PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready for some football??

TwinFoxes
09-09-2010, 08:42 PM
I love football, but I know that feeling is not in the majority on this board. I'm typing this while watching the Thursday night game. So, how do you feel about the upcoming pro season? (Go Chargers!)

Poll coming...wait for it...

Twoboos
09-09-2010, 08:48 PM
I am ready for the season to START!! Not this pre-season waste of my time foolishness. The REAL season.

Football season was my mom's favorite time of year. So much so that when she found out I was due with DD1 - her first grandchild - in the fall, she said, "Please don't have the baby anytime on a Sunday or a Monday night." :hysterical:

DDs have their Patriots shirts ready to go!!! GO PATS! :cheerleader1:

momof2girls
09-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I don't like football and DH likes it but it does not take over his entire life. I don't even understand how the game is played or any of the rules. All I see is a bunch of guys running into each other, seconds later a whistle is blown and they line up and do the same thing over again.

c&j04
09-09-2010, 08:53 PM
:cheerleader1:
GO PATS!!!!!
:cheerleader1::cheerleader1:

mom2binsd
09-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Does this answer your question??? Go VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boolady
09-09-2010, 08:58 PM
I love football more than DH, who has bad associations with being in marching band in HS, LOL. It reminds me of fall, great weather, and just an all-around fun time. That said, I did not watch one game last year because I am a lifelong Eagles fan, but I just can't stomach that they signed Michael Vick. This is not intended to start a debate--I understand that some feel that he's served his time, let him play again. I just disagree that he's an appropriate role model for kids, particularly given the way professional athletes are put up on a pedestal these days. His behavior since being an Eagle, including the shooting of one of his animal cruelty co-defendants at his own birthday party at a club, has done nothing to convince me he's really changed his ways.

arivecchi
09-09-2010, 08:59 PM
I used to hate football but DH converted me. :) GO BEARS GO BEARS GO BEARS!!!

JanBaby
09-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Does this answer your question??? Go VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love it! Go Vikes!

Penny's Pappa
09-09-2010, 09:02 PM
More a college football fan myself. GO BUCKS!!

mom2binsd
09-09-2010, 09:04 PM
DH has worked for the Dolphins and then for the Chargers for 8 years, but his true love is the Vikings despite having grown up surrounded by Bears fans here in IL....

I love college and pro football, almost as much as hockey.

I agree, I think football and watching it is as much a social event as a sporting event!!!!!!! I love fall and tailgating!!!

JBaxter
I have no highschool football this year :( SO sad I LOVE to watch the "kids" play. I voted other. I like some games but it gets old close to the end of the season for me.

I dont have one team I follow BUT
DH - Raiders
Logan - Eagles
Connor -Jets
and now
Nathan - Steelers ( his brothers have convinced him that the quarterback is Worthlessbooger)

ETA-- Dh is a Fresno State and Georgia Grad so Go Bulldogs! X2

KrisM
Neither DH nor I watch it much, but were thinking we should expose DS to it, just so he can learn some basics :).

scrooks
09-09-2010, 09:09 PM
:yeahthat:

hillview
09-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I said neither of us like it but DH will watch it at times for a bit if it happens to be on as he is flipping around. Neither of us sit down to watch it.
/hillary

mommylamb
09-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Well, football in my house has a black and white ball :wink2: Neither of us watches American football. DH will occasionally watch baseball, but it's the only American sport that appeals to him.

Octobermommy
09-09-2010, 09:28 PM
I LOVE me some football. My dh likes college football more while I like the NFL more. I went in to labor with dd at 1 am after watching Monday night football. It is my favorite sport. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday are football days. I think I fell in love with the game bc I would watch it with a bowl of popcorn with my grandmother. Both my grandmas were big sports fans.

babychi
09-09-2010, 09:35 PM

I definitely prefer college football and cheer on my beloved Buckeyes every Saturday! DH likes pro football more but will gladly watch college games too. Football is on all weekend long at our place...starting with College Gameday on Saturday mornings and ending with the Sunday night NFL game.

I love this season...cooler weather, pretty leaves and FOOTBALL! :)

MelissaTC
09-09-2010, 09:42 PM
We have a family pro pick 'em league and we love it. It keeps us in touch with our family members and it gives the winner bragging rights.

Go Giants!!!!
and the Jets too. Shhh!!! Don't tell DH. ;)

tmahanes
09-09-2010, 09:44 PM
I have no highschool football this year :( SO sad I LOVE to watch the "kids" play.

:yeahthat: This is the first time since I graduated HS 10 years ago that I am not working College/or HS games....... I miss it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!

