PDA

View Full Version : Still get together with friend?

boltfam
09-10-2010, 03:13 PM
DH and I were going to have another couple and their DC over tonight. They are very good friends, and the mom called me b/c she (mom)has what she described as a "barking cough". At first I wasn't concerned, but with the resurgence of pertussis, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to still get together.

There have been very few incidences of pertussis in our area, and she said the only other symptom she has is a scratchy throat and an occasional headache.

DD is only 4 mo., so our ped's office said to keep her away if there's any chance it could be whooping cough. DH and DS will be really disappointed if we cancel because they were going to do a campout in our backyard with dad and two kids. Would you still get together. FWIW: We're planning on being outside for part of the night.

SnuggleBuggles
09-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm so lax about germs and such but this would make me nervous. If you can keep baby away from sick child then OK. At 4mo that might be possible if you hold the baby, wear the baby, keep baby just somewhere that the other kid won't be close by. I wouldn't go crazy thinking about how your older ds will be exposed...b/c germs are everywhere and unavoidable. Good handwashing from all involved would be necessary for all.

Beth