PDA

View Full Version : It's crazy, but...

KrisM
09-09-2010, 10:58 PM
My house is pretty much clean, neat, and organized! Can you believe it??

It all started here (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=316778&highlight=organizing) with my question about becomming organized. It's been a long trip, with a ton of work, but I think I've mostly made it! Two years ago, only 2 bedrooms had people in it. DD and DS1 were sharing a room and DS2 was in with us. The other 2 bedrooms were full of stuff! Now, all 4 bedrooms have people in them. The closets are useful to the person living in the room. The floors are cleared and vacuumed. There aren't piles of stuff anywhere, except in my room and it's stuff to be sold in Oct. The basement play area is cleared and able to be played in. Things have homes. My junk drawer has baskets and useful things in it :). I wouldn't be embarrassed if you opened a bathroom cabinet or a closet.

It's still a struggle to keep things up, but I make myself clean the kitchen every night. At times, when we have evening activities, I let it go until morning, but that's pretty rare. I LOVE having clean counters in the morning. And I think about once a week, I have to spend a bit extra time to catch up on things that slipped, but it's not bad, really.

I have some things left to figure out, like a good way to keep track of surplus food and supplies I buy cheap. I hate running out of salsa, when I usually have it, for example.

Even DH is better at putting things away. I think it's because it's more noticeable now when he leaves things out, since most things are neat and clean.

I learned so many things here and from Organizing Junkie. Thank you for your help!

wallawala
09-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm jealous! Congratulations and you deserve to enjoy the fruits of all your hard work! :cheerleader1:

alien_host
09-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Yay! Can you come to my house? :)

sarahsthreads
09-09-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm so jealous, but very, very happy for you! I need to just jump in and do it, as overwhelming as it all is...

Sarah :)

boolady
09-09-2010, 11:07 PM
It's a great feeling, isn't it? I do the best I can, but DH is the real organizer in our house, so between the two of us, we do okay. Our home isn't perfect all of the time, but things have a place and the three of us know where they go, so usually it's pretty neat. Congratulations on all of your hard work!

katydid1971
09-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Good job mommy!!!!! I'm half way there and hearing your story inspires me to keep going!!! Thanks and Way to do!!!!!!!

KrisM
09-09-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm so jealous, but very, very happy for you! I need to just jump in and do it, as overwhelming as it all is...

Sarah :)

I started with 10 minutes a day. I took a garbage bag and either collected trash or donations for 10 minutes a day for a month. I got rid of a ton of stuff in that month. And, 10 minutes is not very long at all.

MontrealMum
09-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Good for you :bighand: I remember reading all your posts on organizing, and I know you've been working really hard on it. Congratulations!

bubbaray
09-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Congratulations!

We need pictures! :)

KrisM
09-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Congratulations!

We need pictures! :)

My most recent big push was 3 weekends ago, and there are pictures here: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2848032#post2848032.

And I posted pics of my mudroom, which I really like, here: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=368397&highlight=mudroom.

I got so many ideas of how-to from people here and the Organizing Junkie blog has a ton of ideas and links with pictures.

niccig
09-10-2010, 12:26 AM
:cheerleader1: It must feel good.

I'm slowly getting there. Our room is the worst in the house, and I hope to get that done in a couple of weekends when DH is out of town. I can put things on the bed, and sleep in DS's bunk for the nights DH is away.

I've done a major purge of several closets, but I still need to go back through and containerize (is that even a word??) and rearrange some things. I need to make my list and hit the container store and the 99c store.

Twin Mom
09-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Congratulations! I'm so jealous. DH is in the basement cleaning up his clutter as I type. I'm sitting on the computer watching Project Runway on tivo. I find it hard to get motivated since our clutter problem is so overwhelming.

essnce629
09-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Congrats!!!!

It was your post 3 weeks ago that took me over to Organized Junkie for the very first time! I love that site and it's now a "favorite" of mine. I've been doing a lot more organizing since then and it really does feel good! Thanks for recommending her blog!

KrisM
09-10-2010, 06:57 AM
I figure I will be continually going through closets to weed things out and I'll often have to redo some spaces as they get a little messy. I know that will happen, but it's good. We have a storage room in the basement that could use a few hours of work :). But, that's mostly DH's stuff and domain and I am letting him have it his way. I know there are a few things I can get out of there for him and will get to that soon.

KrisM
09-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Congrats!!!!

It was your post 3 weeks ago that took me over to Organized Junkie for the very first time! I love that site and it's now a "favorite" of mine. I've been doing a lot more organizing since then and it really does feel good! Thanks for recommending her blog!

I absolutely love her blog. I've spent hours searching for ideas there, too. I love that she likes to shop at the dollar store for containers. I also like her organizing challenges she's done because people post links to their blogs with pictures and it is so nice to see many versions of what real people did to organize a space. It was much more helpful than some of the sites with ideal spaces and solutions that cost $500.

egoldber
09-10-2010, 07:03 AM
What a great feeling that much be! Congrats!!! :cheerleader1:

jamesmom
09-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Congrats!!!

TwinFoxes
09-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Wow, that is awesome. You give me hope. :)

Ceepa
09-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Even DH is better at putting things away. I think it's because it's more noticeable now when he leaves things out, since most things are neat and clean.

This was true here, too. The other day DH was looking at photos of his apartment from his single days and he cringed. He said he was glad he now lives in a home that's tidy and admitted that 'it actually does feel better.'

Nice work, Kris!!!!! :cheerleader1:

MamaMolly
09-10-2010, 08:59 AM
:yay: Horray! Enjoy that great space. I'm another one of the Mamas inspired by your posts. I've taken the before photos of DD1's play area and am working on getting through to the afters! I already took 3 XXL ziploc storage bags of excess out of there, and am making plans for the rest of it.

Thanks for sharing your hard work with us!