PDA

View Full Version : Emotional stress, contractions...how to deal?

luckytwenty
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
To make a very long story short, I'm having some problems right now with my father, who is being a jerk. It's pretty bad. Anyway, since this all began unfolding over the weekend, I am getting some painful BH contractions. It's normal for me to have them (irregular, no pattern--I literally start to contract as I am told something insulting or unpleasant by him and they go away when I "recover") as I am starting my 8th month...but it also scares me a little. Anyone else notice BH contractions directly corresponding with arguments, stress, etc.? And how do you deal?? (Physically, I mean.) This isn't a problem that's going away anytime soon.

BigDog
09-07-2010, 04:20 PM
So sorry you are dealing with this. I was in the hospital with contractions at 32 weeks. It was due to a combination of things - extremely hot weather, overdoing it physically, and the emotional/physical stress of caring for a 160lb sick dog that we eventually had to put down during that same week. It was a lot going on. I forced myself to take it easy and stay off my feet for a few days and just relax. I know easier said than done, but the contractions eventually stopped. Good luck and I hope things get better for you.

LadyPeter
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
I've noticed that I start holding my breath when I'm stressed, and this ALWAYS leads to contractions, so now I'm more mindful of my breathing. This pattern "IN-2-3-4-OUT-2-3-4-5-6-7-8" works really well, both to prevent contractions and help ease them out if they start.

ThreeofUs
09-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Stress always did it for me. I'd have to retire to a dark room and meditate.

GL! It's hard - but you have to take care of yourself and your LO.

sste
09-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Well, in addition to my lunar theory, in the final weeks of my last pregnancy I had a bunch of things happen with my family which involved huge stress, people calling me hysterical, possible very bad consequences to a disabled sibling, my mother screaming at me and hanging up on me, etc. A few days into that I gave birth to DS via spontaneous water breaking at 38 weeks.

This pregnancy I told my family two months before my due date that I was under strict orders from my OB to avoid stress and I was going to be writing letters to them once per week. Which I have done. And it has been great - - I love not having them phone me to spew abuse!

Of course, now I am 41 weeks with no baby yet and DH and I were joking just today that perhaps I should call my mother. :)

luckytwenty
09-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I've noticed that I start holding my breath when I'm stressed, and this ALWAYS leads to contractions, so now I'm more mindful of my breathing. This pattern "IN-2-3-4-OUT-2-3-4-5-6-7-8" works really well, both to prevent contractions and help ease them out if they start.

Thanks! I tried that last night, in the middle of yet another bout of this family drama, and it worked.

It must be a pregnancy thing, but I'm a lot less willing to put up with crappy behavior right now. I have vague memories of going through this with my first pregnancy as well. Oh well!