WolfpackMom
09-09-2010, 09:53 PM
PATS! PATS! PATS!!

I grew up watching the Patriots, I remember them sucking when I was kid, but we still loved them. I LOVE football. DH didnt watch football until he met me and was forced to and now he is obsessed (to the point it starts to annoy me a little). Both Pro and College, Im a fan!

LMPC
09-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Another college fball fan here!! I was actually born in the university hospital on Alabama's campus (or as my family calls it "THE university"). So GO BAMA!!!

DH is British, so he could care less -- I love "real" football, too -- so he puts up with my desire to watch a little college ball in the fall.

tmahanes
09-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Another college fball fan here!! I was actually born in the university hospital on Alabama's campus (or as my family calls it "THE university"). So GO BAMA!!!

DH is British, so he could care less -- I love "real" football, too -- so he puts up with my desire to watch a little college ball in the fall.

One of my best friends is a Bama grad so I am a converted fan from watching so much!!! They had the cutest counting board book at Books A Million the other day. It was the Alabama helmet and had the elephant and everything. I think I have to go back and get it!!

mom2binsd
09-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I definitely prefer college football and cheer on my beloved Buckeyes every Saturday! DH likes pro football more but will gladly watch college games too. Football is on all weekend long at our place...starting with College Gameday on Saturday mornings and ending with the Sunday night NFL game.

I love this season...cooler weather, pretty leaves and FOOTBALL! :)

DH is heading to Columbus tomorrow, but he'll be cheering on the Canes, looking for some redemption (the Fiesta Bowl where the Canes were cheated out of a National Championship.....we were there, celebrating and then about 5 min later the ref throws a flag....) Boy those Buckeye fans are everywhere, a bunch of our friends here are rabid fans, and it's fun rivalry.

KpbS
09-09-2010, 10:14 PM
DUNH...DUHN...DUHN...DUHN!!!! Woohoo! DH loves the NFL enough for all of us ;) I enjoy it but do grow weary around the end of December. DH's team is the Colts.

Melbel
09-09-2010, 10:27 PM
We love both college and pro football here. :cheerleader1:

mom2binsd
09-09-2010, 10:37 PM
What a cute little Gator fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JMS
09-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I voted other. I don't cheer for our home town team.. they always seem to disappoint me and make stupid decisions. Please no one call me out on this b/c I really don't know enough to form any sort of education opinion. DH watches the NFL. I actually like college football especially the Boston College games (I graduated from BC in 1996).

eta: I have a funny but warm childhood memory of cuddled up and taking naps on our den floor on cool, fall afternoon days with the sound of football announcers' voices speaking in the background.

wallawala
09-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Goooooooooo GATORS!!

We're a "mixed-marriage" household. DH and I both pull for different SEC teams. It's a brutal saturday that they play each other... but I've been on the winning end for YEARS!

Football makes me rabid! Going to raise DD to appreciate the game.

Speaking of... Melbel WHERE DID YOU GET THAT GATOR DRESS!?!?!? Beyond cute and your DD is goregeous!! It's hard to be so far away from "the swamp".

sarahsthreads
09-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Go Bills!

(Someday they'll stop losing games in the last 2 minutes in some heartwrenching, suspense-filled manner, right?)

Sarah :)

ilfaith
09-09-2010, 11:14 PM
I like football...as does DH. But we don't live for football season. We actually have season tickets to the Jaguars (although I rarely get to more than one or two games...DH usually takes one of the boys or a friend or business colleague). I suppose we bought the tickets more because supporting our local team is beneficial to our local economy (fact is, we are both really Giants fans...but it's a lot tougher to get tickets to their home games). If the Jags are away, we might watch a game together on a Sunday afternoon, but certainly don't plan our weekend around it.

College football is huge here (Gator country...although we've got some 'Noles and Georgia fans around too). My college hasn't had a good football team in a decade or so (at least we have basketball and lacrosse), and DH's school didn't win a game the whole four years he was an undergrad.

Melbel
09-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Goooooooooo GATORS!!

Speaking of... Melbel WHERE DID YOU GET THAT GATOR DRESS!?!?!? Beyond cute and your DD is goregeous!! It's hard to be so far away from "the swamp".

What a cute little Gator fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! We think that DD2 is so cute cheering for our beloved Gators! We will get to see Tim Tebow play in Jax this Sunday. The last 2 years, we found her dresses on etsy, both of which we loved. Last year's dress was a monogrammed pillowcase dress from ChicKidBoutique. http://www.etsy.com/transaction/33324134 This year's dress is from mekokids, but they are temporarily closed due to vacation. http://www.etsy.com/shop/mekokids

DietCokeLover
09-09-2010, 11:20 PM
I can't stand pro football. But I'll occasionally watch a college game.

