PDA

View Full Version : Kids BTS, What to do now?

Twoboos
09-10-2010, 10:17 AM
DDs are in school full time, taking the bus, and are gone 8:30-3:30 each day. Sooooo... now what do I do?

I seem to have no interests or hobbies since becoming a mom. It's been all keep the kids fed/clean/entertained/alive :) and do house stuff. OK, I read and used to go to the gym but haven't all summer. And these to not fill a day, although they can!

I've thought about getting back into my old profession (real estate) which I took a "sabbatical" from when my parents were sick and the market crashed. But the market is still pretty sucky.

Now, my brother just called and asked if I want to watch my niece (5mos) 3 days a week. They would pay me, I would go to them (45min) 2 days and he would come here one day. I hadn't thought about this at all since I know they need full time and I wouldn't be able to offer that w/school schedule. But they can be flexible w/my times.

I just need to get this out and get some opinions to help me think through everything. Do I really want to abandon my new Free Time and go back to baby-land?? WTH else would I do with myself??

egoldber
09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
A lot of moms who don't want to go back to a "regular" full time job will take that time to volunteer at the school, perhaps even work at the school, get a part time job, get some job training/re-training, etc.

I have a friend who is now substitute teaching in our district. Another friend got a job at a local college teaching one section of a class a week, another former teacher who got re-certified to teach ESOL, etc. I have another friend whose husband is a very busy lawyer and she considers her job to be supporting their home and his career.

But I think the angst of what to do with yourself once all your kids are in school is a common one. :)

bnme
09-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I am in the same situation and I don't know what I want to do either. I would like to go back to work, the money and security would be great and is somewhat needed. But I want a job that could lead to a career-type job in a few years that has part-time hours around my kids school schedule. This is really a 'dream situation' and I am coming to terms with probably getting a job with more traditional hours that would require some or a lot of before/after care.

In the mean time, I am going to get back to working out 3x per week, try some new recipes, get my house organized, and do some small projects. It is hard for me get motivated because I feel like I should be doing something bigger (like some remodeling projects - but that is so not my thing). It is AMAZING how fast the time goes. Our first week of school was only 2 days (off for Labor day and now the Jewish holiday). Next week I have several appts (hair, doctor), a PTO meeting, and a ton of shopping to do (several birthdays coming up).

I have thought about watching kids as a way to make money but I think I really want to be kid-free (either just SAHMing or at a non-kid related job!). As it is I am the go-to baby sitter for my 3 nephews and often friends. I feel the need to do something else but I just have to try and find the right thing.

randomkid
09-10-2010, 10:38 AM
If your house is all clean and organized, you can come to my house every day and tackle the ever growing list of projects that we have posted on the fridge - lol! :waving4:

No, seriously, I might consider the babysitting thing if you think you want to do it. I'd love to have a little baby to snuggle 3 days a week that I could send home to Mom and Dad at the end of the day. Of course, you need to consider that it is a big commitment. They will rely on you for childcare so they can go to work (I'm assuming). That means if one of yours is home sick or has a field trip/activity you want to attend, you'd still be committed to taking care of the baby. I like the idea of volunteering or getting a part time job. Even though my house is a wreck most of the time, I do like going to work and having adults other than family to interact with.

smilequeen
09-10-2010, 11:22 AM
My oldest just started k full days and my 3 year old is in Montessori 5 half days. DH just opened a new dental office so I agreed to work 2 days to help out (I am a dentist too). So far it's going well. I also take mornings to volunteer at the school and I do get my workouts in. Taking care of a baby sounds lovely to me, but I am starting over in February anyway ;).
It would be a big task though and you will have to have a plan if one of yours is sick or out of school. Good luck deciding! It's a big life change for sure.

edurnemk
09-10-2010, 11:39 AM
DS just started 5 day Montessori, 9 to 1. I'm still figuring out my morning rutine, especially since I'm lucky enough to have help around the house, so I don't have to clean or cook.

So, I started going to yoga again, I also take one morning to do all errands around town, and I'm freelancing for my previous employer, I'm looking into taking some classes I always wanted to take. If I didn't have the freelancing thing I'd probably look into volunteering. I also have hobbies from my pre-mommy days which I could start again but I've been putting that off.

I'm not sure if I'd want to spend my free time babysitting other kids, if I didn't have other projects I might be OK with it, but if there's other things you'd like to do with that time, it might not be the best option. I just find I have so much more energy and patience for DS after having the morning to myself and doing non-mommy things that I wouldn't want to give that up.

amyd
09-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Empty nest here too. I signed up for lots of school volunteer things in DD prek and DS 1st grade. Lunch helper,media aide,art class etc.... now I am a real helicopter parent. Thinking about yoga too.

niccig
09-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I volunteer at school.
My old work contacted me to work part-time from home 20hours a week
Get the house back into shape - purge/organize/declutter. I have so many projects that DH and I can't get done on the weekends alone.
Garden
Work out to lose weight

I'm thinking of going back to school to retrain for new career - it's going to be a process of a couple of years, but the end should be more job flexibility, job security, and long term better for DH and I when he retires - there's an early retirement age in his field, so the plan is I will be back working by then and DH will change to something else.

Honestly, *I* would not want to take on babysitting for another child unless I loved child care.

alien_host
09-10-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm in the same boat. 5 plus years of housework, laundry, keeping kid happy. People keep asking me if I'm going back to work. I'm not ready for that just yet. I feel like I have a ton of house projects that I put off all summer. LOTS of organizing to be tacked.

My plan is to spend at least 6 hours a week on house projects (she is in school 6 hrs, but it is unlikely that I'll come home and spend a full day at it). I take a pottery class one morning. I will do errands on one or two mornings. Maybe meet friends for lunch/coffee on occassion. I want to start walking two days a week.

I plan on volunteering at school, but I have no idea what the time commitment is for that.
I feel like I should get a part-time job at the Mall (you know at Pottery Barn Kids or Gymboree for the discount ;)) but right now I need to focus on the house/yardwork.

If you think you can manage the babysitting needs of your nephew with what you want to do for yourself, it sounds like a nice option. The extra $$ always comes in handy and I find if I'm busy "working" I have less time to shop and spend money.

pinkmomagain
09-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I am absolutely relishing my newly-found freetime and have no trouble filling up the day with straightening up the house, organizing, doing errands, cooking, exercising, making necessary phone calls, eating breakfast and lunch in a silent house. I am free from 8am until 230pm.

You just might want to wait a week or so before committing to something long-term, just to be sure.