PDA

View Full Version : Help with Snack Ideas?

dotgirl
09-10-2010, 02:20 PM
My DS is in 1st grade this year, and they get assigned one day per month where they have to bring snacks for the whole class. They have allergies, so the snacks need to be egg, dairy and wheat free.

Also, the snacks have to be in packages with nutrition information on them, which makes bringing fruit hard.

Any ideas? Help!

WatchingThemGrow
09-10-2010, 02:35 PM
THEY need to come up with a list. I'd pass the responsibility on to the school nurse.

I'm guessing that fruit really IS okay.

groundhog74
09-10-2010, 02:36 PM
You could probably bring those little packages of sliced apples. I'm lame and always just do fruit snacks.

belovedgandp
09-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Not 100% on my ingredient lists, but here's what came to mind, sadly some are a bit pricey:

Fruit leather or fruit bars (Target's Archer Farms)
Costco has single serving applesauce in a pouch
popcorn
dried fruit - Craisins, raisins, cherries, freeze dried apples (back to Costco there)

Wow, I'm usually better at this.

bubbaray
09-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Could you bring a pre-packaged fruit try from Costco?

Egg, dairy & wheat free is going to be hard, no doubt about that.

Honestly, why are snacks needed for grade 1??? Kids here bring their own lunches to school (no school cafeteria) and are taught starting in K to never share food. Teachers actively discourage food "treats" for b-days, etc..

WolfpackMom
09-10-2010, 02:38 PM
I cant believe that if they have allergies in the classroom, especially more than one, that they wouldnt provide a list to the parents.

Babymakes3
09-10-2010, 02:43 PM
You could do Rice Cakes - I buy the big ones in brown rice at publix, they are good, the taste kinda reminds me of popcorn. You could put peanut butter/soy butter/sunflower butter or maybe marshmallow fluff in little dixie cups or on a plate to dunk them in.

I just bought popcorn that is dairy free, it's just lightly salted.

Enjoy Life brand cookies/brownies

Plantain chips - the brand I buy is called Chifles I think, the health food store and publix carries them for sure.

Fruit snacks - the sunkist kind are faves here

Applesauce - i pick it up bogo at publix all the time, i get 6 or 8 single serving containers that way and it comes in various flavors.

Chex cereal

dotgirl
09-10-2010, 11:46 PM
I have asked for a list, but I'm not getting much of a response.

KrisM
09-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Honestly, why are snacks needed for grade 1??? Kids here bring their own lunches to school (no school cafeteria) and are taught starting in K to never share food. Teachers actively discourage food "treats" for b-days, etc..

We don't have group snacks, but DS brings a snack daily. He eats breakfast around 8 am and lunch isn't until 1pm. So, they have a snack around 10:15. The oldest neighbor is in 3rd and they have a snack, too. I think the teachers find snacks just help the kids through the day.

bubbaray
09-11-2010, 10:20 AM
We don't have group snacks, but DS brings a snack daily. He eats breakfast around 8 am and lunch isn't until 1pm. So, they have a snack around 10:15. The oldest neighbor is in 3rd and they have a snack, too. I think the teachers find snacks just help the kids through the day.

Sorry, I was unclear -- I pack snacks for the girls. DD#1 in particular needs time at school for her snack. ITA that snack time is needed.

What I don't understand is why, especially if there are FA in the class, the parents are *bringing* snacks. I would be VERY uncomfortable with that.

dotgirl
09-11-2010, 01:54 PM
DS goes to a school that has children of wildly disparate income levels - it's an extremely good school, and in fact, we were thrilled when he got in. But probably 60% of the children he goes to school with are on public assistance and have extremely limited funds.

That being said, when they tried having everyone bring their own snacks, there were some children who simply could not afford it and had no snack. The teachers tried to make up for that for a while, but that's not a sustainable practice. And there is no school-authorised "low-income snack" like there is for lunch or breakfast - and I think we can all agree that 1st grade children need a snack.

So each family is asked to volunteer to bring snacks for the class - this year in our class, we had about half the class volunteer, which means DS will actually be bringing snacks twice a month. I don't mind doing it - I was just looking for snack ideas.

Thanks.