PDA

View Full Version : Closet help

KrisM
09-05-2010, 12:31 PM
DD's closet is finally nearly clear off all my stuff. There is a bookcase in it that needs to go and that is all that is left. But, I need to do something with it or it'll just end up a disasterous mess, I am sure.

The closet is 11.5 feet long and 4 feet deep. It has bifold doors that are 6 feet wide. And it's a sloped ceiling, so the back wall is only 5.5 feet tall. Right now, there is a shelf and a rod along that back wall and that is it.

What would you do to make this useful for storage of toys and clothes?

JTsMom
09-05-2010, 12:43 PM
nak

in ds's closet we did 2 wire shelves- one is low so he can reach, but high enough to hang a teen's stuff w/out it hitting the floor. in the middle is a 5 cube expedit standing up for games, backpacks, etc.

i put out of season stuff on the far ends, tops are on one side, bottoms on other.

niccig
09-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Can you put a closet system in there?

DS has one in his closet, it has shelves and bars for hanging. Unfortunately, you can't really change things around, which is a pain. One day I'll replace it with a newer one that does let you move things around.

My closet doesn't have an organizer system and I want one. I have a set of plastic drawers in there for folded clothes and then a shoe rack. I have lots of plastic bins on top of the shelf for out of season clothes etc. My closet is always a huge mess.

If you want folded clothes and toys in there, then you'll need to have some sort of shelves.

KrisM
09-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm worried about the floor becomming full of stuff, since it's so deep. I could easily do a closet organizer or an Expedit, but I'd still have 2 feet of floor before the door and I can see her opening the door, dumping something in, and closing the door. This is what I did for a couple years :rotflmao:.

When we only had 2 kids, her room was our guest room and the closet was my office. I had a desk, file cabinet and bookcases in there and it was great! I loved being able to shut the door on it all. But, that should tell you how big it really is.

niccig
09-05-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm worried about the floor becomming full of stuff, since it's so deep. I could easily do a closet organizer or an Expedit, but I'd still have 2 feet of floor before the door and I can see her opening the door, dumping something in, and closing the door. This is what I did for a couple years :rotflmao:.

When we only had 2 kids, her room was our guest room and the closet was my office. I had a desk, file cabinet and bookcases in there and it was great! I loved being able to shut the door on it all. But, that should tell you how big it really is.

That's why my closet is a mess, open door, throw it in and quickly close a door. I'm trying to get DS to be better with his dresser - all his folded clothes are in there, and with his shoe rack. I have to check up on him and make him straighten it up. He is getting better with the clothes and shows me how he moves several to get the one he wants underneath. Much better than when he would just throw them on the floor, get the t-shirt and then walk out of his room.

I also think having less things helps keep it organized - which we know for the rest of the house. I'm going to pare down his clothes etc, so there's not too much to look through to find what he wants.

I wish I had a closet that size...but you need something to keep it all together. Maybe have all the things she needs within her reach and anything up high are things like next season clothes, toys need your help with etc. I like the closet system idea as it should grow with her, as long as it's flexible. DS is all bolted together and you can't move things around.

KrisM
09-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I've gotten better at not buying too many clothes. Up until now, they've all been in the dresser. We hung up dresses today. She can reach the hanging bar fairly well, which is nice.

I have a bin for next seasons clothes, but it's just on the floor, since the shelf isn't very useful since it's only maybe 8 inches from the ceiling. I don't know that we'll end up with a high spot for things, with the sloped ceiling. Makes it hard. I think I'll wander around some closet sites.

WatchingThemGrow
09-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I have closet envy. I think DD's is 41-48" wide.

Have you looked at closetmaid shelf-track system (http://www.amazon.com/ClosetMaid-289021-ShelfTrack-Closet-Organizer/dp/B0001BRSF8/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen)?

We have several of these sets, divided up among several closets. You could add another kit if you wanted to. It's not AMAZING and cool-looking, but it is SO versatile! I can change thins around often to accommodate various needs - like lots of shirts or longer dresses or buckets with stuff on the shelves or thin shelves for puzzles to be spread out...

Trying to imagine how to use that space behind or in front...hmmm.. Do you have big stuff to put on the sides or would shelving work well there? Could you use that space to store the big plastic bins of mom2mom sale stuff, out of the way, but still accessible?

niccig
09-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Trying to imagine how to use that space behind or in front...hmmm.. Do you have big stuff to put on the sides or would shelving work well there? Could you use that space to store the big plastic bins of mom2mom sale stuff, out of the way, but still accessible?

