PDA

View Full Version : Question for FA moms - bday parties at school

MrsZaz
09-09-2010, 06:18 PM
DS2 turns 6 tomorrow. I want to go into school and bring a treat for the class. His class is a Peanut/tree nut free classroom plus they have a student that has an egg/dairy allergy. We have not been provided with a class list and I have no idea who these students are (which is fine). I'm trying to figure out what I can bring in for a treat. Any suggestions? The teacher said she would contact the mom of the egg/dairy allergy to see if she would provide a treat for her DC so I need something peanut free/tree nut free.

ANy help is appreciated.

Colleen

rlu
09-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Can't help but waiting for response. Last year there was a FA kid in class, but her mom sent a treat for her on the birthday/holiday party days (the teacher gave her a birthday list early on).

BTW, I hope "FA kid" is not offensive, it is just short-hand. I'm sure someone will let me know if I shouldn't use it, right?

crl
09-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Our after care has had success with Popsicles being acceptable for nut, egg and milk allergy kids. It is going to depend on the individual product--sometimes products are made on equipment that also processes nuts, etc and many allergic kids can't run the cross-contamination risk.

If it is possible to ask, the moms of the kids with food allergies might be able to give suggestions.

Thank you for thinking about this!
Catherine

justlearning
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM
If you wanted to bake something that could work for all of the kids, there are many completely vegan (i.e., dairy free and egg free) cupcake or cake recipes that also are nut-free. Here's an example of one: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/egg-free-dairy-free-nut-free-cake/Detail.aspx. There are probably store-bought vegan, nut-free cupcakes too but they're probably pricey and only at specialty health stores.

As a mom of an FA child, I do send in cupcakes for my son to keep in the freezer--the teacher then takes one out on the days of kid's birthdays just to be sure it's safe. For his preschool, I allowed him to eat what was brought in because they only allowed store-bought products (nothing homemade) that had no nuts and weren't processed on a plant with nuts, etc.

I personally feel more comfortable with store-bought products because they come with a label that can be read whereas a mom might intend to make a nut-free brownie but accidentally forget and dump some walnuts in them. (I'm absent-minded sometimes so I can see how that could happen!)

alien_host
09-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I know you didn't ask about this but would you be open to a non-food treat? Go in and read a special book to the class? Pencils and erasers? Stickers?

As a mom with a FA child, I preferred non-food treats.

But in preschool I kept a safe food box for DD and IF the teacher notified me beforehand I would send a safe cupcake. Not to offend, but I would not let my DD eat a cupcake another parent prepared, even if they swore it was nut free b/c I have no idea how they keep their kitchen and perhaps they made some peanut butter cupcakes in the pan recently and left some nut residue.

Since it is tomorrow, if you had more time, you could find out from the parents what would be OK or at least let them know to bring their own safe treat (which is very common). The issue might be that there is no safe treat for the allergic kids since it is so early in the year etc.

MrsZaz
09-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the responses - unfortunately we have not been given a class list yet and I don't know who the children are with FA's. I would have brought cupcakes in but I'm to nervous to do that. We eat a lot of nuts/peanuts/peanut butter here and I wouldn't feel confident (even though I would wash everything) that there would be cross contamination at some point.

I like the idea of popsycles - is there a brand I should look for? Mom's of FA's: if something doesn't say specifically that it is made on equipment/shares equipment that also produces nut products are you comfortable with that or can there be an ingredient listed that would raise a red flag with you?

Sorry for so many questions but I am new to this and don't want to make a mistake. I'm going to talk to my DS and see if he would mind sharing bubbles as a treat with his class or something like that.

Thanks for your help
Colleen

alien_host
09-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Philly Swirl brand is made in a nut free facility (check the box, one variety has a nut warning). I'm not sure on the dairy though...check the website it had lots of info.

crl
09-09-2010, 07:15 PM
If you are up for a non food treat that might be ideal under the circumstances. I know my kid LOVES the temporary tattoos.

I did Popsicles, but I took in the empty box a couple of days ahead so the FA moms could read the label and decide for themselves if it was safe. I don't remember the brand, sorry. I've also done soy icream sandwiches, but again let the moms check the label in advance.

