PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for stocking up nursery while on hospital bed-rest

TxCat
09-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately I was diagnosed with placental abruption and subsequent preterm contractions this weekend at 34 weeks. While the good news is that it looks like we'll be able to avoid a preterm delivery at the present time, the not-so-good news (for me at least) is that I'm likely on hospital bed-rest until 37 weeks when I'll deliver via c-section.

Of course, I have a ton of things left undone at home, and of course, this happened a week before my baby shower and my mother-in-law rushed to cancel the shower before even looking into alternatives like having it at the hospital instead (even though my mother-in-law isn't even hostessing the shower - don't get me started).

Anyways, the few baby gifts I've received have all been "fun stuff" and I was really hoping for some of the more practical things at the shower, which now isn't happening. Since it looks like I'll need to do some massive online shopping, what are some of the "must-haves" to have in place to come home. I know most people just say the infant car seat and a place for the baby to sleep, both of which we have, but I have to think there needs to be more. Here's what I have on my list so far (none of which we have of course):

Essential:
Changing pad
waterproof mattress cover
a few all-purpose lap pads/waterproof pads
burp cloths (ie, pre-fold cloth diapers)
Bottles (I'm thinking mostly 4-oz and low-flow nipples to start)
Diapers (everyone on this board is scaring me away from Pampers - are Huggies the way to go now?)

Less essential:
baby monitor
baby bathtub or baby bath sponge liner
baby towels/washcloths (can I get away with adult for a little while?)

I know I'm forgetting things, but my brain is so addled right now, that I'm finding it hard to keep things straight! Any suggestions would be so appreciated!

WolfpackMom
09-05-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm on my phone now so I'll have to reply more later, but can the shower host circumvent MIL? Maybe you can have a virtual shower. Your original host should be able to let people know what essential items you still need and I'm sure people will be happy to help given the situation. I'm sorry you're stuck in the hospital, hope that baby gets to bake a little longer!

KrisM
09-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Have any of those been purchased off a registry? When my SIL had her baby before her shower, my mom called the relatives and anything that was needed was delivered to her. I had bought the carseat, so they were happy I could just bring it to the hospital. Also, I stopped at the store for a handful of other things for her.

Otherwise, I think a lot of what you listed is still optional. You can change the baby on the floor and most won't pee out of a diaper that young. So, if you don't get it, don't worry.

I hope your bedrest goes well.

MoJo
09-05-2010, 02:19 PM
I can't believe she cancelled your shower! But I'm glad the prognosis is good for you and your LO.

My opinions:

Changing pad is nice (I almost never used it for #1, but I can't tell you how many times #2 has peed/pooped on me while changing her, starting 5 minutes after birth.) I like having two of the washable ones the I can set down under baby wherever it's convenient.

waterproof mattress cover I've never had. I'm pretty sure both of my crib mattresses are waterproof, and if not, I certainly never had a babies diaper overflow to the point that was necessary. IME, that happens after they are sleeping through the night.

a few all-purpose lap pads/waterproof pads-- I think that's what I used as a changing pad.

burp cloths (ie, pre-fold cloth diapers)--never used--never needed.

Bottles (I'm thinking mostly 4-oz and low-flow nipples to start)--if you choose to breastfeed, you might not need any bottles/nipples right away. I didn't start my girls on bottles until they were about 4 weeks, and then yes, I used 4 oz bottles with slow nipples.

Diapers (everyone on this board is scaring me away from Pampers - are Huggies the way to go now?)--you will need diapers, but I was able to take the package they had opened at the hospital home, so I didn't actually use any of my own for several days. I've been happy with the Parent's Choice brand.

Less essential:
baby monitor-I never use except when going outside, but I have a small house and baby sleeps in my room.

baby bathtub or baby bath sponge liner-- Baby can't have a real bath until the cord comes off anyway (1-2 weeks in my experience), and you can use a large bath towel in place of the sponge. I've never had a baby bathtub.

baby towels/washcloths (can I get away with adult for a little while?)--You can easily use an adult washcloth, but I think adult bath towels are awkward on a really little one unless you have some smaller/thinner ones.

I'm assuming among the "fun things" you have are clothes, pacifiers if you want to use them (#1 loved; #2 gagged), receiving blankets, perhaps some sleep sacks &/or swaddles, baby bath "soap," and a first-aid type kit with saline drops, fingernail safety trimmers, and Mylicon? Those are all things I wouldn't want to be without in my first few weeks at home. Especially the Mylicon or whatever gas treatment you choose. Painful gas hit both of my girls at night in their first few days and I was SO glad I had that.

