PDA

View Full Version : Annual Rosh Hashanah thread

ThreeofUs
09-06-2010, 10:41 AM
DS1 wants a RH dinner, just like his classmates, again this year and I'm putting together my menu. Just found a wonderful plum cake recipe in the NYTimes online that I'm thinking of trying.

Tzimmies were a big hit last year, but my noodle kuchen was a flop.

Anyone got anything good they generally make for Rosh Hashanah? Care to share?

Beth24
09-06-2010, 05:56 PM
DS1 wants a RH dinner, just like his classmates, again this year and I'm putting together my menu. Just found a wonderful plum cake recipe in the NYTimes online that I'm thinking of trying.

Tzimmies were a big hit last year, but my noodle kuchen was a flop.

Anyone got anything good they generally make for Rosh Hashanah? Care to share?

I'm going to try the NYT recipe too! I'm making brisket and a really yummy noodle pudding if you'd like the recipe.

ThreeofUs
09-06-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm going to try the NYT recipe too! I'm making brisket and a really yummy noodle pudding if you'd like the recipe.

Can I have the recipe for both? I have no idea what brisket *is* (except as something I've eaten at other peoples' houses) and would love a good recipe. TIA!

Beth24
09-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Ok, I will post as soon as my baby goes to sleep! They are both really easy.

Beth24
09-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Ok, here are the recipes. Please PM me if you have any questions!

Brisket
1 large brisket, 5-6 lbs (I usually get them at Costco)
1 large sliced onion
1 package Lipton's Onion Soup Mix
1/2 package baby carrots
1/2 bag dried apricots
1/3 bag dried prunes
3 cups water
1 cup apple juice
3 sweet potatoes, cut into 1 inch slices

Place brisket in roasting pan over sliced onions and add liquids. Sprinkle with garlic powder and onion soup mix. Roast at 325 for 2 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, dried fruit and keep roasting until fork tender, another 1-3 hours. Remove brisket, veggies, dried fruit and separate fruit/veggies from brisket. Strain gravy and dispose onions. You can slice brisket and reheat with gravy on top.

Noodle Pudding

1 pound cooked noodles
6 eggs, beaten
1 16 oz. carton cottage cheese (low fat is okay)
2 1/2 cups milk (I use nonfat)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
Golden raisins-optional (I use)
Chopped apple-optional (I don't use)
1 stick butter (I use less)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients except for noodles. Add noodles to mixture.

Melt 1 stick butter (or less) in large (lasagna size) baking dish and pour into mixture, leaving a little in the dish. Add raisins and apple, if desired. Pour into baking pan. Sprinkle top with cinnamon.

Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

ThreeofUs
09-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Thank you!

TwoBees
09-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Here's another Brisket recipe:

1 3-lb brisket
1 envelope Lipton's dry onion soup mix
1 jar Heinz chili sauce
1 can coke
Potatoes and carrots

Rinse brisket and place in pan (I use a 9x13 pyrex dish)
Arrange cut potatoes and carrots around brisket
Mix together onion soup mix, chili sauce, and coke, and pour over meat
Cover tightly with foil and cook for 2 hrs at 350.**

(** I think this is the proper temp and time. I'm writing this recipe from memory, so I'll have to double check at home)

Slice diagonally and serve. YUM!

ThreeofUs
09-07-2010, 10:35 AM
My neighbor just called me from NY to give me this recipe! She says it's great for kids because it's so sweet.

Fairy
09-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Oh, I love you for starting this thread. Can I get a tzmmis recipe? Also, what is everyone serving, fully? I have never done Rosh Hashanah, I've just gone and eaten :-). I'm good with brisket, will probably pick up a kugel from the deli :bag, but the other stuff I wanna try to make. What are you all serving?

mikeys_mom
09-07-2010, 12:21 PM
I can't remember my detailed menus off-hand, but here is some of the dishes DH and I are preparing. This is for several meals, some with guests.

Chicken Soup
Pomegranite Chicken
Mediterranean Chicken - with apricots, prunes, carrots, garlic
Glazed pickled brisket
Beef Stew
Barley mushroom risotto
Mushroom tart
Sushi Pizza - appetizer
Ratatouile
Squash kugel
Green beans with crispy fried shallots
coleslaw salad
Apple cake

I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting, but that's most of it. We started cooking last night. Hopefully we can finish off tonight. Also, DH's grandmother makes gefilte fish for us from scratch for most meals.

HIU8
09-07-2010, 01:16 PM
We are doing brisket, grilled salmon, gefilte fish, salad, matzah ball soup, broccoli, sweet potatoes, apples, honey, no bake cookies, swirl cookies, cut fruit and chocolate pie.
No kugels this year. I just don't have the extra time for all the prep.

ThreeofUs
09-07-2010, 04:36 PM
We are doing brisket, grilled salmon, gefilte fish, salad, matzah ball soup, broccoli, sweet potatoes, apples, honey, no bake cookies, swirl cookies, cut fruit and chocolate pie.
No kugels this year. I just don't have the extra time for all the prep.

Wow - sounds fantastic! Are you cooking for a crowd, by any chance?

HIU8
09-08-2010, 10:09 AM
There are 11 people eating dinner at my house tonight. Not a crowd, just the normal number of family members. Truth is, I hate to cook for the holidays. I dread it every single year. When my mom comes we do even more cooking (ok, well, she does the cooking) and we have even more food.

Brisket is done. Pies are being made now. last minute stuff to happen tonight. Fruit salad is being brought etc...