Beth24
09-09-2010, 11:45 PM
I prefer college football too! I am much more of a fan than my husband, but my 12 yo son and I have a good time watching together!

rlu
09-10-2010, 12:28 AM
It's been in my signature for a while now, we're fans here. DS too, but he's not allowed to play it when he gets older (DH has a broken back, arthritis in the knuckles, bad knees and bad ankles from playing 4 years high school ball - he's been in pain every day I've known him for the last 22 years).

elektra
09-10-2010, 12:48 AM
I could take it or leave it. That is a great way to describe how I feel about football. I have many friends and family that are into it, and I will watch with them but I never really plan anything around watching. But I do get into games sometimes if it's already on.
DH is a Bears fan and he got to do some cool football things this year (ex. he went to the Superbowl) so he was pretty happy about that, but I really didn't have a desire to join him.

ellies mom
09-10-2010, 12:51 AM
I enjoy watching football with my husband. I understand the game and the rules. That said, I do not normally watch games when he isn't home. Every Sunday, I dutifully ask how his fantasy football team is doing and then follow-up on Monday if necessary. He's a Bears fan; I'm a Patriots fan.

KHF
09-10-2010, 07:53 AM
I voted "Other" because I like football and have watched with and without DH...but I wouldn't say I *love* it. I pretty much only watch NFL and then...only Bengals games. DH is a lifelong Bengals fan, so has a love/hate relationship with football and the team. He watches other teams too though. I've only been in Cincinnati for the last 12 years, so I haven't endured a lifetime of disappointment like the other Bengals fans :)

weech
09-10-2010, 07:59 AM
I love football! DH definitely got me into it, but now I love watching and I have two fantasy football teams.

GO RAVENS!

and Redskins... but they're pretty terrible :bag maybe McNabb will save them!

wencit
09-10-2010, 08:27 AM
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area during the 80's, so needless to say I'm a huge Niners fan. I actually know more about football than DH. Unfortunately I've since moved away and don't get any coverage on the Niners anymore, but I'm cheering them on from 3000 miles away. :)

ThreeofUs
09-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Like it, but have absolutely no time to watch it. Maybe in another decade or so.... ;)

lizzywednesday
09-10-2010, 08:40 AM
J! E! T! S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

DH, DD and I have our jerseys washed & ready to go for Monday night. (#12 Joe Namath throwback for him, #6 Mark Sanchez for DD and I.)

But I didn't always feel this way - my dad isn't much of a sports fan, so football, basketball and baseball seasons went largely unnoticed in our house.

Oh, and I'm enthused that COLLEGE FOOTBALL has returned as well, though it means I have to replace DD's Rutgers gear ... because, try as I might, I can't bring myself to dress her in the WVU Mountaineers tee DH's friend gave her in June.

jse107
09-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Huge Nittany Lions fans here. I'll also route for the Bills and the 'Skins...

Twoboos
09-10-2010, 08:45 AM
There seem to be a lot of Pats fans on here. Love it!! :yay:

Carrots
09-10-2010, 09:20 AM
I am in the minority here. I HATE football. I hate everything about it, from the sound of helmets crashing together and whistles blowing, to the announcer's voices and cheerleaders. I hate the lists of players and stats I find all over the house from DH's fantasy football team. I hate the phonecalls we get from DH's nervous nelly friend asking for trade advice. I.HATE.FOOTBALL.

My deep hatred comes from DH's obsession with football. I grew up in a "take it or leave it" household. My dad would watch games here and there, but if something needed to be attended to, like raking leaves or doing something around the house, that came first. DH's family are die hard Giants fans (hello? we live in Massachusetts!) and their lives come to a hault on Sundays. His passion for the Giants and football in general takes up his life. If we do anything on a Sunday we have to be home/finished by 1:00 for the games and then he sits there all day and night watching. I just don't get it.

Luckily, we have come to an agreement regarding Sundays. He watches the kids, while I have "Kristen Time". I go usually shopping. ;)

boogiemomz
09-10-2010, 09:42 AM
GO BEARS GO BEARS GO BEARS!!!

