PDA

View Full Version : Is this nothing...or something to be concerned about?

firstbaby
09-07-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm only 15 weeks, but the last couple of days have been a little rough. I feel like my heart is racing, and feel like I'm on edge. I'm not especially stressed about anything, but feel just anxious and a little short of breath. Is this normal or something to be concerned about? I was at the Dr. two weeks ago and my blood pressure and heart rate were great and my weight has been pretty steady - I don't think I've gained but a pound over the last three weeks. We did spend most of the weekend cleaning but I didn't use any chemicals and didn't do any heavy lifting. Thoughts?

LittleOnion
09-07-2010, 11:36 PM
I've experienced the heart racing for both pregnancies. Your body is working overtime and there are times you'll feel out of breath and on edge. If you are really concerned I would speak with your doctor just so you feel better about it.

Best of luck and don't forget to rest :)

elizabethkott
09-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Remember that your blood volume also increases with pregnancy, so your heart is going to be pumping a little overtime. :)
But yeah, mention to your doctor for your own piece of mind.

daisymommy
09-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I remember feeling like that too, and the doctor said it was due to the increased blood volume and my body adjusting to it, as well as hormonal changes causing the slight anxiety feeling. It did go away after a few weeks.

LadyPeter
09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
I was SO out of breath around the end of my first trimester. My mom looked at me like I was nuts, because I wasn't showing yet. Turns out your heart is pumping all the time like you're running a marathon...who wouldn't be winded?

♥ms.pacman♥
09-08-2010, 10:55 AM
i remember feeling like that too when i was pg with DS. i remember around 17weeks i went to the doc bc i was getting heart palpitations as well. but was checked out and it was all ok. apparently it's normal to have that at that stage in pregnancy, bc your heart has to pump more blood etc.

Kestrel
09-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I had this, too, and right about the same time as you.

My doc said to make sure that I was drinking enough water, to help with blood volume's increase ,and other than that, not to worry.

lil_acorn
09-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I had this too...out of breath - it lasted a few weeks and then my body adjusted.

PHBrow
09-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I've had shortness of breath (no palpitations) off and on throughout my pregnancy and had the same experience as you in terms of minimal weight gain and good BP stats at my OB checkups. I was training for a triathlon prior to pregnancy so I was in decent shape (even though admittedly I have completely dropped the ball on exercise since then).

It started early in the first trimester - eased up during the 2nd - and is back in full force now in my 3rd trimester (I'm at 33 weeks now). I pant like a dog sometimes just climbing the stairs to get to the upstairs of my home!

I read that shortness of breath occurs due to an increase of progesterone as well as a result of the growth of your uterus and the pressure that is put on your lungs and other organs. So it seems to be normal although definitely not fun!

Hope you get to feeling better.