Catherine

almostamom
09-09-2010, 07:15 PM
If you are only dealing with a peanut/tree nut allergy, Rice Krispy Treats, Krispy Kreme Donuts, and some popsicles (you'll need to read the labels) are safe for my son with peanut/tree nut allergies to eat. Wal-Mart also sells mini-cupcakes that have a label on the bottom that specifically states they are made in a nut-free facility. I don't have any of those on hand to check for dairy/egg though. My guess would be that the popsicles would be your best bet.

I also provide DS' teachers with a safe treat (Rice Krispy Treats) to keep in the classsrom for him just in case someone brings in a treat that is not safe for him to eat.

Linda

alien_host
09-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I am ok w/ Popsicle brand plain (cherry, orange, grape) popsicles, but agree w/ pps, bring the box.

DD is peanut/ tree nut and was egg.

bubbaray
09-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Popsicle brand here in Canada has a "may contain" warning on the label -- our labels tend to be more detailed than those in the US. I don't give my peanut/treenut allergic girls Popsicle brand anything in the US or Canada.

Is the teacher Ok with you bringing in food?? Last year, our K teacher specifically asked parents not to -- for the FA issue, but also so she d/n deal with a class of kids jacked up on sugar.

If you want to take food, I would take a fruit plate and some cute napkins or plates.

I think stickers or something is probably the better way to go, though. I know our teachers do NOT like food of any sort for b-days, Halloween, Christmas, Easter etc -- they prefer pencils, erasers, stickers, etc..

SnuggleBuggles
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM
What about fruit skewers? Or get some apples, cut them up, sprinkle them in cinnamon sugar and bake for 8 minutes at 350 then serve with honey. Those are delicious!

I don't like non food goodies and both boys' schools say no to them.

Beth

MamaMolly
09-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Sorry for so many questions but I am new to this and don't want to make a mistake.

I :heartbeat: you for this! :kisscheek:

Corie
09-09-2010, 09:46 PM
In our school in Rhode Island, we had to bring in commercially made food items,
nothing homemade. These way the school/teacher could read the food labels.
(You could also do non-edible treats though.)

At my son's school here in Ohio, they don't allow ANY food items to be brought
in for birthdays. Treats must be non-edible.

purpleeyes
09-09-2010, 09:58 PM
What about fruit skewers? Or get some apples, cut them up, sprinkle them in cinnamon sugar and bake for 8 minutes at 350 then serve with honey. Those are delicious!

Beth

yes, yes! These are great ideas. Honestly, as a FA mom, I am not comfortable with DD eating homemade treats b/c I can't be sure of cross contamination-there may be residue that you don't even realize.

Commercial treats are good b/c teachers can read the labels. But, really, I just send in a box of treats that DD can have when there is a birthday.

Thank you for your questions and concerns!! It is a breath of fresh air for FA families...

C99
09-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I would do a non-food treat. My 2nd grader's class has a food allergic-child in it, but even if it didn't, there's a strict no-food policy at school. I'm fine with that. My child really does not need candy/cookie/cupcake every time someone has a birthday. That's basically one/week.

KpbS
09-09-2010, 10:08 PM
My FA child has brought Jello to school for years to celebrate his birthday and his teachers keep some on hand (prepackaged, of course) for other's birthdays. We buy the Hunt's Snack Pack kind that come in Strawberry and Orange (a 4 pack).

Thank you for thinking of our FA kids! :) :hug:

SnuggleBuggles
09-09-2010, 10:13 PM
yes, yes! These are great ideas. Honestly, as a FA mom, I am not comfortable with DD eating homemade treats b/c I can't be sure of cross contamination-there may be residue that you don't even realize.

You are right about cross contamination risks and forgot to mention that I would probably do a packaged product instead if I was dealing with FAs in the class. My mind just went to healthy food and forgot about the other part!

Beth

DrSally
09-09-2010, 10:52 PM
I'll echo pp's and say packaged food (and bring in the box). If you're only dealing with the peanut/nut allegy--rice krispies (plain), Keebler animal cookies (frosted only, not unfrosted), Keebler grasshopper, fudge stripped or choc covered graham cookies. Anything from Keebler you can trust the labe, they'll label if there's a X-contamination issue.

Cut up fruit is an excellent idea. Maybe incl toothpicks for eating.

Definitely check the label, but the problem is that not every company labels for X-contamination. For example, nothing from Entemanns is safe, but they don't have a X-contamination label.

If you have TJ's nearby--yogurt stars and snickerdoodles are nut free and very good.