:yeahthat: :cheerleader1: DH and I memorized the super bowl shuffle a few years back when they went to the super bowl. We performed our own halftime show. :rotflmao: It's not particularly gratifying to be a Bears fan, but we're faithful. :)

My HS team was really good at football, we won the state championship my freshman year. So I learned the rules and the point of the game in HS and have loved it ever since. I agree that it's super-boring and tedious if you don't know what's going on--but once you grasp the basic premise of the game, it's SO exciting!! My undergrad was at a big basketball school, football is pretty weak, but going to football games is still one of my favorite memories from college. Beautiful weather, it's an all-day affair, tailgating, beer, parties... good stuff. Love it.

maestramommy
09-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Don't follow it, completely forgot the season was starting until I saw this post:p

ETA: just saw arrivechi's post lol. The Bears winning the superbowl was the only year I watched football. We LOVED the superbowl shuffle, even the guys that couldn't rap, couldn't dance, and were just trying hard!

fivi2
09-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I enjoy college football, can't stand pro!

PAfirsttimemom
09-10-2010, 11:08 AM
I grew up a Penn State fan--my dad has had season tix for years. I have many great memories of tailgating with friends and family on a brisk, sunny Saturday overlooking a fall-colored Mount Nittany. Good times. Then there's nothing like the excitement of being inside a packed Beaver Stadium with the capacity crowd cheering for their Nittany Lions. WE ARE...PENN STATE! Look out you 'Bama fans. You're going down tomorrow! :cheerleader1:

Being from Eastern PA, we also root for the Eagles, but neither me nor DH is so diehard that we have to catch every minute of every game. I agree with one of the other posters that the din of an NFL game makes for nice background napping noise. :-)

Beckylove
09-10-2010, 11:12 AM
I love college football- Go Huskers!

I like the NFL- I've been a Broncos fan as long as I can remember.

I hate that DH plays fantasy football-- I just think it is stupid to cheer for the running back on a team you hate, etc. And I would like to watch a game I'm interested in, not flip channel to channel to see which of his guys are going to score next.

babychi
09-10-2010, 11:46 AM
DH is heading to Columbus tomorrow, but he'll be cheering on the Canes, looking for some redemption (the Fiesta Bowl where the Canes were cheated out of a National Championship.....we were there, celebrating and then about 5 min later the ref throws a flag....) Boy those Buckeye fans are everywhere, a bunch of our friends here are rabid fans, and it's fun rivalry.

Ahhh...Miami fans still crying about that championship game, huh?! ;) Should be a good game this weekend. I'm a college football traditionalist and love to see old powerhouses at the top. So I root for teams like Miami, Nebraska, and Michigan (except for "The Game" every year against OSU) to have winning seasons so it seems "right" again!

Yes, Buckeye fans can be a bit rabid. I grew up in Ohio and we Ohioans take our high school and Buckeye football very seriously.

On another note, I can't seem to escape Gator fans as it appears there are some on this board. I went to both UF vs. OSU national championship football and basketball games a few years ago and unfortunately my Bucks came out on the short end both times. If I see one more Gator chomp in my lifetime, I may hurt someone!!! But even I admit that the pic of the little Gator fan in the pillowcase dress is too cute for words. :)

AlbrightRC
09-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I voted other. I don't cheer for our home town team.. they always seem to disappoint me and make stupid decisions. Please no one call me out on this b/c I really don't know enough to form any sort of education opinion. DH watches the NFL. I actually like college football especially the Boston College games (I graduated from BC in 1996).

eta: I have a funny but warm childhood memory of cuddled up and taking naps on our den floor on cool, fall afternoon days with the sound of football announcers' voices speaking in the background.

My husband is a BC grad so those game are always on in our house..even if it means watching on the computer...yes my husband had our 2 year old saying BC and watching football on the laptop.
Beyond that we are a Ravens family.

smilequeen
09-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Take it or leave it for me. I follow northwestern and the Rams. The Rams might win a few this year which would be nice :).

arivecchi
09-10-2010, 01:37 PM
We love both college and pro football here.

1080 What a cutie! She'd make me a Gator fan for sure. :)

I could take it or leave it. That is a great way to describe how I feel about football. Please don't say this in front of my DH! You will have to come to Chitown and experience a Bears game against the Pack. It's soooo much fun!

DH and I memorized the super bowl shuffle a few years back when they went to the super bowl. We performed our own halftime show. It's not particularly gratifying to be a Bears fan, but we're faithful. :) This is true! I cannot think of a city that is more sports crazed and loyal to its teams! :thumbsup: I will never forget our Bulls championships. It was awesome!

DUNH...DUHN...DUHN...DUHN!!!! Woohoo! DH loves the NFL enough for all of us ;) I enjoy it but do grow weary around the end of December. DH's team is the Colts. I love the DUHN DUHN DUHN notes! It totally gets you riled up right away. :jammin: We are huge Colts fans too. DH has a man-crush on Manning. :ROTFLMAO:

codex57
09-10-2010, 01:40 PM
I like college over NFL, but I'm in my first fantasy football league so now I'm paying attention to the pros.