AshleyAnn
09-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Bottles - Skip the little ones and buy the 8 oz. It doesn't hurt anything to use the big ones from the beginning and you'll need big before you know it. But don't but more than a few until you know what you LO likes. I have dozens of bottles DD could not use because they were a bad shape for her to the flow was too fast (slow flow nipples can be too fast). We tried 6+ types before finding the perfect ones.

Changing pad - We used it in the beginning but it wasn't an essential IMO

waterproof mattress cover - Didn't ever use ours. It make changing the sheets extra hard. Our baby slept in the bassinet for 6 weeks and she was so bundled with a swaddle nothing ever touched her sheets

a few all-purpose lap pads/waterproof pads - Never found a use for these

burp cloths (ie, pre-fold cloth diapers) - Yes! Great all purpose item

Diapers (everyone on this board is scaring me away from Pampers - are Huggies the way to go now?) - I use target generic. Don't buy too many its too hard to plan ahead for. I was told to skip newborns because babies outgrow them so fast. Well my nearly full term baby (36 weeks?) was small birth weight and used premmie dipes for nearly a month and went thru 3 boxes of newborns. My nephew born at 38 weeks was too big for newborns in the hospital. The hospital gives you a pack so if you have one or two jumbo packages at home I think you're set. Don't forget to get wipes!!!

Boppy pillows are great. You'll want some blanket sleepers or onsies depending on your weather. Recieving blankets for swaddling. I like baby wash clothes better than adult ones. A pacifier or two is also a good idea. A bottle of J&J head to toe wash.

TxCat
09-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! I'll make a list of what I actually have, and then feel free to chime in with what would be good for me to order while I have the time. Since it's going to be a c-section, I'm not anticipating being too mobile immediately after coming home. Also, I am planning to try to breast feed, but I'm definitely open to supplementing with formula at this point as needed, and anticipate that if I do breast feed, I'll be pumping as well (hence, the bottles).

What I have:

infant car seat
crib
crib mattress
2 crib sheets
changing table/dresser

6 onesies - I think all are in the 0-3 month size, but I can't remember now

pack n play (planning to use the bassinet feature by our bed at first)
4 swaddling blankets
3 receiving blankets
diaper genie
diaper genie refill pack
stroller
gymini mat
bouncer
sleep sheep
toys

So, I feel like I'm lacking a lot of the practical stuff, since I was going to either purchase it myself in the next few weeks (like baby mylicon, diapers, etc.), or was hoping for it at the shower. Now I'm just trying to fill in the glaring gaps!

Indianamom2
09-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Sorry to hear that you're on bedrest, but hopefully it will keep your little one safe a bit longer.

I'm thinking out loud here, but here are some of my thoughts:

Personally, I'd skip the small bottles and buy a package of larger bottles/slow flow nipples. It will ultimately save money. Also, don't stock up because you may have a finicky one (says the mom with a gazillion rejected bottles!).

You'll probably want a couple of pacifiers.

You can't go wrong with the thick (not bird's eye) Gerber cloth diapers for burp cloths. Trust me, if you have a spitter, they will be a life (and clothes) saver! If worst comes to worst, you'll have a few extra dust rags!

I personally would want at least one more crib sheet...again, if you have a big spitter, you can go through a lot of linens.

A few footed pjs are always helpful...maybe in lightweight cotton and terry cloth or fleece, depending on the weather where you are. Terry cloth seem to a nice all-purpose weight, IMO.

Baby towels are not necessary, IME. The little washcloths are nice, but the towels were often not big/long enough for my kiddos for very long. Cute, but not necessary.

I would buy at least one package of diapers. I personally use Pampers Cruisers still, with no problems, but if you didn't want to use them, you could still try the Pampers Baby Dry. I also like Luvs, but I don't think anything beats Pampers for nighttime, at least not for either of my kids.

Speaking of diapers, don't forget the wipes. I LOVE Target's non-scented wipes.

Oh...one thing that I liked to have early on was A&D ointment for each diaper change. It really helps prevent/heal diaper rash.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that's at least a really good start. Babies truly don't need a lot of stuff...that's just all for mommy's peace of mind! Best wishes for a safe and happy delivery.

KrisM
09-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I'd add some long sleeve/pants one-pieces too. Pajamas or sleep n plays or whatever they're called :). Some thing cute that can be worn all day.

If you are planning on pumping - do you have a pump?

You really don't need a ton at the beginning and within 1-2 weeks, you'll likely be feeling ready to get out of the house a bit. And, people will buy you gifts for the baby or if they have gifts from the shower, they might still bring them by.

