PDA

View Full Version : ? for you (maybe TMI)

ourbabygirl
09-10-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm pretty sure I have a hemorrhoid, and while it doesn't bother me right now, I'm worried about how it'll hurt after I give birth next month (unless I end up having a c-section, I guess). I've never had them before, but I did have one after I gave birth to DD, and it was really painful... didn't seem like the preparation H did anything to help. Granted, I had all sorts of pain issues down there with the bleeding and stitches from my tearing.
Anything I can do now to make it go away, prevent it from hurting after giving birth, and prevent any more from occurring? I'm assuming it's from the pressure?

Thanks!

bostonsmama
09-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Other than the obvious (lots of water & fiber in your diet, not straining to go potty, sitz baths, keeping the area clean, using Tucks pads & Prep H), there isn't much you can do with a vaginal labor to prevent one from worsening if it's already there.

I've had one since the first trimester, but since I'm not really stopped up anymore, it's been kept at bay. This sounds so gross, but seriously--keep it clean with moist TP and in the shower gently wash the area since it can get infected/bleed.

I have no birthing experience with hems, but I'm just bringing Tucks and ice packs to the hospital for after labor. I hear a spray bottle helps, too, when things are really sore down there & you don't even want to wipe.

MoJo
09-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Ice/witch hazel seemed to help reduce the swelling initially.

Prep H never did anything for me either.

Mine did NOT get worse during a normal (fast, with longer & harder pushing than my first) vaginal delivery, and is now slowly shrinking.

Definitely increase fiber & water and do what you can to not get constipated to try to keep it from getting worse or getting any more.

Now that I'm postpartum, my midwife offered a script of something that should help if it doesn't continue shrinking on its own.

SnuggleBuggles
09-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I got 1 while pg with ds2. It's been almost 3 years and still there. Doesn't hurt or bother me though so I really haven't tried to get rid of it.

Beth

Drag0nflygirl
09-11-2010, 08:32 PM
I find the witch hazel to work better than anything else too. I use the Target version of Tucks, then load them up with this http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=227049&catid=59962&aid=337953&aparam=thayers_original_witch_h&CAWELAID=424851684
I got mine at Whole Foods, but it looks like it's readily available elsewhere.

Smillow
09-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Even if you have a c-section, the 'roids may "rear" their lovely heads again... the postpartum hormones kept me terribly constipated and no amount of fiber or water helped (buy a large bottle of stool softeners)! Witch hazel is your friend...