Because it's so big, you don't need all of it for your DD. I agree with maybe having plastic bins stacked on one side, or other things you need stored there - but in containers, so DD can't get into them. Maybe on a plastic stacking shelf, like you said you had in your closet. Then the other part of the closet can be for your DD. If you use a closet system that you can add on to, you can later on make the entire closet for your DD - but she'll have a lot of clothes to fill that up! Or just make the closet system the entire length, but one part of it has wider shelves to store things on - how strong are those shelves for big plastic bins?

I don't know about the space in front - I do think that might be dead space - you need to be able to get to the things on the shelves. I did pull DS's shoe rack to the front and behind it I put a collapsible washing basket for outgrown clothes. His closet system has a vertical wooden side that's in just the right spot for hitting your head when you reach the shoes if they were all back against the wall.

katydid1971
09-05-2010, 02:37 PM
If you go to the container store website they have a program that helps you plan out a closet. i used their plans and went to home depot and got parts that were the same sizes etc from the closet system. I have been very happy with it. FWIW I don't have a problem with container store they are just too far away from me.
https://www.containerstore.com/elfa/plan/getStarted.htm

KrisM
09-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I have closet envy. I think DD's is 41-48" wide.

Have you looked at closetmaid shelf-track system (http://www.amazon.com/ClosetMaid-289021-ShelfTrack-Closet-Organizer/dp/B0001BRSF8/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen)?

We have several of these sets, divided up among several closets. You could add another kit if you wanted to. It's not AMAZING and cool-looking, but it is SO versatile! I can change thins around often to accommodate various needs - like lots of shirts or longer dresses or buckets with stuff on the shelves or thin shelves for puzzles to be spread out...

We bought this house for the closets. Our old house was awful - the third bedroom's closet was about 20" wide with a sloped ceiling making the shelf useless. And the room was only 9x9.5 feet, so really awful for anything.

And, thanks! That is the system we had in our closets at our old house. I couldn't remember it at all. I liked it for the versitility.

I could do bins in there, but I'm afraid she'd just get into them. Maybe I'll just ditch the doors and make it all part of the room.

WatchingThemGrow
09-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Oh, I put DD's closet, when I meant that ALL our closets are that size. The boys', the coat, hers, and ours is 60". The linen closet is teensy too. That's ALL we have. We may have to move just for closet space.

I don't think I would take the doors off. That would likely be an eyesore with that much stuff in there, right? You think she would mess with a pile of big rubbermaid bins in a solid color? I could just tell my DD they are "full of dangerous stuff" and she'd totally leave them alone. I would try to find a way for them not to fall, though. Wonder if you could have a workman build shelves so you could put bins ON the shelves and be able to access them as well as be safer.

Another thought...if you do the shelftrack stuff and hang out of season clothes/toys/items on one side, you could put other stuff in front of it. Stuff that she could use more often, like a small bookshelf, one of those toy bins on sale at Target, the dollhouse, a baby nursery set, etc.

brittone2
09-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Not sure if this could be rigged for your bifold doors but saw and bookmarked this the other day from knockoffwood via ohdeedoh.

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/inspiration/the-most-amazing-closet-doors-weve-ever-seen-125435

KrisM
09-05-2010, 09:26 PM
I love that bifold door with shelves! How cool!

I am looking at this site and I like the mix of the Expedit and wire shelving: http://www.angryjuliemonday.com/content/closet-makeover/. I think something like this would work well.

After the sale in October, I'll be caught up to only current sizes outgrown being sold, and maybe I can use the Expedit to hold bins of things to sell.

I do think DD is curious and doesn't want to see her things sold, so I am not sure having it in her closet is the best of ideas. I'll have to think about that.

gatorsmom
09-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Sisi and Greenbean's closet sounds similar to yours. It's hard to use up all that front space (without piling stuff on the floor in the front- I have this problems too. :) ). I wish i knew how to post pictures but I can tell you some of the things that have worked well.

We have 2 shelves near the top of the closet that I store bins of clothes on. The nice thing about having a deep closet is that the bins can stick out which allows you to store more bins next to each other and still be able to close the doors. I like that the shelves and bins are up high because I can store bargain buys that I find for the next 4 sizes she will wear. Up high they are out of the way and no one can dig in them. below the bottom shelf is a bar and I have hanging 2 of these http://www.princelionheart.com/site_irl/n_sp_4005.html (I think I had recommended them once before and they are no longer made). But if I were going to buy something today, I'd get the closet Add-a-Rod from this set: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=533944&cmSource=Search It seems expensive for 2 of the rods, but I haven' found them separately sold anywhere else. And you could probably get one of those 6 shelf hanging things at Target for much cheaper then $29.

