PDA

View Full Version : How to cure toddler clinginess?

ourbabygirl
09-09-2010, 03:31 PM
So DD has always been clingy to me, had major stranger anxiety (even with the grandparents and friends & ECFE teachers that we would see once a week), and at least some separation anxiety (though I'm a SAHM so I haven't left her *that* often). I just kind of went with it and figured that's her personality, nothing I've tried has gotten her to ease up.
It hasn't been a big problem until the past few months, both when I'm hosting play dates at our house, and when we go to other peoples' houses (of kids she's known for almost 2 years). This summer every play date I've hosted or we've gone to, she's been incredibly clingy and basically only wants me to hold her, and doesn't go and play with toys or interact with the other kids until everyone's basically leaving. We've even left early a couple of times because she's been so fussy and clingy, and I figure 'What's the point of staying?' It's so frustrating because I really like hosting and going to play dates, and I don't want to have to become a hermit because of this!

So today I had another play date (I've really only had 1-2 a month), and she was *terrible* the whole time; fussy, clingy, crying, only wants to be held (she's almost 2 by the way!), won't eat her lunch, etc., etc. It's *so hard* because I'm trying to get food put out or make lunch for everyone, make our guests comfortable, etc.. She won't sit on the floor by where I am or stand in her LT when I'm cooking at the stove, her loveys and paci don't soothe her- nothing I do will help, so it's just a miserable time. She just cries when other moms take her and try to pacify her while I'm finishing things up in the kitchen.

Add in the problem that I'm due with a baby very soon, and DD is in for a RUDE AWAKENING. How am I going to do this? I'm not going to be able to hold her when I have a new baby to tend to... especially since I won't be bringing them to daycare or anything... how are we going to get through this?
Has anyone else been through this? How did you cure, or at least relieve, some of your toddler's clinginess? HELP! :bowdown:

TIA! :)