DrSally
09-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Wal-Mart also sells mini-cupcakes that have a label on the bottom that specifically states they are made in a nut-free facility.

Do you remeber the brand of the cupcake? I have yet to find one that is nut free.

kristenk
09-09-2010, 10:56 PM
I'd go with a non-food treat. DD's school drills into parents that food treats are NOT preferred. If you feel like you absolutely must send in a food treat, each one must be individually wrapped/sealed (homemade but in a sealed zip bag is fine) and they will be passed out at the end of the day to be put directly in backpacks. The same thing happens with non-food treats, but no worries about them being sealed!

Last year, DD received a birthday pencil from one child and a set of jacks from another. I think those were the only 2 who did bday treats.

MrsZaz
09-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Thank you for all of your comments. I think pre-packaged would be the way to go. But I have this little voice in my head telling me it might be better to get a small thing of bubbles for everyone and call it a day.

I'm trying to think if it was my child that had an FA would I want them to eat something provided by another mom. Even if the product says it has no nuts/peanut free...I don't know, the child may have already been taught to refuse something given to them by another person. GRRRRRR I want to do the right thing for everyone....if only my DS had been born on time (October vs September), I could get more information from the FA moms before his birthday.

Thanks to all who replied.

Colleen

MrsZaz
09-09-2010, 11:18 PM
I :heartbeat: you for this! :kisscheek:

Aww shucks...thanks MamaMolly

lmintzer
09-09-2010, 11:20 PM
How 'bout Rice Krispite Treats? These work for my son who has a nut and an egg allergy. The only thing you need to make sure of is that you use real marshmallows (and not fluff). The fluff contains egg white.

alien_host
09-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I wanted to also say thank you for asking the questions and being concerned, it def. Is nice to see as a FA mom :)

MrsZaz
09-09-2010, 11:26 PM
How 'bout Rice Krispite Treats? These work for my son who has a nut and an egg allergy. The only thing you need to make sure of is that you use real marshmallows (and not fluff). The fluff contains egg white.

Just want to be clear - rice krispie treats from scratch NOT the ones you buy in a box at the grocery store. Right?

Colleen

bubbaray
09-09-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't know, the child may have already been taught to refuse something given to them by another person.

This is what my girls have had drilled into them. No food from anyone else unless DH or I are there to check.

crl
09-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I would only do store bought food, honestly. And rice krispy treats don't work for a milk allergy, although I think you weren't trying for that.

I really encourage the non food treat.

Catherine

DrSally
09-10-2010, 12:10 AM
It might be safer to just do a non food treat. But, there should be a procedure in place for this. Bdays happen all the time in school. Any number of things could occur. The teacher could call the mom and tell her what treat was brought in and/or the teacher could check the ingred. There could be a list of "preapproved" snacks to bring (this is what DD's preschool does). There could be some safe treats in reserve for FA kids. Since I drop off DS at preschool, I check all snacks, which gives me an extra feeling of safety. I also talk with teachers ahead of time about special events and bdays, so that we can either get a peanut free snack or I can know to send something with DS that day.

alien_host
09-10-2010, 12:22 AM
You mentioned a dairy allergy, the prepackaged Rice Krispie Treats have MILK, I just checked our box.

DrSally
09-10-2010, 12:27 AM
You mentioned a dairy allergy, the prepackaged Rice Krispie Treats have MILK, I just checked our box.

I think she said that she just has to watch out for peanuts/nuts, and the mom of the milk/egg FA child will bring their own treat. If OP specifically does want to get something wo/milk as well, Nabisco MINI fig newtons (the reg size have whey) are milk free last time I checked. You can get them in indiv packs. They were one of the few packaged treats DS could have when he had a milk allergy. Also, the snickerdoodle cookies at TJ's (or the Enjoy Life brand at WF and elsewhere) are free of the top 10 allergens.

alien_host
09-10-2010, 12:38 AM
I think she said that she just has to watch out for peanuts/nuts, and the mom of the milk/egg FA child will bring their own treat. If OP specifically does want to get something wo/milk as well, Nabisco MINI fig newtons (the reg size have whey) are milk free last time I checked. You can get them in indiv packs. They were one of the few packaged treats DS could have when he had a milk allergy. Also, the snickerdoodle cookies at TJ's (or the Enjoy Life brand at WF and elsewhere) are free of the top 10 allergens.