I hang most of my kids' clothes because I like to be able to see what clothes are available. By hanging their clothes, I really fill up the back wall of their closet. On the sides, I've put some heavy-duty hooks where I hang snowsuits and coats that I found on sale in their next sizes. There is even enough room, along the side facing INTO the closet to have some lower shelves. That's where I throw their clothes that they've outgrown.

hth.

Oh, ETA, I just put in the area in front of the hanging clothes, on the floor, just in front of our closet accordion doors, I big basket that I'm gradually throwing all their infant toys (rattles, teethers, etc.). Little by little, when we are playing in their room, I weed through the toy box in their room and toss infant toys into the basket. It's a nice spot to put this basket right now, but I don't plan on keeping it there. I love that I can close the closet doors in front of the basket and it "disappears." LOL

KrisM
09-06-2010, 07:49 AM
I tried to find that Prince Lionheart thing last year and it's not around any more.

I don't think I can do 2 rods, because it's too short. If I split the space, the rods would only be 29" apart, which is too short for dresses and would get tight for shirts quickly, I think. The rod right now is only 58" off the ground. I could move it up a bit and maybe that would work. She can get things on and off the one rod that is there now without a problem.

It's way too short for the 6 shelf thing. DS has one in his closet (cheapest place was Home Depot) and it would puddle on the floor in hers, unless I added some rods along the side.

I wonder though if I could raise the rod on half the closet and add a second hanging rod there and then use the other half for shelves and drawers.

WatchingThemGrow
09-06-2010, 08:07 AM
That expedit closet looks great! I've essentially created the same thing using 3 shelf bookshelves (http://www.amazon.com/Ameriwood-03113GM-3-Shelf-Bookcase-White/dp/B001AQ3XQQ) and the 3 shelf stacker things, similar to these (http://www.amazon.com/ClosetMaid-8512-Three-Shelf-Storage-Organizer/dp/B000AXO2CE/ref=pd_sim_dbs_k_5).

I found 3 of the bookcases on CL for $5 each and the seller also had 4 of the other skinny shelves for $10 for a set of 4 of them. So, for $25, I got a TON (7 pieces) of white shelving. Very, very good find. And, it only took ONE look on there to yield them!

KrisM
09-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Great CL deal! I will think about those, too. I like that I already have bins that fit in the Expedit and we can rearrange between them around the house if we need to.

I'm going to call the Container Store too. They don't have an online design, which is frustrating, because calling anyone with 3 kids is just too difficult, really. But, after 2 are in school, I can do it.

smilequeen
09-06-2010, 10:59 AM
We have walk in closets in the boys rooms. The bottom shelves I keep baskets for toys on them. Sometimes things get left on the floor, but the baskets do make it easier to put things back. We used a closet company to do our closets and it was totally worth it in the end. They both have one wall with a pull out basket type drawer on the bottom, a set of drawers above that, and shelves above the drawers. One wall is half hanging rods (two sets, but you can do 3 with smaller kids clothes and half shelves. One wall is just double hanging rods.

KrisM
09-06-2010, 08:15 PM
We have walk in closets in the boys rooms. The bottom shelves I keep baskets for toys on them. Sometimes things get left on the floor, but the baskets do make it easier to put things back. We used a closet company to do our closets and it was totally worth it in the end. They both have one wall with a pull out basket type drawer on the bottom, a set of drawers above that, and shelves above the drawers. One wall is half hanging rods (two sets, but you can do 3 with smaller kids clothes and half shelves. One wall is just double hanging rods.

I guess where I'm stuck is that while it's big enough to walk-in, it's not really a walk-in closet. The door is on the long wall, so it's more like a 4' deep reach-in closet. Plus, with the sloped ceiling the one long wall (across from the door) is giving me issues, since it's only 5.5' tall. I think 2 rods is pushing it and no way to do 3. It's long, so I will have to do rods on one part and shelves and drawers on other parts. I know some of the closet systems have pieces to go around corners, so that might work well to wrap it onto the side walls.

KrisM
01-05-2011, 09:08 AM
An update - we finially finished it up yesterday. Nothing much had been done in a few months. She plays in her closet with toys, so I wanted room in there for her. I moved a wire shelf in for toys that aren't being played with currently. The other end is for dress-up clothes. We had a place in the playroom, but she has way too many for that now. So, I put a tension rod up front to back and put in 2 sets of plastic drawers for all the accessories.

She hangs random clothes on the main bar and can reach that and the shelf now. I do need to clear a few things off the shelf still.

Toy side:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa81/khaselton/DSC00803.jpg

Dress-up clothes side:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa81/khaselton/DSC00804.jpg

From her room:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa81/khaselton/DSC00805.jpg