PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bjorn / Sling or Neither??

KiminNJ
09-05-2010, 01:50 PM
I first decided to register for a baby bjorn then realized that I would probably be soo uncomfortable in that contraption and started looking at the balboa adjustable sling Great idea to be able to keep hands free, but I'm reading a lot of reviews that baby doesn't seem to be comfortable or supported properly in the sling and you can't bend over b/c baby can obviously fall out. Are either of these really necessary; if so which one did you prefer or are both just a waste? Thanks!

bigpassport
09-05-2010, 02:58 PM
There are many baby carrier connoisseurs on this board who I am sure will be more helpful than I. Some parents and babies really take to baby-wearing and find carriers invaluable. There is a ton of information on this board about baby carriers. As for me, I tried a hand-me-down Baby Bjorn and it was very uncomfortable for me. I eventually got a Pikkolo and I love it. I also tried a Moby Wrap but it was way too hot for me to use for a summer baby in the desert. I had an opportunity to try a Baby K'Tan and I think that would have worked much better for me. I never tried a sling-type carrier.

citymama
09-05-2010, 02:59 PM
This is a million dollar question! Basically, it depends on the personality and commitment levels of parents and babies. We have no less than 6 sling/baby carrier options and use every one of them. Our 4 month old has only been in a stroller once. For other parents, a stroller is the primary way to get the baby around, and a carrier is an infrequent thing. Regardless of how often you use them, I think most importantly you have to make sure you take the time to learn how to use the carrier safely and correctly. Too many people get these at showers or second hand and don't use them correctly, with discomfort for baby and parents.

I suspect most people on these boards have at least one carrier - even if you don't use it outside the house, it's helpful while doing housework and errands inside the house. We have a Bjorn, along with a Maya Wrap, a Kangaroo Korner pouch, a BabyHawk mei tai, a Pikkolo and an Ergo. I am not familiar with the other sling you mentioned. The Bjorn is very well made and relatively easy to use. In my opinion, its best for short trips or use indoors, because otherwise it can strain the back if worn too long. I would look for a gently used one on Craigslist since there are so many floating around and they are pricey new.

resipsaloquitur
09-05-2010, 03:19 PM
When I had DS 6 years ago we got a sling and Bjorn. He hated the Bjorn and it was uncomfortable for me to wear. So I used the sling a lot but was always afraid he'd fall out. With DD I was given an Ergo and we love it. It is much more secure than a sling and I'm not always worrying about her falling out. They aren't cheap but to me they are worth it.

LadyPeter
09-05-2010, 03:25 PM
On the advice of the Places to Go: Carriers forum here, I bought a Sleepy Wrap (similar to a Moby) for my boy due in November, and registered for an Ergo. Both are easier on everyone's spine (mamas and babies) than a sling or Bjorn.

crl
09-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Check out the carrier forum here and/or the forums at the baby wearer website.

I would take a look at the new Becco Gemini carrier.

Catherine

jvs195
09-05-2010, 09:15 PM
As pps stated, it depends on parent and baby. With DS I had a Baby Bjorn and used it mostly for getting a few minutes of hands free time and getting things done around the house (only chance to vacuum and he loved it) With DD I decided to try other kinds of slings and either me or she were not able to find a comfort level with anything but the Bjorn so we used that again. Used it for vacuuming and laundry, at the beach and a few outings. Not a dedicated wearer but loved it when we used it.