PDA

View Full Version : If you are not planning having more chidren, did your Dh have a vasectomy?

moonsky
09-10-2010, 04:05 PM
My parents told me that I should tell Dh to have a vasectomy because other contraceptions are not 100% effective. What type of birth controls do you have if you are done having more children?

SnuggleBuggles
09-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Even vascectomies aren't 100%, are they? Stats are 99.9% though. :) If you really don't want to get pg then he should get one and you should do something. I have a copper IUD. Dh changed his mind on a vasectomy and didn't get one. He wasn't comfortable doing it b/c he is young and life might make it so he wants more kids in the future (with me or with someone else if something happens in our relationship). He's the one more against more kids now than me so if I get pg it'll be his fault anyway since I have my end covered. :)

Beth

niccig
09-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Well, I'm on the pill. And it's been fine, except I sometimes forget and then we have to use a condom, which both of us don't like. DH is talking about a vasectomy, but I think I'll give the IUD a try first - little less permanent. Even though we know we're done, there's something about the permanency for us that we're not ready for. I know mamas here and in IRL that love theirs. I think it's 99%, same as for the pill.

bubbaray
09-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Yes. DH got a vasectomy, somewhat unwillingly, because *I* had had 2 c/s, 3 high-risk PGys, 1 m/c and endless IF treatments. I figured *I* had done enough, thanks, it was time for DH to "step up". Dr's told me I should not get PG again for medical reasons, so DH had to do something.

brittone2
09-10-2010, 04:15 PM
DH is pro-V for himself. I'm not sure I'm ready for him to go that route, although I am 98% sure we aren't having any more kiddos.

katydid1971
09-10-2010, 04:16 PM
DH keeps putting it off. I have a Mirena and I LOVE it (as I have posted many times). He keeps say he'll do it next spring or fall etc but then is "too busy" to have it done. I really don't want more kids and neithor does he but I feel we are pretty safe with the IUD for now.

Snow mom
09-10-2010, 04:19 PM
We may or may not be done (way too early for something permanent like a vasectomy) but I just got a IUD and that seems like a good compromise. It's fully reversible but highly effective. I was shocked at the numbers that they provided on how many women will get pregnant in a year using each method of birth control. For the pill they say 5/100 (so 95% effective.) For IUDs, Depo-Provera, implants, and sterilization they say less than 1/100 (so 99+% effective.) I'm not sure how the numbers are calculated, but 5/100 seems like a big risk to me right now.

hellokitty
09-10-2010, 04:35 PM
DH got his vasectomy. I didn't really have to convince him to do it.

JBaxter
09-10-2010, 04:41 PM
It was getting to the point... Can I have one now please LOL. Yes DH got the Big V. Was no big deal for him. He did it on a friday laid around that weekend and was back to work that monday. We were/are done done done. 4 boys the last was when we were 41.

HIU8
09-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Nope, DH is not getting a V. We went through IF treatments to have our DD and DS. However, issues happen to be DH's not mine (he is sterile), so no need for one here. However we won't be going back to the RE for help anymore, so that is our form of BC.

hillview
09-10-2010, 05:01 PM
DH keeps putting it off. He needs to get it done ...
/hillary

PAfirsttimemom
09-10-2010, 05:14 PM
/hillary

:yeahthat:

cvanbrunt
09-10-2010, 05:24 PM
DH husband scheduled his own vasectomy. We knew we were done at two but he was already in his early 40s. He decided that even if I died and he remarried that he didn't want anymore kids. He said he just couldn't take the sleep deprivation anymore.

aa2mama
09-10-2010, 05:29 PM
DH is completely willing to get a vasectomy, but I love my Mirena IUD because my period is almost nonexistent. I told DH that I was keeping it whether he had a vasectomy or not, so there's no real reason for him to get one.

MelissaTC
09-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Not yet. But we have talked about it and we are thinking once he is around 40 so we have a few years left...just in case. We went through a lot via the IF treatment roller coaster and are pretty sure we don't want to do it again.

