PDA

View Full Version : tumbling class, 3 yr old and unitard

HIU8
09-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Does DD wear undies under her unitard (it's sleeveless and shorts unitard)? I was going to leave her in her undies. I'm on another board where moms are in an uproar that little girls who do gymnastics should not wear underwear (to teach them how it has to be if they compete). I think this is all silly. DD is 3 and it's a beginning tumbling class. Just wanted to check here with sane mommies.

fivi2
09-10-2010, 03:16 PM
My girls wore underwear under their regular leotard to dance/gymnastics. I don't think it matters either way! I did notice the girls without undies having to deal with wedgies, but maybe that isn't an issue with the shorts/unitard thing. (and it may have been a fit issue)

Beth24
09-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Yes wear the underwear.

belovedgandp
09-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah, they are 3, no sweat. I've only seen very recreational gymnastics up to age 6, but the girls all wore underwear. They are certainly not that competitive yet.

bubbaray
09-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Our dance studio asks that the girls not wear underwear so that come production time, they are OK with not wearing underwear on stage under their costumes.

However, for a three year old I wouldn't sweat it too much. I did send my not-yet-3yo to dance last year with underwear sometimes, but weaned her off them by production time in May. Even if it is a 'big deal' for competitive gymnastics down the road, IMO, you have plenty of time to get her used to that, KWIM?

Tanya
09-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Oh, I think it's perfectly fine to wear undies under that! My kids don't compete, but it was suggested that they not wear underwear under their recital costumes, BUT that was because their panties stuck out the legs. That would *NOT* be an issue with the shorts type, so if their costumes weren't more bikini type cut, then it wasn't suggested that they go without underwear.

Neither of my daughters wore panties for pictures in their costumes OR for the recitals. It was different than what they were used to for classes (where they wore their undies), but it didn't drive them insane or anything. After all, they don't wear panties under their swimsuits.

I also wanted to mention that wearing panties underneath would also mean you wouldn't have to wash the unitard after every single class...

kristenk
09-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Most of the girls in DD's gymnastics class wear undies. I think that the girls on the gymnastics team tend to not wear anything under their leotards, but they're also not in the unitard/attached-shorts versions.

I'd go with undies, if that's what your DD prefers.

wellyes
09-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Competitive gymnasts don't wear underwear? Huh. I did not know that.

scrooks
09-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Competitive gymnasts don't wear underwear? Huh. I did not know that.

Me neither. I took lessons for years as a kid (I wasn't very good and didn't compete but had lots of fun) and always wore underwear....

K-Bear
09-10-2010, 08:46 PM
My soon to be 5 year old doesn't wear underwear under her leotard, but her younger soon to be 3 year old sister does.