TwinFoxes
09-10-2010, 01:42 PM
I love the DUHN DUHN DUHN notes! It totally gets you riled up right away. :jammin: We are huge Colts fans too. DH has a man-crush on Manning. :ROTFLMAO:

DH totally does too! He would never admit it, but he totally does!

I used to have the DUHN DUHN DUHN DUHN as my cell phone ring tone! Man, if only I had known when I was single how many cute guys would comment on it. Once DH called me in Target because he couldn't find me, and this total cutie said "hey, that's cool, you're a cool chick!" just as DH walked around the corner. Tee hee. :)

lchang25000
09-10-2010, 02:01 PM
We love both college and pro football here. :cheerleader1:

:yeahthat: Go Longhorns!! Hook 'em!

BillK
09-10-2010, 02:02 PM
I like college over NFL, but I'm in my first fantasy football league so now I'm paying attention to the pros.

Hope ya got Drew Brees....best fantasy player....ever.

arivecchi
09-10-2010, 02:07 PM
DH totally does too! He would never admit it, but he totally does!

I used to have the DUHN DUHN DUHN DUHN as my cell phone ring tone! Man, if only I had known when I was single how many cute guys would comment on it. Once DH called me in Target because he couldn't find me, and this total cutie said "hey, that's cool, you're a cool chick!" just as DH walked around the corner. Tee hee. :) Hey, I should do this and impress DH! ;)

gatorsmom
09-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I come from a family that calls ALL sports "hockey ball." So, yeah, not so excited here.

But HUNTING SEASON, now THAT is a big deal. Dad and my brother and his kids have been out checking and setting up more tree stands, watching dear patterns and movement, checking their remote forest camaras, etc.

According to DH, he used to love football when he could drink. In fact, he loved any sports he could go and drink at. Now that he's in AA, he could take it or leave it. He does talk about taking the boys to a Texas A & M game one day, but that's all the chatter we have about it here.

mom2binsd
09-10-2010, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=babychi;2848375]Ahhh...Miami fans still crying about that championship game, huh?! ;) Should be a good game this weekend. I'm a college football traditionalist and love to see old powerhouses at the top. So I root for teams like Miami, Nebraska, and Michigan (except for "The Game" every year against OSU) to have winning seasons so it seems "right" again!

Miami fans are holding a party tonight at BWW and selling tshirts with the slogan "robbery in the desert", so ya they're still mad!

bigpassport
09-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Where is the poll option that says, "I'm a football widow. I wish it would last all year long." :ROTFLMAO: DH is a huge football fan and watches football all day on Sunday (except for church). Of course DH wants DS to be a football fan so he tries to keep DS in the room to watch. That means free time for Mommy!

P.S. Go Cowboys

SnuggleBuggles
09-10-2010, 07:10 PM
College football is one of my least favorite sports. Just when you start to really like a team or even players individually, they graduate and you have to start all over again! I like some consistency. I also think some of their rules are dumb (not to say some NFL ones aren't!).

Some years I am more into it than others. Last year I hardly paid attention. It has nothing to do with whether my team is good or not either. I guess I could take it or leave it. I think I liked it best when ds1 was a baby and we had little else that we had to do on Sundays. We also had Sunday Ticket too so we could watch all the good games!

Oh, I do hate that games are on sooo many nights! Sunday and Monday should be it!! I think that's why I got tired of it- too much football. Not special enough anymore.

Beth

YouAreTheFocus
09-10-2010, 07:35 PM
I am in the minority here. I HATE football. I hate everything about it...

I'm with you, sister! I'll throw a "Go Bears!" out here just to be nice to DH (especially since the Cubs stunk so bad this season), but really, football can't be over soon enough for me. And don't even get me started on fantasy sports...so ridiculous.

maybeebaby08
09-10-2010, 11:46 PM
I LOVE the Pats and I love football! DH isn't a big fan, but I watch every week. DD is also a huge football fan (she'd wear her jersey everyday if I let her), she loves to watch the games with me. We took her to her first Patriots game this past year and she had so much fun at the game.

Ceepa
09-11-2010, 12:35 AM
DH is a football nut but after the kids came along he has scaled back the all-day Sunday madness.

hellokitty
09-11-2010, 09:08 AM
I voted I'm a FB widow, BUT the arrival of Feb isn't a good thing. It just means he switches over to watching college basketball instead. And then as soon as it starts to warmer, he is golfing or biking several times a wk. Grrr!