Octobermommy
09-10-2010, 05:58 PM
. He said he just couldn't take the sleep deprivation anymore.

:rotflmao:

We are probably not going to have any more kids but I will get a mirena if we decide no more kids for sure.

WatchingThemGrow
09-10-2010, 05:59 PM
/hillary
:yeahthat:

maestramommy
09-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Dh had the V done. He was not happy with me having to either take meds or put a device in my body. And we were DONE.

pinkmomagain
09-10-2010, 06:47 PM
My dh is unwilling to get one...he doesn't make for a very good patient (althought whose dh does?). I use the Mirena to prevent pregnancy.

wolverine2
09-10-2010, 08:13 PM
We haven't talked much about it because DH is not at all interested in getting one. I have an IUD (Paraguard) and am fine with that.

JMS
09-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Well, we put it off and put it off (DH's friend is even an Urologist) and then got pregnant DC #3.. so no more putting off. He had the V done before I gave birth to lessen the margin of error :)

scriptkitten
09-10-2010, 08:19 PM
i can't get pregnant without IVF so the BC is built in.

KpbS
09-10-2010, 08:33 PM
DH is plenty willing but I will be making him wait until after DD1 is born and everything is good. I am interested in Essure--the new permanent b/c method for women. It sounds quick and painless. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it here.

DebbieJ
09-10-2010, 08:38 PM
DH is getting his done on Tuesday! Wahoo!

kerridean
09-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Absolutely...about 2 weeks after DD2 was born. We are taking NO chances!!!

citymama
09-11-2010, 12:42 AM
DH has offered to get one and I'm all for it. Not sure what he's waiting for...I guess our life is a little crazy right now.

OP, your *parents* suggested your DH get a V? I don't think I could talk to mine about birth control!

And SnuggleBuggles, I'm also reeling from your DH nixing the V for those reasons. Although it's happened to others before, I can't quite wrap my head around that conversation!

baymom
09-11-2010, 01:07 AM
DH is totally willing to get one, but I have asked him to wait. Heaven forbid something happens to one of our children, we both agree that we want DC to have a sibling. In that situation, we would try for one more. It's a weird consideration, I know, but I feel strongly that they each have a sibling to rely on/grow old with. We both are close to our own siblings and really wish the same for the two of them.

wendibird22
09-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Not yet. He said he would but I just had a Mirena put in on Friday. That'll give us 5 years to be sure we are absolutely done.

Dr C
09-11-2010, 04:18 PM
My DH is a SAHD. He literally sprinted to the urologist office after DD was born!

fivi2
09-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Even vascectomies aren't 100%, are they? Stats are 99.9% though. :) If you really don't want to get pg then he should get one and you should do something. I have a copper IUD. Dh changed his mind on a vasectomy and didn't get one. He wasn't comfortable doing it b/c he is young and life might make it so he wants more kids in the future (with me or with someone else if something happens in our relationship). He's the one more against more kids now than me so if I get pg it'll be his fault anyway since I have my end covered. :)

Beth

I am not comfortable asking dh to get one for those reasons. If he decides on his own that he wants one, then we will discuss it, but it will not come from me. (I understand that many people see this as odd, but it is definitely how I feel about it.)

moonsky
09-11-2010, 06:46 PM
DH has offered to get one and I'm all for it. Not sure what he's waiting for...I guess our life is a little crazy right now.

OP, your *parents* suggested your DH get a V? I don't think I could talk to mine about birth control!

And SnuggleBuggles, I'm also reeling from your DH nixing the V for those reasons. Although it's happened to others before, I can't quite wrap my head around that conversation!

Even my parents told me, I don't feel like I should ask. I think he should be the one who initiates the idea.

JBaxter
09-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Even my parents told me, I don't feel like I should ask. I think he should be the one who initiates the idea.

When "I" called to set up DH's consultations the receptionist said 90% off the calls are made by the wife. She said it was very rare a man actually set the consulation up. They schedule the appt but not the consultation.

Men dont like to bring up surgery on their "manhood" Some need a gentle nudge ( or shove off the cliff)