PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for bday present for 2 yo from grandparents

ourbabygirl
09-09-2010, 03:56 PM
that isn't something I could get cheaper myself (looking for sales, etc.)? ;)

I'd like to come up with some ideas to give my mom for DD's bday coming up, and also Christmas... maybe a 'bigger' gift that would be useful to her and also her little sibling(s) in the future (so not something 'girly'). Trouble is, my mom just buys things last minute, at regular retail stores... she never uses coupons or really buys used things (as gifts to the grandkids), and I feel bad because I can usually find that stuff cheaper, whether it's at garage or consignment sales, on Amazon or some other website, or at least with a coupon or a sale at a clothing or store like TRU. I'd really like to discourage her from getting clothes for DD, as she has enough already.... are there any tactful ways to do that?

The only things I can think of that would be cool for DD to get, and would be harder to get a discount on, are

tuition to a class like Music Together (a bit out of our price range lately),
a kids' magazine subscription, or
a kids' picnic table to have out on the patio (this would be helpful for play dates, too).

I'd love to have my parents contribute towards an outdoor play set, but I don't know that they'd be up for that (esp. since we won't be getting one til next summer or so, since they're so pricey).

Any other ideas? We have a baby due this fall, so if it were another class tuition, I would have to be able to take the baby along.
Suggestions for gender-neutral, multi-purpose toys that we can get a lot of use out of over the year(s)?

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

Babymakes3
09-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Since you aren't able to get the nice playset yet what about just doing a smaller version (like the little tikes version), perhaps you could find one on craigslist and have them pay for it. There is a Walmart deal in the Deals section here that is for a castle/slide. My ds is 2 and it's a blast for him. We keep it inside (see what i wrote in the other thread) but we sometimes take it out and he slides into the baby pool.

JBaxter
09-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Nathan got a kitchen from his grandparents at age 2. He loved it and played with it for several years now Jack is playing with it. Wagon w/ seats?

crl
09-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Tricycle?

Catherine

elektra
09-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Nathan got a kitchen from his grandparents at age 2. He loved it and played with it for several years now Jack is playing with it. Wagon w/ seats?

DD also got a play kitchen from my parents for her 2nd birthday. DS also loves it now too.

sunshine873
09-09-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm suggesting a balance bike for DD's 2nd b-day...