AshleyAnn
09-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Really in the beginning they eat and sleep and poop. So you don't have to worry about having it all. Cover those bases and fill it later.

A sling is a great addition. I loved my structured carrier for a little later but for the newborn phase a sling is my fav.

A stroller is also a must have for getting out of the house. Infant seats are a lot harder to carry than they look.

I'd get more clothing and recieving blankets. (My DD was small and the swaddling blankets were much too larger) At least 12 onsies in 0-3 month size and 6 blankets. I also would suggest at least 3 footie PJs. A hat or two. and some socks.

Do you have a diaper bag? Go for something simple and small. I bought the standard 'holds everything' bag that seems like the perfect solution and its so huge I rarely use it because it was a PITA to deal with.

Don't forget to pick up some basic health stuff - baby wash, destin, A&D.

luckytwenty
09-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Sorry to hear about the bed rest!!! I think in the beginning you can get by with just a lot of onesies, depending on the weather where you are, and you don't even need bottles if you'll be BF at first--if you won't be, I agree to stick with larger sizes. I do think swaddling blankets and an infant bathtub are important, but the bathtub you can get for like $10 or so...we were very happy with the cheap Safety First one we got for my son when he was a baby at Walmart and will be using it for this baby as well. I'd also get a sling or carrier.

The rest can wait--hang in there!!!

daisymommy
09-06-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you're on bedrest, and that your shower was cancelled :( I can empathize, as I was on bed rest with all 3 of my babies, up until 37 weeks. It really throws a wrench in our shopping and organizing plans doesn't it?! ;) Thankfully I was released at 37 weeks to go on with life until I went into labor at 40 weeks, but by the time you're that big and uncomfortable, you don't feel like doing much anymore. So, my laptop and online shopping was really my friend!

I would love to help be your personal shopper, and send you links and ideas to some great ideas. I don't have time right now, but maybe tonight or tomorrow.

In the mean time, I love that you can set up your registry online at Babies-R-Us, edit it online, see what people have bought you, etc. Also, Amazon.com allows you to do a wish list with items from any online store, all combined onto one list. Then of people ask what they can get you, you can send them a link to your registry.

Take Care, and enjoy the time you have to read up on all the baby books, sleep and breastfeeding information that you always need later, but never have the time or brain power for after the baby is born :)

larig
09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Bottles - Skip the little ones and buy the 8 oz. It doesn't hurt anything to use the big ones from the beginning and you'll need big before you know it. But don't but more than a few until you know what you LO likes. I have dozens of bottles DD could not use because they were a bad shape for her to the flow was too fast (slow flow nipples can be too fast). We tried 6+ types before finding the perfect ones.

just skip the little ones. As long as you have good ones that don't cause gas, you'll be fine with 8 oz ones. DS had 2 4 oz bottles and 10 8 oz. They're so expensive, so I decided against something that would only last you a few months (that was the rec I read here when I was looking).

Indianamom2
09-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Something I thought of that I didn't see mentioned:

You'll probably want to pick up a pack or two of your favorite feminine pad of choice (Your Dh won't want this job!) You might also want a container of tucks/witch hazel pads for taking care of yourself after delivery.

You'll also want some nursing bras/pads if you're going to breastfeed.

daisymommy
09-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Essential:
Changing pad
Do you mean for on top of a changing table? Here's what we have:
http://www.amazon.com/Nightstar-Eco-Friendly-Contour-Changing-Pad/dp/B000VKCGTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1283872376&sr=1-1
And a soft terry cover. I would not want to get down on the floor every time to change a baby, and mine were always peeing on me or the sofa without one. When I was out of the nursery, I used a folding changing pad:
http://www.amazon.com/Kushies-Deluxe-Change-Cream-Polka/dp/B000TEVMEU/ref=pd_cp_ba_2
http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-77590-ChangeAway-Black/dp/B0038JE3RQ/ref=pd_cp_ba_1

waterproof mattress cover
For a crib?
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4102386

a few all-purpose lap pads/waterproof pads
Never found the need for the the lap pads I bought, only waterproof mattress pads for the crib, and these for inside the bassinet, and pack-n-play (under the sheet):
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3046050
http://www.amazon.com/Snoozy-Organic-Flannel-Cotton-Waterproof/dp/B001387H40/ref=pd_sim_ba_6 These are so soft and quilty! I found them at Buy-Buy-Baby in all sorts of sizes.

burp cloths (ie, pre-fold cloth diapers)
I went with the regular size (12-18 of them)
http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=89

Bottles (I'm thinking mostly 4-oz and low-flow nipples to start)
Every baby is different, and likes a different type. Some good ones are Avent, Born Free, Dr. Brown's and Playex Premium Nurser with liners. I would pick maybe 2 types, and get a couple of those, then if they do well with it, return the others you didn't open yet.