I missed that,sorry, I thought milk and egg were still an issue.

how about applesauce or Dole peach cups? Although they don't scream treat.

Fruit gummies? Earth's best lollipops?

almostamom
09-10-2010, 01:21 AM
Do you remeber the brand of the cupcake? I have yet to find one that is nut free.

It's a Walmart brand. There are 12 mini cupcakes in a container. It's sold in the bakery department. They come in either vanilla or chocolate with colored buttercream frosting and sprinkles. The label on top reads:

The
Bakery
at Walmart

The nutrition label on the bottom specifically states that it's made in a nut free facility. There's a picture of a peanut with a red line through it.

HTH,

Linda

Fairy
09-10-2010, 02:32 AM
Just imagine for the folks in a school that keeps kosher, you can't bring in Rice Krispies cuz the marshmellows aren't kosher, either. Talk about a challenge! So, here's what I've done in the past:

Applesauce. Mott's Healthy Harvest, do a flavored one.
Jello Cups. Not kosher, but I brought in something else for the kosher kids
Non-Food Goodie Bags, including little play doh's and stickers

These are my suggestsions, but I also love the popsicle idea, and flavorice is especially fun.

Good luck!

naam
09-10-2010, 09:20 AM
As the mom of a kid with food allergies, I'd just ask that you bring in something that doesn't contain peanuts/nuts (as it is a nut-free class). My son always has a box of safe treats (as most kids with food allergies do). Even when treats that are supposed to be safe for him are brought in, we (he, his teacher, and I) feel more comfortable just giving him something from his treat box. You never know if something was labeled poorly and you don't want to be responsible for someone's reaction.

bubbaray
09-10-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't like non food goodies and both boys' schools say no to them.

Really? Pencils and erasers aren't OK? Our school and daycare REALLY almost push for non-food goodies.

They don't like food partly for the FA reason, but also there is a huge push here (from the Ministry of Education) regarding foods in schools (no pop, juice, junk food etc in vending machines). Healthy eating is part of the curriculum, even in K, so they don't want sugary stuff like cupcakes or other sweet treats to be part of the school day.

SnuggleBuggles
09-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Really? Pencils and erasers aren't OK? Our school and daycare REALLY almost push for non-food goodies.

They don't like food partly for the FA reason, but also there is a huge push here (from the Ministry of Education) regarding foods in schools (no pop, juice, junk food etc in vending machines). Healthy eating is part of the curriculum, even in K, so they don't want sugary stuff like cupcakes or other sweet treats to be part of the school day.

Ds2's school doesn't want you to do anything unless it is something like coming in to read to the class. They make a b-day snack there. They don't want stuff and I am not sure why.

I actually just looked in ds1's handbook and it doesn't say anything about it. Must have imagined it.

Beth

DrSally
09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
It's a Walmart brand. There are 12 mini cupcakes in a container. It's sold in the bakery department. They come in either vanilla or chocolate with colored buttercream frosting and sprinkles. The label on top reads:

The
Bakery
at Walmart

The nutrition label on the bottom specifically states that it's made in a nut free facility. There's a picture of a peanut with a red line through it.

HTH,

Linda

Thanks so much! We are getting a "super Walmart" here, so I will definitely look for them. I had no idea. We usually stay away from baker items.

MrsZaz
09-10-2010, 12:07 PM
OK...I went with a small conatiner of play dough (the ones that are out for Halloween ruight now) with a lollipop attached with a sticker that read 'take a lick, because today I'm 6'. I think normally the teacher has a better handle on party arrangements but we have only been in school 6 days and one of those was early dismissal.

Thanks to all who replied. I greatly appreciate your input.

Colleen

crl
09-10-2010, 12:27 PM
OK...I went with a small conatiner of play dough (the ones that are out for Halloween ruight now) with a lollipop attached with a sticker that read 'take a lick, because today I'm 6'. I think normally the teacher has a better handle on party arrangements but we have only been in school 6 days and one of those was early dismissal.

Colleen

Awesome. Thanks so much for thinking of the FA kids!

Catherine

alien_host
09-10-2010, 01:04 PM

Colleen

That sounds like a GREAT birthday treat!

bubbaray
09-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Awesome. Thanks so much for thinking of the FA kids!

:yeahthat:

:cheerleader1:

DrSally
09-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Sounds good! I'm sure they were excited. What type of lolipops did you use?

Fairy
09-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Sounds pretty perfect to me!