PDA

View Full Version : Nursing Bras

marymoo86
09-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Ok - I think I probably know the answer to this question but will ask anyway.

Is there any reasonable way to guesstimate the change in breast size when your milk comes in? One of Target's daily deals is a nursing bra and of course it is size specific instead of a general s-xl.

Have grown about a cup size over the course of the pregnancy and was hoping to be able to reasonably guess what sizes could work to save some $$. Pipe dream?

SnuggleBuggles
09-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Possible pipe dream. Plus, I changed size during the course of my nursing. I was bigger the first 2-4 months then stabilized 1 cup size lower for the duration (pre-pregnancy size, in fact).

Beth

thelilprincess
09-08-2010, 03:10 PM
target has a 3 month return policy - so if your due date is before then, buy and keep tags on. before the 3 month mark, you can print your return receipt if needed.

ohiomom1121
09-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I remember buying ahead with my first pregnancy. The lady at Motherhood told me to buy 2 cup sizes up from my pregnancy size and I thought she was nuts. Turns out she was right...I wore that size for several months then went down a cup size for the rest of the time I nursed.

luckytwenty
09-08-2010, 03:18 PM
I get huge while pregnant but once my milk supply is steady, I'm only about a half cup size bigger than pre-preg. 34C/D when not nursing, 38DD-E max when pregnant, 34D/DD by 3 months PP.

citymama
09-08-2010, 03:21 PM
When are you due? If you're still many months away, don't even bother. If you're due next month, sure, you could estimate, hang on to receipts and tags and return or exchange for size if they don't fit.

I find the Target nursing tanks to be really comfy and not restrictive. Size-wise, I was able to buy the same as my regular size - small - and it fit fine. By contrast, the Sz Medium in Glamourmom seems a tad tight on me. I know you're looking at bras, not tanks, so this might not be as relevant to you!

marymoo86
09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Great info! Will order a couple of different sizes and hope something works. Worst case will just return as it is free shipping.

I'm due at the end of next month so will have time to return (or someone else will!)

oneontheway
09-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Just ordered one! Now I get to take back the one I bought in the store for full price last week.

newg
09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
both times I've gone from a solid B (not pregnant/nursing) to a solid D. The nursing bras I have are very stretchy and easily accomidate my varied size (full of milk vs. empty)

I personally have not found the target nursing bras to be as comfortable as other nursing bras I've tried on or worn. My current favorite are the Bravado nursing bras I have.
I do love their nursing tanks though and have quite a few!

Dr C
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Pre-Baby #1 I was a B cup. Went up to a C-D cup during pregnancy and stayed that way for first several months of nursing. Cup size depended on how recently the kid had eaten. Post nursing, became an A cup. With baby #2 went back to a C-D cup while pregnant and for the first few months of nursing and later in nursing went back to closer to an A cup.

I LOVE the target nursing tanks... and thought that I needed a real bra but they provide plenty of support and much needed coverage. They were fine when I was a D and now are fine when I am an A. So think about trying one or two of those.

sunnyside
09-09-2010, 01:47 AM
I"d never have been able to guess what my size was going to be. In fact, I'm 8 weeks post partum and I still am having trouble figuring it out!

lizzywednesday
09-09-2010, 08:23 AM
I love the Target nursing tanks, too, but, like a shelf bra in a regular cami, they don't give me enough support to wear out of the house. (Even pre-baby (pre-meeting DH) with B/C cup boobs a shelf bra just didn't do it for me, but I'm fairly picky about minimizing jiggle and maximizing lift.)

Of course, I'm sporting E/F cup boobage at the moment, so maybe that's got a lot to do with my perspective.

FWIW, I bought my first and only pre-delivery nursing bra a week before my DD was delivered and the professional bra fitter at the lingerie shop sized me correctly for the cup size I'd need when my milk came in, but she was WAY off on the band size (sold me a 42 band, but I'd been measuring a 38 or 40 through my entire pregnancy) and even while swollen post-C-section, the 42 was huge on me.

logan's mom
09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
I went from a 34B to a 36DD while nursing (first 6-7 months) and now I am a 36C (nursing only before bed and first thing in the morning.) I like the Target tanks for layering but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nummies nursing bras. http://www.nummies.com/

They are lightweight but thick enough to not show the outline of your nursing pad-they don't have any weird lace or embellishments and "grow" with you but are still supportive.

I paid $40 for the two that I have at a nursing boutique and so far the two I own have survived 13 months of nursing.

Other bras that I bought from Target, Motherhood, and Kohl's hurt the top of my breast once I started to get full.

luckytwenty
09-12-2010, 08:27 AM
I"d never have been able to guess what my size was going to be. In fact, I'm 8 weeks post partum and I still am having trouble figuring it out!

For me, I was a lot bigger at 8 weeks PP than I was at 12 weeks, but after that I stayed the same size until I weaned. If you're still losing weight, that will affect your band size, and of course it can take a while to adjust to the milk supply. I had sort of an oversupply problem for the first few months that made me larger than I was once I adapted.

wellyes
09-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I love the Target nursing tanks, too, but, like a shelf bra in a regular cami, they don't give me enough support to wear out of the house. (Even pre-baby (pre-meeting DH) with B/C cup boobs a shelf bra just didn't do it for me, but I'm fairly picky about minimizing jiggle and maximizing lift.)

Of course, I'm sporting E/F cup boobage at the moment, so maybe that's got a lot to do with my perspective.

I'm the same size and yeah, Target tanks are comfy but not supportive enough. I actually wear a little lightweight bra under mine. Which kind of defeats the purpose but hey, I have the thing, may as well wear it.

If you are well-endowed or plus-size the Bravado nursing bra (not tank) is a good go-to everyday bra.