Diapers (everyone on this board is scaring me away from Pampers - are Huggies the way to go now?)
Huggies Pure and Natural diapers are great! Nice and soft for newborns and great fit:
http://www.huggiespureandnatural.com/
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3519628

And I still really like Pampers Baby Dry diapers (they don't contain the awful DryMax stuff. But they aren't as snuggle soft as the Huggies Naturals I mentioned.

Less essential:
baby monitor
We are on our third child with a simple Graco Sounds and Lights Monitor. I can hear everything great from 3 floors away.

baby bathtub or baby bath sponge liner
This one has a nice little net "hammock" for a newborn. I like that you can use it on your kitchen sink.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2403667

OR this one for in your bathtub, but not until they are tad bit older (maybe 2 months?) It does last longer/till they are older though:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2404856

baby towels/washcloths (can I get away with adult for a little while?)
I personally like hooded towels for babies, to keep their heads warm:
I found Carters and Bumkins organic to be the softest and fluffiest. The Gerber ones were so thin and scratchy. 2 towels is plenty, and maybe 6 washcloths.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401821

Hope that helps!

zag95
09-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Dear OP-
Congrats- your baby is almost here!

OK based on what you said below I would get some of the following as essentials:
Waterproof crib mattress cover (I had 2)
2 crib sheets
2-3 larger waterproof pads (Gerber, Esp for Baby have some)- I also used these on my change table
Cloth diapers 6-8 (one pkg) for spit ups, etc.
Bottles- I'd get a few basics (Evenflo, gerber, playtex) to have in the larger size (8 oz) as other recommended.
Diapers- we used Pampers Swaddlers- this was before drymax- I'd get some that don't have drymax in a larger size 1/2 and use up what you get from the hospital....
wipes- I'd get some scent free ones- we used kirkland and Huggies brand.

Less essential:
baby monitor (pass- only essential if you have a huge house with multiple levels- I can always hear my daughter and she's always slept in her own room! It's called mommy ears!! ;0)
baby bathtub or baby bath sponge liner (can you borrow from someone? We liked our first years tub- we used it in the sink until she was 6-7 mos old)
baby towels/washcloths (can I get away with adult for a little while?- yes- esp for the towels- in the beginning you do sponge baths anyway)

I would get a few one piece sleepers- sleep and plays..... that snap or zip up. Great for baby to wear- we lived in these! A tip that the zippered ones are easiest to use at 3a when you are doing a night change!!)

6 onesies - I think all are in the 0-3 month size, but I can't remember now

Congrats and hope your resting goes well until the arrival!

Tenasparkl
09-07-2010, 07:44 PM
I'd also get a boppy (w/ covers) or my brest friend pillow.

swissair81
09-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Something I thought of that I didn't see mentioned:

You'll probably want to pick up a pack or two of your favorite feminine pad of choice (Your Dh won't want this job!) You might also want a container of tucks/witch hazel pads for taking care of yourself after delivery.

You'll also want some nursing bras/pads if you're going to breastfeed.

On my unit we recommended Depends urinary incontinence pads. It catches all the gore & also helps with postpartum incontinence (yes that's very common). I've used them myself all 4 times & I would continue to recommend them.

newg
09-07-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear your MIL canceled your shower. Is there someone eles who was going to attend that could fish around for you to find out if people are still planning to give your their gifts??
Target, BRU and PBK all let you set up and manage your registry online....so you can easily see if people purchase items for you.

I was on bedrest for three weeks with my DD2 that was just born. Was in the hospital for four days and was able to go home for the remainder of the time. It drove me crazy, but kept DD2 in 'till 36w5d.
If you are going to have a c-section you are probably not going to feel like getting on the floor to change diapers for a while, so having a place to change that is elevated (bed, counter, changing table, PNP changer) will be a big help. You are suppose to do a full blown bath 'till the umbilical cord stump falls off, which is usually a week or two after the baby is born.....so you'd have time after to get a tub.
Right now DD is a month old and is in onesies and footed sleepers (short sleeve and long sleeve, depending on the weather) Target, JCP, BRU and Diapers.com all have a good online selection.

I have more to add, but I really need to get to bed before DD2 wakes me up to feed again!!