip, then resell if you find you aren't using it after your return? MacLarens have good resale value so if you think an umbrella would do the trick, I'd go for one of those. Volos are the most barebones, lightest weight and cheapest, I think.

Catherine

Kaylee31
09-05-2010, 01:12 AM
Another vote for the Volo here. I think it would be great for your needs and you could always sell it later and get most of your money back from it. I got this one a few weeks ago to use for errands, and love it so far. http://cgi.ebay.com/Maclaren-Volo-Silver-Green-Stripe-2009-Stroller-New-/260657896714?pt=Strollers&hash=item3cb06bdd0a

theweebee
09-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for everyone's help. DD weighs only 32# soaking wet, so opens up our stroller options a bit. My friends are all either using their strollers or already gave them away, but I forget about Craigs List! Great idea. Any other thoughts are welcome...

alien_host
09-05-2010, 09:33 AM
I also agree that a Mac Volo or Triumph would work well. My DD (5 when we went) hadn't used a stroller for about 18 months but rode in it every day at WDW (from the minute we left the hotel room!)

fivi2
09-05-2010, 10:37 AM
We picked up $10 umbrella strollers at Target in orlando for our 4 yos last time. Yes, they are a pain to push, but the girls never complained about riding in them and they were cheap and easy to carry around.

clc053103
09-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Volo is perfect for a 4 year old- i speak from experience! However, not against renting a stroller either. Do you think DD will be tired after a day at the park? Then bring your own b/c the park strollers are for in-park use only.

lhafer
09-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I bought a Volo specifically for my 4 yr old for our WDW trip later this year. She normally doesn't ride, but I know she will get tired with all that walking.

DietCokeLover
09-06-2010, 08:09 PM
We purchased a Graco Ipo and a Britax Blink for our WDW trip. We were really pleased with them. They both fold easy and were not difficult with transportation. THey were also not tippy, which is great when you are hanging things on the handlebars. The Ipo is often under $100 and the Blink can be found for usually $100. I have them in my van now fir the occasional use.

The only negative was that therewas no cupholder.